Eye-rolling-ly Stupid Deaths in Games

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I've died stupidly too many times to count in games. Can't even remember them!

One of the worst NPC deaths I've seen was in Eternal Sonata.

She spends about TEN MINUTES (at least!) monologuing and flashbacking after being stabbed in the stomach. Ugh. Liked the game, despite it's super ridiculous premise, but that scene was dreadfully bad. I literally went and got a cup of tea halfway through and got back before it was finished.

EDIT: Added the spoiler, because I apparently spoiled it for someone =(

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
I remember playing the original first The Sims game.

I had spend aroun 1,5 to 2 hours to make a character(i am a slight perfectionist with character creation with those games). I was playing for like 30 minutes or so when my sim got hungry. So being smart i tried to cook something. The sim set the kitchen on fire. starting running a bit back and forth screaming.

Then i got the really brilliant idea to try and put out the fire. My sim caught fire and burned down to ashes on the kitchen floor.

I think i stared for about 10 minutes at a bunch of ash/dust that was left of my carefully created sim. I NEVER ever touched a stove again in any sims game.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
I must first explain the current run I'm doing in Fable: The Lost Chapters, not because it's necessary to understand the story, but because I'm actually ashamed of how much free time I have on my hands when school isn't in session, (this week is winter break), and need someone to tell me how stupid I'm being.

Basically, after completing all the training quests, up to the point where you get that first Wasp quest, (but without taking it), I took what little gold I had made up to that point to Bowerstone South, and began playing Card Pairs. The goal I had in mind was to purchase the Master Longbow before I did anything else. I started off with less than fifty gold, and constantly bet everything I had (it's a really easy game to win) until I reached the point where I could bet the max amount (1,000 gold). For those who don't know, the Master Longbow (at the Hero's Guild shop, anyway), costs around 35,000 gold. I don't even want to consider how long it took me to get the gold I needed, but once I had it, I took my newly purchased bow to the Hobbe Caves.

Understand this: what I was ultimately planning on doing was seeing just how long it would take me to max out all my strength stats (and the 'Speed' stat in the skill stat tree) by killing nothing but the Hobbes in Hobbe Cave. In order to do that, my plan was to use the Master Longbow to tear through the Hobbes in Hobbe Cave to get my combat multiplier up high enough to open the Demon Door just outside of the cave that contains the Cutlass Bluetane. Once I got the Cutlass (which is a legendary weapon), I proceeded to run back and forth through the first corridor of the cave and the area just outside it, ripping through Hobbes with this legendary weapon, gaining piddly amounts of experience as I did so. Spoiler: it took me a long freakin' time. I played for almost twelve hours at a stretch, and was still only nearing my goal.

Anyway, the other important thing to note is that I wasn't leveling up periodically. I would eventually use the entire mass of EXP in one shot, driving my character from the age of 19 to about 38 in the blink of an eye. This means that I was running through Hobbe Cave with that laughable little health bar that you start with, no armour (I was wearing the apprentice robes), and nothing but the items I was picking up off the Hobbes.

In Fable, when you die, your character is given a random scar on their body. What I found out is that, even if you use a health potion just before you're about to die, you still get scarred, even though you don't use up any of your resurrection phials, and the game doesn't actually tell you that you've died (the very first time it happens, a little info bubble is supposed to pop up; I haven't seen it yet). I didn't realize this until I stopped to take a break, and realized that my hero's face and chest were covered in the most badass network of scars that you'll ever see in your life. It's a good thing I'm eventually going to play toward an evil alignment: no morally virtuous person should ever look the way he does right now.

A broken death system that counts you as dead even when the game doesn't tell you you've actually died? Stupidest deaths ever.

Aug 31, 2012
Eddy-16 said:
Sad thing is the same thing nearly happened in Morrowind because I couldn't hit the bastarding thing, except I had full health when I started fighting and there was only one. I managed to get away from that one though.

Fucking Mud Crabs, bane of my existance in Tamriel
I was killed by the rat in the tutorial level of Daggerfall. I couldn't look down to hit it or run away fast enough to get it in view, so I just ran around for a couple of minutes while it slowly chewed my ankles off.

Also Fallout 3. I decided to test out the Experimental MIRV and was concentrating too hard on finding a good vantage point to lob the shot out onto some poor unsuspecting creature so I didn't notice the giant radscorpion creeping up behind me until it was very close. I did kill the radscorpion but it was somewhat of a Pyrrhic victory.

