Fake Geek Girls

DoveAlexa

Oct 28, 2009
Mike Fang said:
M'kay, scanned the article that was linked to in the dialogue underneath the comic. I think both Harris and Faraci have legit points...and both where they're acting like idiots. First, Harris; it is true, some of these ladies are just looking for attention because they like toying with people. Women like that are bitches because they're treating the men in a given fan community in a way very similar, if not identical, to the way some men treat women as nothing more than meat; both are using the opposite gender to get what they want with no concern for other people's feelings.

However, as Faraci points out, Harris goes so bonkers at points he overlooks the fact that anybody in costume at a convention is looking for attention. It's not fair to just blame the women who go there for it, the guys do it too. Maybe not for the exact same reasons, but it's still an attempt at getting people to stare. The question is whether or not the woman doing it would be appreciative of the people giving her that attention, or if she would just kick any attention-giver to the curb if he tried to get to know her better after she'd had her fun.

But while Faraci correctly points out that just because an attractive woman cosplays or shows up at a convention without a lot of knowledge of comics, movies, etc. the convention's about doesn't immediately mean they're doing something reprehensible, he THEN goes on to do something stupid; he talks about how nerds will overlook the "real" girl nerds and only talk to the attractive women that are "out of their league". Okay, the stupidity here is twofold. First, it insinuates that no "real" girl nerds can be physically attractive; nice job reinforcing the stereotype there. Saying that paints the picture of the nerd girl as always having to be plain looking or downright unattractive.

Second, by supporting the notion that person A can be out of person' B's league based solely on physical appearance, he also perpetuates the very shallowness he just tried to speak against. The concept of people being in leagues based on physical attractiveness utterly negates the idea that things like personality, shared interests, intellect, and the like are more important than looks. It's a concept that suggests no matter how much two people may have in common or may find appealing in one another, as long as one of them is better looking (by the majority-accepted definition of attractiveness) than the other, there can never be anything romantic between them.
If I could, I'd make this the be first thing everyone sees when starting up their PC/console. Make them read it before going on to doing the kinds of things that get you put on fatuglyorslutty.com.

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
None of their costumes are Spider-Man related so why would they even know the answer?:p

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Cory Rydell said:
FelixG said:
88chaz88 said:
Also are you seriously accusing Grey of pointing out this issue solely for the attention?
Are you seriously unaware that the point of a web comic is to get page views?

And I am pointing out that this is the second item this week that has gone on about fake gamer girls on this website.
We occasionally try and tell jokes too.

It may be possible that Grey saw the Jimquisition episode, thought of something funny, pitched the idea to me, I liked it, then we made a comic about it.
For what it's worth, I think this was a good idea too.
>_> But I have been up for the last 24 hours, so I could see the end of Desert Bus.

It was worth it!

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Now that security check was unfair. Most REAL Spider-fans would rather pretend the Clone Saga didn't happen. Asking a trick question like that was just cruel to those ladies.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Pandora92 said:
And what happens if someone starts to wonder where the security guy at the door vanished to? Sometimes I really wish Mami wouldn't get so ahead of herself.
I laughed.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Captain Pancake said:
Ben Reilly.
That is the most correct answer as Ben was the only intact clone. You could have also, just to spite everyone else in the world, use Kane.

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
I don't live in the US, so is this Fake nerd girl really a thing? I mean, in the same week we had this topic here, on Jimquisition and on SMBC. Are we really that concerned that attractive women are interested in games and etc? Or is this more related with the booth babes kind of thing?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Fake Geek Girls

How it Works
There's absolutely no way this can go wrong, just like Jim's comment section is a lovely field of flowers and rainbows, right?

Also, a little birdie informed the internet that you enjoy "PonPonPon". I'm currently trying to think of a way to slip it into one of your comics/news articles and have it be relevant, if my avatar isn't counted.

Er. Getting back on topic. I hope Phase 2 involves getting those darn "cooties" all over nerdy things, as we all know cooties taint everything they touch.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I like the Clone saga more than house of M and anything Marvel U..... still love all the 2099 stuff to death tho ^0^

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
I've seen only two things about Fake Geek Girls and both are on this website.

