Fallout 1+2: Free?

Resistance205

Jun 3, 2008
Hey everybody, I was just wondering, are the original Fallout games free to download?

If so, I also have Steam running, and for those who don't know, Steam has a program to find out if you have downloaded games illegaly. So would downloading Fallout mess with my Steam account?

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Go to GOG.com, you can get both for $6 each, no DRM.

Or you can get them illegally and get a glitchy, unfinished, and probably virus filled file.

Edit: Oh for fucks sake I don't give a shit if you got perfect files when you pirate. From my experience all the games I've gotten are glitchy. And stop saying I'm bad at pirating, as pirating isn't a skill in any sense of the word.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
You can also get Tactics + the Fallout Bible with 1&2 for less than $15 according to the email I got today.

incrediblegeek

Feb 17, 2009
Definitely get them from GOG; not only do you get excellent games with no DRM for cheap, you also support and encourage this sort of business practice.

Resistance205

Jun 3, 2008
TheTygerfire said:

Or you can get them illegally and get a glitchy, unfinished, and probably virus filled file.
Wow, I'm just looking at the site now, and it seems great. Only one thing though, is it American only? Or can people in the EU get the games aswell?

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
TheTygerfire said:

Um, that's totally unrealistic. Hell, most non-legit games run faster/better than the legit stuff. Not that it'll be an issue with games this old, but still...

Also, I would personally trust Steam more than GOG. Sure, GOG has a zero-DRM policy, but if I were to bet moeny on which company would still be operating in 10, 20, hell even 50 years from now, it would be Steam.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Actually, I think GoG themselves did offer one of the Fallouts free for a while, think around the time Fallout 3 came out as a promotion. But, you can get a collection of Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics dirt cheap anyway...

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Resistance205 said:
TheTygerfire said:

Wow, I'm just looking at the site now, and it seems great. Only one thing though, is it American only? Or can people in the EU get the games aswell?
Not sure, you can find out probably.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
iggyus said:
You can also try PirateBay
OK, I know people get away with admiting that they are pirates, but reccomending piracy? Even the Escapist mods have their limits.

Resistance205 said:
TheTygerfire said:

Look at the adress bar: "http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/"

I'd say it's Euro-friendly.

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
Nimbus said:
TheTygerfire said:

Um, that's totally unrealistic. Hell, most non-legit games run faster/better than the legit stuff. Not that it'll be an issue with games this old, but still...

Also, I would personally trust Steam more than GOG. Sure, GOG has a zero-DRM policy, but if I were to bet moeny on which company would still be operating in 10, 20, hell even 50 years from now, it would be Steam.
Except it doesn't matter if GOG is still around, since the games you buy have no DRM, you could make as many backup cds as you want. I think I have about 7 copies of Fallout 2 distributed between various computers, USB drives, and disks.

Resistance205

Jun 3, 2008
TheTygerfire said:
Resistance205 said:
TheTygerfire said:

Not sure, you can find out probably.
Yeah, thanks mate. I'l check it out now, I owe you one

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
TheTygerfire said:
You can also get Tactics + the Fallout Bible with 1&2 for less than $15 according to the email I got today.
Sweet, I'll Buy em tommorow.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Liverandbacon said:
Nimbus said:
TheTygerfire said:

Except it doesn't matter if GOG is still around, since the games you buy have no DRM, you could make as many backup cds as you want. I think I have about 7 copies of Fallout 2 distributed between various computers, USB drives, and disks.
I really doubt anyone who buys from the site is going to make hard-copy backups just in case the company goes bust.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
TheTygerfire said:

dought it... why do people always assume a pirated copy have something wrong with them???

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Resistance205 said:
Hey everybody, I was just wondering, are the original Fallout games free to download?

If so, I also have Steam running, and for those who don't know, Steam has a program to find out if you have downloaded games illegaly. So would downloading Fallout mess with my Steam account?
my friend pirates games all the time and uses steam.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Just to chip in, I'm in England and I use GOG for some of my games. Great guys and some fantastic games too. Plus, they make the effort to update the games to work with Vista and whatnot, so you got one less technical headache than getting a dodgy version from Pirate Bay.

Oh, and while your there, pick up Cannon Fodder. Old game but more fun than so much of the new crap you get nowadays.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
seydaman said:
TheTygerfire said:

dought it... why do people always assume a pirated copy have something wrong with them???
Probably because in the 5 years I worked at geek squad 9 out 10 computers that came in with virus or problems with programs. They have limewire or bittorent or some other torrent /p2p system installed and when you ask them for a cd to reinstall the software or whatnot they usually say oh I just downloaded it I don't have a cd or anything.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
TheTygerfire said:

I have demonoid.

I never have that problem with downloading =D

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I haven't checked (I have real copies of all the Fallout games including Tactics) but they are older games and the company that makes them no longer exists, and the current liscence holder hasn't seemed like it has any desire to put them back into production/circulation from what I've seen.

They MIGHT fall under Abandonware, check a few abandonware sites, at which point you can DL them fairly safely.