Facebook Buys The Escapist for $90 Million - Update

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Fiairflair said:
I'll be honest, you got me at first. But the bit about cash bonuses gave it away. I just can't see facebook doing that. Then I noticed the Rolling Stone bit and the $90 million sale price.
Same here, I almost screamed but I took a moment to look at the rest and saw the cash bonuses as well. There is no way in hell Facebook would do such a thing.

Very clever guys but damn it all if you didn't make my heart flatline... D:

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Aw, come on ... it's not really an April fools "prank" if you can tell from the title that it's a prank.

You priced yourself far too high, might have paused for thought at $100K but $90 mil? You over reached and ruined it.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
You didn't even go fully through with it and have facebook and banners and and ads, shame on your April fools.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
TopazFusion said:
Does this mean I get a pay rise? AWW YIS!
I think Facebook would downsize your department.

OT: Time to go through the comments and see who fell for this one.

Splitzi

Apr 29, 2012
Seriously? People bought this? How gullible are some people? Who in their right mind would pay $90 mil for this site. Although... the adds couldn't possibly get any worse then they already are (hopefully) and The Escapist already has so many clickbait articles that it should be a very smooth transition.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
omega 616 said:
You priced yourself far too high, might have paused for thought at $100K but $90 mil? You over reached and ruined it.
Facebook paid a billion for instagram, if the story had said 90 billion I would have believed it.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
90 million is not enough. Though if it stops Ads? Hang on......FB would still include ads. :) DAMN YOU SELLOUTS!!!!!

Hee hee.

Captcha: London Calling. (well typing would be more appropriate.)

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
With all the ads rammed down our throats and the Facebook integration I thought the Escapist was already owned by Facebook!

/I keed, I keed

La Barata

Apr 13, 2010
Ha.

Ha ha ha.

Oh god. I'm dying.

This is so funny. I swear.

This is the wittiest thing anyone has ever done.

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
HA! ok I was expecting some kind of April Fools thing, but that was still really funny.
Jandau said:
"Facebook Buys The Escapist for $90 Million"

Hah, you'd wish! Maybe if the title were "Facebook Buys The Escapist for a Starbucks gift card and a Magic: The Gathering booster pack", then it would be plausible... :p
This comment is why I shouldnt drink while reading comments

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
The actual Joke is that The Escapist is even worth $90 million. SWOOSH!

(yeah, I'm guessing someone beat me to that, but I don't care)

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Oh come on guys, we know it's april fools and we're fresh off the oculus rift scandal. At least say something like "The escapist was recently bought by the NSA" or "The escapist is investing in nuclear weapons and lightsaber technology". I would have at least laughed at the absurdity of those ones.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Congratulations, Escapist! I'm glad to see everybody's going to take the transition well. Here's hoping The Escapist sees another thirty years of quality journalism and community involvement!