Though seriously, girls want to dress up as video game/anime characters to appeal to nerds... and people are complaining? The world has gone mad! It's like complaining about cheerleaders not knowing anything about football.

Apr 28, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Sure but can you name all the characters the girls are cosplaying as?
I can't. I can only recognize Catwoman. And I only know that because of the Arkham games. Yeah, I've never read a Batman comic. Or any comic. At all. Ever. Because I don't care. But I enjoy the games, movie, and the 90's Batman cartoon. And not just Batman, but other cartoons, games, and movies based on the characters.

And apparently I'm assumed to just "know" all this stuff. Lol, it's so easy to fool you guys. Hell, it's WAY easier for me, a guy, to fake all this, since nobody questions you if you are a guy! It's pretty great.

And I'm not the only one, oh no-no-no. There's lots of us. We are everywhere. On your forums, at your cons. We are in every part of every fandom, and you don't suspect a thing.

And yes, I referenced the Joker. Without ever reading a Batman comic. All I know about him is from that cartoon.

Sleep tight.

Sanguine

Dec 22, 2011
There's rather an alarming amount of people who are replying:

"Duh we've been over this"(paraphrased of course)

Which is ironic since the inability of people to just laugh at the comic, or just ignore it and not post a comment, is pretty clear evidence that we are not over this.

Come on guys, yes something that was an issue before is an issue again, it isn't amazing to figure out a pattern and it isn't absurd that two people on a website might want to use it as material.

[EDIT] Due to me being an idiot, most of this post is rescinded because I didn't look through it properly the first time.

Mike Fang said:
Very levelheaded and rational summary, I applaud your efforts to try and drill some reason into the comments section.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Sure but can you name all the characters the girls are cosplaying as?
Kopikatsu said:
The one on the left is Mai Shiranui, and the one on the right is Catwoman.

I know who the one in the middle is, I just can't remember her name...but she's so familiar...dammit!
Mami Tomoe from Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I knew her and Catwoman but couldn't remember Mai's name. All I was thinking was "Damn, she's from King of Fighters! You'll never guess it!"

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
KeikakuKat said:
Hooray for the Madoka Magica reference! That's the best anime I've seen in years.
Indeed. I watched it recently, and am completely blown away by how much I loved it.

Sanguine said:

Which is ironic since the inability of people to just laugh at the comic, or just ignore it and not post a comment, is pretty clear evidence that we are not over this.
Saying "We have been over this" does not mean "We are over this", it means "This topic has been discussed so many times it does not need discussing again."

I am not saying that I agree or disagree with the people saying it, but your response doesn't really make much sense.

Sanguine

Dec 22, 2011
Legion said:
Sanguine said:

Saying "We have been over this" does not mean "We are over this", it means "This topic has been discussed so many times it does not need discussing again."

I am not saying that I agree or disagree with the people saying it, but your response doesn't really make much sense.
You are quite right it doesn't necessitate it, but the implication typically trying to be brought across is that it requires no more going over as you've said. My point is both that if it does require no more going over, adding to the debate and saying that it needs no more going over is nonsensical, since others clearly feel the need to and it is then a difference of opinion rather than argument.

Though I'm slightly curious about how exactly the two ending quotes that you make come out with different conclusions, surely it "having already been discussed" and it "not needing discussing" are essentially similar, as the implication of "it has already been discussed" is that it requires no further discussion. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm simply curious as to whether you have a differing opinion.

But quite right pointing out my nonsensical statement, thank you.

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
Cory Rydell said:
FelixG said:
Jokes?! The internet is Srs business sir!

Though I should point out that I never said it wasn't funny, nor that I didn't enjoy it. I was commenting on the escapist as a whole as well, not your comic in particular.

And to be fair I wouldn't have been able to answer the guys question either :p
Heh, I wouldn't have been able to either... I wasnt trying to insinuate anything though. Sometimes, it just seems like I ponder less about the subject matter of our jokes than the readers do.

I mostly just want you guys to notice when I sneak cats into the comic (I failed on this strip...)
That's a common thing though Cory, I mean honestly I doubt George Lucas would have predicted an entire religion in THIS world would spring up from the Star Wars movies.