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
FavouriteDream said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Mass Effect does a good job of punishing people for not playing the previous games, it's even worse in ME3. It's impossible to resolve the Quarian Geth war peacefully without playing ME2 first.

Ironic considering they wanted ME3 to be the most accessible game in the series, all the while shouting fuck you at the people who didn't start playing at the beginning.

There wasn't enough lock outs in ME3. There should have been a plethora of situations that could only arise if you ticked specific boxes in the first and second game. Fuck the people who just started - they can get the default experience (which is still more than enough) and if they really want to they can go back and make their own story with their own outcomes. It's not like Mass Effect was some indie series that no one knew about - if you didn't play the Mass Effect series until the third game came along you shouldn't expect to have a customised playthrough, its your own fault.

That is a part of the reason most long time Mass Effect fans were disgruntled with the last game. The choices you made meant almost nothing at the end because the developers were too concerned with making it generic so everyone could play it.
Bullshit. Wrex stayed alive in ME1 when I played it, but he wasn't there when I played ME3. Reason: I had to switch platforms as my pc couldn't really take it anymore and I had gotten a PS3. A questionnaire of some sort would have been nice, I'd even pay for an interactive comic like I believe there was for ME2, but it wasn't possible in any way. It was a bad call, it's ridiculous to defend it, what do people like you gain in this except for smugness over our disconnected story? Oh right, I should have bought a new gaming rig or both previous games for ps3, replaying everything...

Dec 10, 2012
Hafnium said:
FavouriteDream said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Mass Effect does a good job of punishing people for not playing the previous games, it's even worse in ME3. It's impossible to resolve the Quarian Geth war peacefully without playing ME2 first.

Ironic considering they wanted ME3 to be the most accessible game in the series, all the while shouting fuck you at the people who didn't start playing at the beginning.

There wasn't enough lock outs in ME3. There should have been a plethora of situations that could only arise if you ticked specific boxes in the first and second game. Fuck the people who just started - they can get the default experience (which is still more than enough) and if they really want to they can go back and make their own story with their own outcomes. It's not like Mass Effect was some indie series that no one knew about - if you didn't play the Mass Effect series until the third game came along you shouldn't expect to have a customised playthrough, its your own fault.

That is a part of the reason most long time Mass Effect fans were disgruntled with the last game. The choices you made meant almost nothing at the end because the developers were too concerned with making it generic so everyone could play it.

Bullshit. Wrex stayed alive in ME1 when I played it, but he wasn't there when I played ME3. Reason: I had to switch platforms as my pc couldn't really take it anymore and I had gotten a PS3. A questionnaire of some sort would have been nice, I'd even pay for an interactive comic like I believe there was for ME2, but it wasn't possible in any way. It was a bad call, it's ridiculous to defend it, what do people like you gain in this except for smugness over our disconnected story? Oh right, I should have bought a new gaming rig or both previous games for ps3, replaying everything...
Yeah, a way to customize your previous choices would have been great for ME3. Not that I needed it personally, but it would have given the developers the opportunity to create more permanent consequences. With every major choice locking out the opposing possibilities, all that bullshit with the Rachni's inevitability and the meaninglessness of destroying or rewriting the geth and all that other stuff that turned out not to make much difference could have kept its original potential. All you have to do is start a second game and make all the other choices in the opening menu or wherever, so there is no content left out for newcomers, and all the consequences the fans of the series wanted. God, it would have been so easy...

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
lapan said:
Fought Gwyn with my Dual Bonewheelshield guy. Suddenly GFWL had a hickup and i got disconnected and thrown back to the start menu. When i reload it sets me outside the fog door with zero health left and i die.

^"I only wish I could be so grossly incandescent."-Solaire/Said no console player ever.

OT: Beginning of Resident Evil 4, got to the the lake with the boat, wanted some fish before crossing the creepy lake, shoot the water...
lets just say I got A fish.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
ShinyCharizard said:
I had just picked up GTA 3 and proceeded to hijack my first car. Turns out that it was a mafia car so the owner proceeds to pull me out and shoot me to death.
In GTA3 near death my friend pulls an old lady out of her car, she pulled him back out and hit him with her walking stick killing him. We spent awhile on the ground laughing. Talk about adding insult to injury.

