Fable 3 Coming to Steam

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
While I'm not going to buy it, since I have the 360 version and had since it came out, I see this is as nothing but good; because frankly the idea of "exclusives" piss me the hell off. I prefer Steam because the program itself is minimal and less cluttered then all the others I've seen, it lets me keep my games in order, so I'd prefer to buy my DD games through it, but I can see where some might prefer another platform.

Choice is a good thing, if you want to nudge people towards one platform or another, do what they are doing here, offer incentives, don't force people, let them chose what is best for their own personal needs.

Mercurio128

Jan 28, 2010
And in other news, fable fans watch in awe as paint continues to dry up and down the nation.

Certainly more fun than watching a beloved franchise have its magic and appeal hacked away with every new iteration.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
I'm glad the PC port was delayed this long. Otherwise I would have bought this game before I read reviews on it.

It's a terrible game!

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Ok, pre-order Fable III, get Fable I free, good deal.

But where in the heck is a port of Fable II?

I'll pass.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I'll pick it up when it is on sale for Christmas on steam, no way am I paying for this considering it has been how many months since the 360 release? Seriously, PC gamers need to stop putting up with this nonsense, but not buying it will simply tell the companies that we're not interested and they'll just stop releasing the games completely.

Estoki

May 25, 2010
I highly doubt this will increase sales, if they actually wanted to make any major profit from this they should have released it along with the X-Box 360 version so the PC crowd doesn't get months to read all the mediocre reviews it got.

Curse you, Peter Molyneux.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
aashell13 said:
Ghengis John said:
What's everyone's problem with Games For Windows Live anyways? Other than not possessing the most replete library.
Its also frustrating and difficult to use to the point of being broken. I was forced into using it because they left the GFWL DRM in the steam version of BioShock 2, and nothing about the experience made me want to come back. In fact, it was so bad that if I see GFWL on a box somewhere or in the system's requirements now, I just keep walking. The sheer frustration just isn't worthwhile, no matter how good the game itself might be.
gigastar said:
Ghengis John said:
What's everyone's problem with Games For Windows Live anyways? Other than not possessing the most replete library.
Its about as user friendly as a brick. Just like a brick, you stick it somewhere then it innately resists all attempts to do anything else with it.

Besides its more a case of Steam and other DDP's being better, much better.
See now I never had a problem with it. I already had an Xbox live account, I told it "Bind to this live ID" and everything ran swimmingly and I had it for a few titles without any hassles.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I choose neither, Andy. Peter "Dances with Teletubbies" Molyneux has bashed his own product, as have a number of other sources. After playing 1 and 2 I can safely assume that any drop in quality from already low points won't do the game any favors. This talk of deals doesn't entice me either way, and a turd is still a turd, even if it's going at a bargain value with turd tack-on freebies or older turd freebies.

Not that it matters. Any company that demands my money for a product they can bar me from playing at their leisure is a company that will receive no patronage from me. STEAM's already pulled crap before (thinking BioShock DRM disaster), and the recent EA Dragon Age lockout only makes me even more skittish (and if memory serves me that wasn't even a digital copy!).

Bah!

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
Ghengis John said:
See now I never had a problem with it. I already had an Xbox live account, I told it "Bind to this live ID" and everything ran swimmingly and I had it for a few titles without any hassles.
That's the rub. it doesn't work well at all in the other direction.

Kraj

Jan 21, 2008
Hmm. So I get to choose which companies program is going to slice my finger webbing with digital paper. Seeing as I already own TLC

Steam it is.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Yes. Release a game on the PC way late behind the console version for full price, no less. And then do it on the same day The Witcher 2 comes out.

I thought you people were supposed to be good at business.

Despite the offer of a free game, people are still probably gonna get the Steam version on the virtue of avoiding GFWL.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
GamingAwesome1 said:
Despite the offer of a free game, people are still probably gonna get the Steam version on the virtue of avoiding GFWL.
Kraj said:
Steam it is.
Even the Steam version will be Games For Windows: LIVE installed. I don't need another Dawn of War. Go away, Microsoft.

The only way Microsoft is even throwing PC gamers a bone with an Xbox exclusive is because they they're trying desperately to keep their own sinking ship afloat.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Gennadios said:
The only way Microsoft is even throwing PC gamers a bone with an Xbox exclusive is because they they're trying desperately to keep their own sinking ship afloat.
Didn't that ship already broke in half? (think: "titanic")

Anyhow, if ever i'll be interested with Fable 3, i'd get it on Steam. Why? I don't want multiple Digital Distribution Platforms on my PC! And since Steam create the best deals at certain times, i'll wait for that price slash first. :D

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
GFWL isn't too bad these days. Its starting to work better than it used to. But Its still not steam or even Impulse. I've used all 3 services. I have one game bought on GFWL, about 6 on Impulse and like 150 on Steam

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Irridium said:
Of course, when 2 came out 1 all of a sudden became a "misunderstood classic" or something like that. While 2 became a piece of ass, despite improving on so many things. And now that Fable 3 is out, I see 2 getting a lot less hate.

So I wouldn't take what people say about the Fable games as buying advice.
Believe it or not, Fable is what got me back into gaming. A bunch of my friends during my freshman year of college grouped together to convert one dorm room into a chill hangout and gaming room. One guy had Fable and Knights of the Old Republic. I got addicted to those games after not having played any games for like 5 years prior.

I do still love the original Fable. The second one remains my biggest disappointment and (because of that) my most hated game ever.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"There can be only one," as the saying goes, and in the world of digital distribution for the PC, that's Steam, plain and simple.
I doesn't have to be, all Microsoft have to do is show a little restraint and common sense with a Digital distribution network and they'd be golden.

It is a crowning failure that Microsoft cannot make Games for Windows Live functional ON THEIR OWN OPERATING SYSTEM when all these other download/rights-manager apps have proliferated with such ease:

-iTunes
-BBC Dekstop iPlayer
-Spotify

There could easily be a competitor to Steam if they weren't so useless at managing digital rights.

Until Microsoft get their act together, here's hoping they release more games this way. Particularly the more recent Halo games that IMO would benefit from mouse aim a lot.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
GamingAwesome1 said:
Yes. Release a game on the PC way late behind the console version for full price, no less. And then do it on the same day The Witcher 2 comes out.

I thought you people were supposed to be good at business.
They are good at business... that's why they invented the Xbox!

Think about it:
-absolute control of the platform and network
-able to charge an annual fee for multiplayer without dedicated servers
-license fee for every single game (unlike PC programs)
-new audience "in the living room" mass market
-separate from business/enterprise constraints

Fable 3 is being released on Steam for the same reason it's being released on PC at all, Microsoft don't care. They are just trying to back up some token PR bullshit about "supporting PC gaming" when they know the can make way way more in the price-mark-up console realm.

If they are serious about PC gaming, where is Gears of War 2 on PC? Cliffy B's objection to piracy is a front the lack of a PC version is 100% microsoft's responsibly as the people on the purse strings collecting the money.

Not just that but:
-Halo 3
-Halo ODST
-Halo Wars (how can an RTS not go well on pc?)
-Alan Wake (a PC version was even half developed!)