Consumers always put more thought into the products and media they consume than those who make them, especially now as people are assuming everything has hidden meanings. I do it myself, we try to find something else beneath the surface even in the most bizzarre places. I guarantee if you were to be with myself and my friends any given night that we are together we're arguing about the bigger moral meaning of Tyler Durden creating a male split personality that cares more about women than he does, or the eventual karmatic concequences of the Jedi having copied their lightsabers off of old Rakkatan Technology that was so deeply based in the Dark Side that use of one could end up killing it's weilder.

Hell, I've spent hours arguing with people online and in person about the weight of Leto Atredies II's "golden path" and whether or not it actually helped.

Most of that is essentially pointless when you consider that Star Wars was originally intended as a sort of sci-fi soap opera, being all about the people and less about the larger universe it takes place in, that Fight Club was a man writting a book to tell people to not be sheep and essentially nothing else, and that Dune was actually more about the domineering human spirit rather than anything akin to despotic dictatorships versus peaceful republics.

We love the media we consume however, and thus we look for more meaning than it may actually be intended to have.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Sanguine said:
Though I'm slightly curious about how exactly the two ending quotes that you make come out with different conclusions, surely it "having already been discussed" and it "not needing discussing" are essentially similar, as the implication of "it has already been discussed" is that it requires no further discussion. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm simply curious as to whether you have a differing opinion.
The difference really would be that some people are just the kind who will point out that something has been discussed before. The same kind of people who tell people to use the search bar (on a side-note, this seems a lot rarer than it used to). They just like doing it for whatever reason.

The second one would be people who are just tired of topics that have been discussed into the ground being brought up again when they were seemingly over.

Admittedly the first part is somewhat irrelevant and didn't really add to the point I was making.

Winterknell

Nov 23, 2012
Mike Fang said:
M'kay, scanned the article that was linked to in the dialogue underneath the comic. I think both Harris and Faraci have legit points...and both where they're acting like idiots. First, Harris; it is true, some of these ladies are just looking for attention because they like toying with people. Women like that are bitches because they're treating the men in a given fan community in a way very similar, if not identical, to the way some men treat women as nothing more than meat; both are using the opposite gender to get what they want with no concern for other people's feelings.

However, as Faraci points out, Harris goes so bonkers at points he overlooks the fact that anybody in costume at a convention is looking for attention. It's not fair to just blame the women who go there for it, the guys do it too. Maybe not for the exact same reasons, but it's still an attempt at getting people to stare. The question is whether or not the woman doing it would be appreciative of the people giving her that attention, or if she would just kick any attention-giver to the curb if he tried to get to know her better after she'd had her fun.

But while Faraci correctly points out that just because an attractive woman cosplays or shows up at a convention without a lot of knowledge of comics, movies, etc. the convention's about doesn't immediately mean they're doing something reprehensible, he THEN goes on to do something stupid; he talks about how nerds will overlook the "real" girl nerds and only talk to the attractive women that are "out of their league". Okay, the stupidity here is twofold. First, it insinuates that no "real" girl nerds can be physically attractive; nice job reinforcing the stereotype there. Saying that paints the picture of the nerd girl as always having to be plain looking or downright unattractive.

Second, by supporting the notion that person A can be out of person' B's league based solely on physical appearance, he also perpetuates the very shallowness he just tried to speak against. The concept of people being in leagues based on physical attractiveness utterly negates the idea that things like personality, shared interests, intellect, and the like are more important than looks. It's a concept that suggests no matter how much two people may have in common or may find appealing in one another, as long as one of them is better looking (by the majority-accepted definition of attractiveness) than the other, there can never be anything romantic between them.
You all need to pay attention to this post. It's another example of journalists and general commenters talking about an issue they pretend to be above when they're clearly not.

Sanguine

Dec 22, 2011
Legion said:
The difference really would be that some people are just the kind who will point out that something has been discussed before. The same kind of people who tell people to use the search bar (on a side-note, this seems a lot rarer than it used to). They just like doing it for whatever reason.

The second one would be people who are just tired of topics that have been discussed into the ground being brought up again when they were seemingly over.

Admittedly the first part is somewhat irrelevant and didn't really add to the point I was making.
Good point. It would be unfair to lump these two categories into one malicious category, especially when they lack the malice that I'm ascribing to them. I take what I said back, thank you for clarification.