Facebook to Get an FPS

Brock Samson

Mar 29, 2010
a contest is running where they are giving away the first beta key for brave arms. all you have to do is come up with a winning name for a weapon kit and its parts.. im having a brain fart and cant think of anything!
here's the contest:
http://www.facebook.com/bravearms?v=app_2373072738

Brock Samson

Mar 29, 2010
Gameplay video on youtube.. looks good, fast and furious for sure, better than i expected:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqzBmC5p2DA

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Buzz Burbank said:
I agree, first person shooters are a fast paced, intense experience and completely different from the turn based genres. I personally am glad there is a FPS coming out on facebook, there are PLENTY of coffeebreak titles already, its staggering. Facebook needs a game that i can actually PLAY, instead of manage which makes it feel like chores instead of fun.
True any FPS will not be as work friendly beacuase it actually involves your full attention but again there are PLENTY of games that dont. Believe it or not there are people like me who dont social network while working and use facebook at home so this is not an issue.
I dont think Brave Arms will change gaming or be as big of a success as farmville or many similar titles but i DO think it will be a fun free shooter that i can't wait to try.
I see where you're coming from, but I just don't see it being compatible with the whole facebook "thing". FB is, at heart, just a big ol' messageboard. Like a 4chan where no-one's anonymous and you pre-approve people who can talk to you (or at least, the friends-of-friends through whom they can do so). It doesn't "need" a game of any sort tacked onto it. The little flash based coffeebreak games are little more than hangers on that take advantage of the general-purpose "application" thing and happen to be of the right type to work well with that, the FB "feel", and the data in/out routes that are available to them. Basically they make messageboard posts that can be clicked through to grant extra bonuses (or publicise help requests) to your friends.

Turn based games do that well; Farmville and Battle Stations already have non-simultaneous co-op modes, e.g. ganging together to kick hell out of a boss (over 3 days). First-person shooters require everyone to be on at the same time, and just looking at my chat list or "friends online" readout, there'd generally be barely enough folks all together at the same time to make a fairly simple capture-the-flag work, let alone a general deathmatch. Besides, as previously noted, almost anything can run the existing game-ettes, if not necessarily at a great speed, and you can check on progress via notifications even with your barely-smart phone. Systems that occasionally stutter with farmville are going to die with a shooter, and that knocks even more potential opponents off your simultaneously-online list even if your system is good.

The closest I've seen of this so far is Battle Stations' "clan war" mode, and though that IS a simultaneous action thing, it still covers quite a long time period for its single round of actions, is still a leap in- and out- at leisure paradigm (your participation basically limited by your "action points" and health), has near-automated notifications sent out to all clan members for once- or twice-a-week fights at fairly fixed, standardised times... which they manage to get a few tens of players out of generally 100+ clan membership, looking at the names probably those who would otherwise play Starcraft ;). The "game" part of it, despite being ostensibly graphical, could be easily displayed on a 40x8 character LCD display. Push button to choose attack. See how that attack has affected the other clan's fort and the health of your own fort and ship. It's still turn based, not even as interactive or twitch-response as command & conquer!

There are plenty of this kind of game that are released as completely separate applications, natively coded for their target platforms, and they do well (WoW, CoD, TF, etc etc etc etc) - and it's just as complicated to organise getting everyone online to play one of those as it is to get them together for a facebook one. Hell, you can use FB to do it, and not all your opponents need to be on that - just one of many - social network to play.

Therefore there has to be a reason that they're making and publicising it this way. I suspect a rather lacklustre shooter that's partnering with facebook to a/ get players that it otherwise would never see, b/ drag people onto that soc net when their friends say "hey, wanna play?" and they find that they can't do without joining. Everybody wins ... well no. The game makers and facebook win, the players end up signed onto a data-harvesting network that they otherwise wouldn't have touched and end up playing a comparitively poor game. Otherwise why not just release it normally and let it stand on its own merits?

That said, I'm still going to have a look now it's out. It may defy expectations. It may only need as much processing power as Half Life 1, which is about what my Intel 915 graphics system can support. But only because I'm already on FB, and I've seen the link put here. There's plenty of things just like this that I already ignore on facebook's own advert feed. There's only enough space in the day for one and a bit of these games unless you're a serious gamehead who does little else.

And for the record, I access it *briefly* at work (there are short windows where it's unblocked for staff access across the network, _literally_ making it a coffee/lunchbreak occupation), and more seriously at home. So it's not like it's only during those breaks that I facebook. But it's still not like I'm on it all goddamn evening, like one might with a "proper" instant messenger, or IRC.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
hmm it wants me to make a screen name and enter my email address. interesting. so much for being integrated with my facebook ID, then. and even now, it's still "beta".

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Well, we're off to a good start. I gave it an email address (forgot to use Gorillamail, whoops), got my confirmation code ... decided not to publish to my wall, hit "skip" on the "bother all your friends about this" page (usually you get one of those every half hour in one of these things, so I can always do it later) .........

turns out the skip button is a clickjacker, according to noscript. I unlock it anyway out of curiosity... and it can't find the page. Even though it's apparently a FB internal one (widgets/serverfbml.php). Retry, selecting to send it to my dad, with a personal message telling him to ignore it. It's still broken. Even with all scripts enabled.

So, yeah. Screw it. The screenshots on the "sign up!" page look ugly anyway. I think I'll just load up Counterstrike and see if there are still any active servers.

Jun 26, 2009
for some reason i feel compelled to
and the one that started it all
I don't like facebook to me it's a facepalm.
so as you could geuss i don't give two.
ooh page 3