Fake Geek Girls

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Sure but can you name all the characters the girls are cosplaying as?
a bad copy of Catherine
No, it is Mami Tomoe from Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Andrew_C said:
I'm not saying that. But purely due to this man's career choice people outside the community WILL see him as a representative of geek/nerd/whatever culture. To use your analogy, when politicians make retarded comments about rape we tend to think the Republican party as a whole has it's shit fucked up, not just the Republican party in the districts they represent.
That is a poor comparison. People in political parties are representatives of their group. What they say reflects upon that group. The geek "community" is not in any shape or form an organisation or a collective. It does not have a leadership, it does not have any official entry requirement and it does not have representatives.

If a person in a political party brought bad press down upon it, they'd probably be kicked out. That isn't even possible in the geek community, because this guy just made a career choice to sell things that geeks like, he does not represent geeks in an official (as it is not possible) or unofficial manner. He is nothing more than a individual with an opinion.

He cannot claim to speak for geeks, he cannot claim to represent them. A politician can do both.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Holy shit... it all makes so much sense now! So if you guys see a pretty girl at a convention who is cosplaying in a costume that actually does the character justice, make sure you take her down before she takes you down. I'm sure they're going to destroy our entire elitist culture.

And we worked so hard to build it, too!

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
Ben Reilly.

What? Captain Pancake was warned for saying that?! Shit! I've got to go underground now. Bye Escapist, it's been fun.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
The Thinker said:
Ben Reilly.

What? Captain Pancake was warned for saying that?! Shit! I've got to go underground now. Bye Escapist, it's been fun.
It miiiiight have been because of the fact that it was a two word post =p

Also, I don't know that. If I had a vagina and cosplayed I would have to shoot the guard as well.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Smilomaniac said:
So please tell us your awesome plan as to how you are going to stop these heinous crimes and tell 'legitimate' cosplayers from fake ones.

Because there isn't really any way to tell without being completely obnoxious.

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
Naeras said:
The Thinker said:
Ben Reilly.

Also, I don't know that. If I had a vagina and cosplayed I would have to shoot the guard as well.
Pssh. You probably think the moon landing wasn't faked by Martians living in Atlantis, either. Trust me, the Escapist just doesn't want sensitive information like that getting out there.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Smilomaniac said:
So please tell us your awesome plan as to how you are going to stop these heinous crimes and tell 'legitimate' cosplayers from fake ones.

That's hardly what I'd call obnoxious.
SCIENCE!

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I don't get this whole thing.
Since when is "Gamer" a group that can be infiltrated? Has anyone ever tried to infiltrate vegetarians by pretending to not like meat?

And hey, maybe there are people who like to pretend to like something. Why should I care?

treborl2627

Mar 6, 2012
So I only have one thing to ask about this strip, Why are they asking a question about an American comic book at an anime con? That's all I want to know, please tell me.

CaptainChip

Jul 8, 2012
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Smilomaniac said:

Start a nice conversation about whatever they are cosplaying from?

Doesn't seem that hard. "Hey, nice x cosplay, you a fan of the show?" Then it would go "oh yeah, I love it!" and it goes on from there or "No, not really", which leads to a very awkward end of the conversation.

Or would just asking if they like something be insulting?

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
Darth_Payn said:
Do one of you guys know the origins to this whole "fake geek girl" thing? It just sounds like a big non-issue to me. As geeks, should we not preach the gospels of the things we like to the nonbelievers?
I always figured it was about Booth babes, and how incredibly misogynistic it is that corporations attempt pander to a falsely constructed 80s parody version of nerd culture, trying to gain our attention with a set of bewbs, because in their mind we are all a bunch of unsexed losers who will drop any and everything for a "nice rack". Which is offensive and insulting on so many levels. And as we have striven to change that image and become more inclusive, the corporations keep trying to peg us as an "old boys club," which is inevitably how society at large views us. Which is why we must endeavor in cultural reclamation, lest we always be seen as horny, misogynistic caricatures.

But Tony Harris's rant? I have no idea what the fuck that was about.

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
I can tell one is catwoman and the redhead is a fighting game character(probably street fighter) but who is the blond girl?

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
The Thinker said:
Naeras said:
The Thinker said:
Ben Reilly.

Pssh. You probably think the moon landing wasn't faked by Martians living in Atlantis, either. Trust me, the Escapist just doesn't want sensitive information like that getting out there.
Dude, what are you smoking? Martians in Atlantis? Please. The moon landing was obviously faked out by Illuminati in a sinister plot to spread mind control nanobots out into the atmosphere.