Fallout 3 not a 'proper' Fallout game?

Hotshots

Dec 8, 2009
First and foremost, I love Fallout 3. I fucking adore the thing like it was my own. I love the whole series in such a way. I was recently re-playing the whole series (including tactics) as a remedy for the summer draught. Now, since I haven't played most of the games since maybe 2005, I played a bit of each to see if they're all working. When it got to testing F3, the game felt remarkably different from the previous ones (not because of game play or new perspective I should mention). It felt very dark and, well, not very like a fallout game(?). Then I tested New Vegas and straight away it felt like the black isle games. More humor and it felt familiar.

F2(short of being my favorite game of all time) and New Vegas feel extremely similar, which probably explains my fondness of the latter.

Has anyone else felt this way? That Fallou 3 felt 'different'?

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Fallout 3 was a great game on it's own, but the writing was bad. The dialogue was atrocious, the story was rubbish, and it just felt completely out of the rest of the Fallout universe.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
It did feel different, because it was trying so maaaany new things that all the other ones have not, it's an open world game. So they have to pad it out with more content than the universe would probably cater for. So they'd have to make massive logs of back story and lore.

I personally think Fallout 3 did an excellent job, it fits near perfect into the universe, with a few loopholes and stuff, but what can you expect? I think Fallout 3 is the center stone for fallout.

I would of liked to see more of the fallout humour in it though, the dark humour was replaced by just... darkness. Dark humour needs to come back to the fallout series, as I don't think they pinned it down in New Vegas either.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Fallout 3 was made by Bethesda; Fallout: New Vegas was made by Obsidian, which was founded by the same people who made Fallout 2. That could explain why Fallout 3 didn't feel as much like the old games as New Vegas did.

Edit: That said, I haven't played anything in the series yet. I have a copy of Fallout Trilogy, but after a year, I still haven't had the time and inclination to dig into it. Maybe after I finish KoTOR, which I've had for even longer...

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Fallout 3's story and writing were terrible and really just didn't fit in with the previous games in the series. I still thought the game was great and it's one of my favorites, but some things about it really just didn't feel like a Fallout game. It wasn't funny either, it was just way too grimdark for my tastes. New Vegas was more like the old games, with factions that were more in line with the previous games in the series.

ogrebushi

Jun 7, 2010
Only thing i wish is that the wild wasteland trait was just an option that started on, since its what i traditionally think of as "fallout"

Hotshots

Dec 8, 2009
Ryans Solution said:
Yes... well fallout 3 was good, it was missing the humour.
Necromancer Jim said:
Fallout 3 was a great game on it's own, but the writing was bad. The dialogue was atrocious, the story was rubbish, and it just felt completely out of the rest of the Fallout universe.
You guys are perfectly right. Gameplay wise, fallout 3 was great, but the writing completely threw me.

AmbitiousWorm

I'm going to leave this blank.
Dec 2, 2010
Yes Fallout 3 felt different. I thought it was the loss of some of the silliness as apposed to humour. I do, however, remember laughing while playing it. Can't remember what now that I think about it.....but maybe that's because I spent too much time playing it. It was a darker game than Fallout 1 or 2 and it almost seemed to take itself too serious.

New Vegas seems to be torn between F3 serious darkness and F1 and 2's silliness and I'm not sure it they fit together all that well. It still is such a rad game though. Maybe because after 35hrs, and just getting it a couple weeks ago, I haven't had time to hit may major glitches (DAMN YOU STUCK IN THAT ROCK!).

Hotshots

Dec 8, 2009
AlternatePFG said:
Fallout 3's story and writing were terrible and really just didn't fit in with the previous games in the series. I still thought the game was great and it's one of my favorites, but some things about it really just didn't feel like a Fallout game. It wasn't funny either, it was just way too grimdark for my tastes. New Vegas was more like the old games, with factions that were more in line with the previous games in the series.
I agree completly, humor was a big thing in the earlier games. That and Fallout 3 lacked much in the way of doing a quest. It was either kill everybody or pass a skill check. I remember saving Vic from slavers in F2, must have played that mission 3-4 times just to do things differently.

Hotshots

Dec 8, 2009
ogrebushi said:
Only thing i wish is that the wild wasteland trait was just an option that started on, since its what i traditionally think of as "fallout"
Too right. I chose that trait every time I played New Vegas. Finding Indy in the fridge made me quite literally Lol

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
Yeah Fallout3 had much less humor and was darker than previous Fallouts, and Fallout New Vegas too...

Though i wouldn't go as far as saying "not a proper Fallout" they did their homework on most of the stuff, and reviving an old IP (successfully) is pretty hard.

Archany

Jun 16, 2010
You just had to work harder to find the humor in Fallout 3, it had it's moments where it was fucking hilarious, like the little mayor kid in Lamplight saying "fuck" every other word, but those moments were few and far in between. Regardless, I didn't love the writing, I actually really enjoyed the story but it seems I'm the odd one out here, and of course gameplay, while buggy as shit, was still very good.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Ryans Solution said:
Only thing I have to say to you is "A vault filled with Gary clones".

Funny is in the eye of the beholder.

OT: Naturally, it's 'different' in some way. It's the other end of the United States and the first time Fallout's in 3D. But arguments against the game being proper are ultimately pointless. This isn't "No Mutants Allowed", so we're not closed-minded pains in the ass.

Hotshots

Dec 8, 2009
CD-R said:
If you want to see what an improper Fallout game looks like.

AHHHH! NO! KILL IT! FUCK!

FalloutJack said:
Ryans Solution said:
Only thing I have to say to you is "A vault filled with Gary clones".

Funny is in the eye of the beholder.

OT: Naturally, it's 'different' in some way. It's the other end of the United States and the first time Fallout's in 3D. But arguments against the game being proper are ultimately pointless. This isn't "No Mutants Allowed", so we're not closed-minded pains in the ass.
I may have misspoke by saying proper. I'm quite simply an idiot and couldn't think of a better word haha. Don't get wrong fallout 3 was a great game but i felt it didn't live up to the standard I was hoping for. It was the first game in the main series to come right after F2 after all.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Hotshots said:
-Sealed inna vault-
I see. Well, I always felt that Fallout 3 was a bold step forwards. The transition to another D is always hard.

Hotshots

Dec 8, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Hotshots said:
-Sealed inna vault-
I see. Well, I always felt that Fallout 3 was a bold step forwards. The transition to another D is always hard.
Indeed mate, and Bethesda did a terrific job of it. Writing, however, seemed a bit to much of a struggle. Their Fantasy writing is spot on; sci-fi... Not so much

"-Sealed inna vault-" I like it good sir!

the spud

May 2, 2011
I fucking loved fallout 3. It is my favorite of the series, and probably in my top 10 of all time. It wasn't perfect, but it did something that almost no other game I have ever played has done as well (except maybeee a few of the zelda games) and that is provide a sense of exploration and achievement.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Fallout 3 is the same thing as Tactics to me. It is a good Fallout Game, but it doesnt deserve to be a direct relative of 1 and 2. Or in short, it did not deserve its Number.

Its a good Game, and a well done Fallout as well, but its so different from the originals in pretty much everything that i do not consider it as being entirely Canon. New Vegas for me is the proper "Fallout 3" since it was much closer, even if not entirely there, with the old classics ;P