Fake Fallout 4 Teaser Site Was Created to Make You Freak Out

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Fake Fallout 4 Teaser Site Was Created to Make You Freak Out

The person behind TheSurvivor2299.com is a self-proclaimed "asshole" that "just want to watch the world burn."

We wanted to creator admitting he's not with Bethesda [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130307-Fallout-4-Teaser-Site-Welcomes-You-To-The-Institute], we are forced to accept the truth. It was all a ruse.

But why? Why would someone do get so many fans' hopes up, just to crush them when the truth came out? The guy behind The Fallout 4 hoax started a Reddit AMA [http://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/1scis2/uhm_hello_im_the_prick_behind_thesurvivor2299_ama/] yesterday to answer questions and explain the what, where and why of it all.

Going by "DCHoaxer," the site-owner explained he built the site because he knew it would get a rise out of fans. His exact words: "Some men just want to watch the world burn." Though he had a specific objective, to "force Bethesda to reveal something during VGX," his general tone makes the whole thing sound more like a prank than a mission.

Despite his seemingly frivolous motivations, the hoaxer was very committed to the prank, only calling off the charade once Bethesda confirmed the site fake and contacted him about it directly. If the site hadn't been revealed as a fraud, DCHoaxer says he planned to keep building hype for the game, and cap things off with a fake CGI trailer reveal. The hoaxer says he still plans to release his trailer eventually, but feels he should wait awhile to "let things cool off a little." Considering he's allegedly gotten 14 death threats, it might be a good idea for him to lay low for awhile.

In addition to the insane amount of time and effort, the hoaxer sunk a fair bit of money into the project. After hosting, traffic and other expenses, the Survivor2299 site cost "approximately 900$" to run. Again, when asked why he was willing to spend so much money just to trick people, his explanation was simply: "I'm one of these 'selfish bastards with a lot of money," he wrote. In the end, though, it sounds like DCHoaxer got his money's worth, confirmed that, "yes," the prank was exactly as fun as he thought it would be.

Source: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/1scis2/uhm_hello_im_the_prick_behind_thesurvivor2299_ama/]

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Now, I'm not happy about internet pranks either, but this doesn't exactly qualify as "death threat"-grade justifiable anger. Let's all simmer down a bit and let the Bethesda assassins do their jobs...

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
Damn! And the bits that we did get from that website actually sounded pretty interesting for the premise of a Fallout game. Oh well. I'm sure Bethesda is still working on it, it just won't be ready anytime soon.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
When he says "watch the world burn" he means in flame wars right? Also because it's fitting.

<youtube=HC7CiSQR2vE>

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
He did a good job, the world needs more arseholes like him to cause mischief without harming people. I'm unsuprised to hear he got death threats which is the sad but true reality of gaming these days (please direct any death threats for this comment to thensa@whateverthensasemailadressisseriouslyimtolazytogoogleit.gov).

I'm not sure whether he really expected Bethesda to actually announce something because of this though, I don't see why a fake teaser site would give them a call to action.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
I'm not even mad. This whole hoax has been impressive. He had me fooled for quite a while (although when the original EU trademark was taken down, I was pretty much sure of its falsity).

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
"Watch the world burn"? Don't overestimate your importance there, big guy. I'll openly admit I'm kind of disappointed the rumours about an MIT-based Fallout 4 were wrong as far as we know, but I'm not "freaking out" over it and I doubt very many other people are, either.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
900 bucks to prank the internet? gotta admit I admire the guy's commitment. and I'd love to see that trailer.

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Forget death threats, I want to send this guy a basket of cookies. Those involved had a bit of fun, he got some of that anonymous attention that we all love so much in the internet, and we all got to think a bit about what the future may hold. No harm no foul.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Sounds like something I'd do if I had the effort. I can't stay angry at that. Good job buddy, please do more.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
People seriously take 'death threats on the internet' seriously?
REALLY? Most of the people that issue them are 10 year old kids whose moms left them with their babysitter... BY that i mean the wonderful box that is PC.

I mean come on...
Other than that, i was actually one of the idiots that fell for it, and really hoped it was true. Kinda bummed out after it was revealed a hoax, but i can live with that.
Kudos, you rich internet douchebag, kudos

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
The Gentleman said:
Now, I'm not happy about internet pranks either, but this doesn't exactly qualify as "death threat"-grade justifiable anger. Let's all simmer down a bit and let the Bethesda assassins do their jobs...
had they done their jobs, they wouldn't have waited this long for it to get to this point

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
The Hungry Samurai said:
So basically he just said "I just want to set the world on fire?"
I see what you did there.

Credit where credits due, this guy put alot of effort in and got a good result out of it. Sure as hell had me going.

Ace O'Hagen

May 28, 2013
I, for one, applaud him. He created a wonderful, brilliant Internet hoax, and no one got sued or had a SWAT team called on them. Everyone won, except for the assholes that sent death threats, they're just giant losers.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
weirdguy said:
The Gentleman said:
had they done their jobs, they wouldn't have waited this long for it to get to this point
Hey, you can't just disappear someone and expect it to do the job of intimidating anymore. People disappear all the time. You need to force them to apologize publicly (possibly at gunpoint), make themselves out to be a twat, and then disappear them never to be seen or heard of again...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Mr.Tea said:
erttheking said:
When he says "watch the world burn" he means in flame wars right?
notsureifserious.gif

EDIT: Crap, forgot the second part of my post. It's all serious as hell in TDK, but the phrase has become a meme [http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/some-men-just-want-to-watch-the-world-burn] for trolling, not to bask in angry reactions, but just for the hell of it.
I know the quote. What I'm saying is "He's being cute when he's saying that right? It's a play on words that when he means 'watch the world burn' he means in flame wars right? Taking what the Joker said and putting it in a different context?"