As for myself, In Saints Row 3 I had been fighting the police/national guard for a good 10+ mins doing well causing chaos, I jump into a humvee and drive around shooting up the marines etc as I'm speeding through the city, I do a hand break turn around a blind corner......... into a tank coming the other way. Car came out the other side looking like a pancake, with me very very dead.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
All those clips on Halo Reach Fails of the Weak where a guy gets killed by a grenade to the crotch. And by that I mean the grenade hit him in the crotch and didn't go off and still killed him.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
I was circling around the Statue of Happiness in GTAIV when I decided to jump out my helicopter. Upon doing so the heli started to tilt sideways and one of the blades hit me, sending me flying through the air and right into the torch of the statue. My character's limp and lifeless body then ricocheted off the torch and into the ocean.

Shit was hella stoops.

bauke67

Apr 8, 2011
Just this afternoon as I was finishing fallout 3, which I'd purchased earlier this week, I died the most uselessly heroic death ever.
I sacrificed my life to save the Wasteland, because there was no dialogue option telling my radiation-resistant friend, Fawkes, to enter the heavily iradiated chamber.
A chamber that i could've just walked out of, after having saved the world, by ingesting some of my radaway and rad-ex, but again the game didn't allow that.
So yeah, a very disappointing (optional) ending, to an otherwise great game.

Also, earlier on in the game, I was walking in some subway with just one bit of health left, when I stepped on some kind of broom and it insta-killed me. I laughed at that one, though.

LordMithril

Jul 10, 2010
In numerous FPS games. Twitch react to an enemy that appears either behind or next to me.
And only then think that it wasn't to smart to have a rocket launcher selected.

Also getting killed by havok(tm) physics is a favorite. A small pebble, book or anything with a hitbox and a mass of next to nothing hitting me just the wrong way. sigh..

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
ForgottenPr0digy said:
erttheking said:
All those clips on Halo Reach Fails of the Weak where a guy gets killed by a grenade to the crotch. And by that I mean the grenade hit him in the crotch and didn't go off and still killed him.
you mean a dick bounce??
Yup...now that I think about it, every death on game fails and fails of the weak ever. (Minus the occasional awesome oneo)

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I was fast-walking to the down staircase; didn't notice my low HP... kept walking by accident (muscle memory) when I was being attacked by a couple of sewer rats and lost my last two hit points. That was a good character, too. Had Excalibur already and everything.

Or there's the time I kept wielding a cockatrice corpse in the Land of the Dead, near the exit. Stumbled into a pit and voila - instantly petrified.

Or there's the .... you know, why don't you just have a look at the trope page [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YetAnotherStupidDeath]?

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
trollnystan said:
One of the worst NPC deaths I've seen was in Eternal Sonata. She spends about TEN MINUTES (at least!) monologuing and flashbacking after being stabbed in the stomach. Ugh. Liked the game, despite it's super ridiculous premise, but that scene was dreadfully bad. I literally went and got a cup of tea halfway through and got back before it was finished.
Dude! I'm like 7 hours into that game! Granted it's like 6 years old but still:(

OT: Mine would probably have to be in Just Cause 2. I bailed out of my helicopter by mistake and tried to catch up with it.

Forgetting that helicopters have spinning blades on top of them...

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Lilani said:
Gotta say it: Aeris in FFVII. Come on, use a freaking phoenix down. You should have like 10 of them in your inventory, and you've probably used more than one on her by that point. It shouldn't have been a big deal.

Also, I was pretty mad about Wrex's death in ME1, but not for the fact that it happened. I appreciate that it was an option, but I do not appreciate that if you started a game in ME2 without uploading info from a previous ME1 save, it would start with him dead by default. That seems like the stupidest thing to me--punishing people for not having played ME1 or for some reason not being able to load the previous save by making them lose a character for the rest of the series. If they had to make the decision for the player (because it seems to me it shouldn't be hard to just let the player choose what had happened via some sort of questionnaire), they should have gone with the option that gave them more content, not less.
Wait REALLY? I remember playing ME2 by default without a save (it's what got me into the series), and I could've SWORN he was there... God damn it. Thank god for saves I guess.

OT: I don't know. Deckard Cain? in characters. "HA, IT WAS ALL A CLEVER RUSE, I IN FACT HAVE EVERYONE TRAPPED IN DECKARD'S CLOSET! GETTING CLOSER TO THE CLOSET. OPEN THE CLOSET. WHAT'S IN THE CLOSET. DECKARD'S DEAD IN THE CLOSET."

As far as my own: Too many to count. I played a ret paladin in wow, it kind of classifies me as blissfully suicidal.