Fallout 3 Riddle me this

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
mad825 said:
Nitpicker of the Wastes said:
mad825 said:
so what? you want a whole storyline how music developed!?!? go read a book if you want that.
:|

I just said that the 30's, 40's, and 50's music are rather important to the game because Inon Zur and the ambient soundtrack haven't changed a bit since Fallout Tactics, and are really bland.
go ask the story writers to set it in a different theme unless of course you think that black metal or even R&B fits very well in a 50s environment.
it's fine to say "it's bland" then you are also saying the 50s environment also is bland.

It's rather ironic, whenever I make an augment that the Starwars tech is getting bland, like yours. other people think otherwise.
I've never been a huge fan of 50s music, though some of it is okay.

My major issue with the soundtrack is that while I can understand music left over from the war would be 50s-esque, I fail to see why nobody would be performing any other music. Given that there is a decent amount of remaining technology, as well as people making new stuff, I'd expect some of it to be recorded and played on what radio stations are out there. I can see "Three Dogs" and the way he did things being a matter of taste, and I understand why "President Eden" had what he did on his channel, but come New Vegas it does surprise me a bit that everything would be vintage music... though I admit cost is probably a factor since a lot of it is probably public domain or easy to liscence, and doing music of other styles "right" for the game would involve having to hire people to write and perform it.

I've always found it kind of jarring to see a world where you have tons of raiders and mercenaries and such running around dressed like a combination of 80s punks and S&M leather fetishists, a style that came from later cultures and was inspired by later music, yet still pretty much everything you *hear* is 50s-ish.

Truthfully I'd find it highly entertaining if they decided at some point to do something inspired by "the musical revolution" with fans of "wholesome" 50s-style music freaking out over rock music, especially harder stuff, and how it's corrupting the youth and so on. Albiet being "Fallout" such a conflict would be just as active with guns and bombs than with social posturing and moral arguements. Imagine a scenario loosely based on "Footloose" (which was admittedly more about dance than music) with a psycho priest trying to abolish the corrupted kids who listen to that "new wave devil music" along with his flamethrower wielding co-horts, with the kids, lead by his daughter fighting for their own rights as a resistance in the hills, wanting to kill him and destroy his church. Who do you side with, or do you negotiate some "feel good" peace? :)

Not the focus for a game but it could be amusing if they ever did want to include more updated music... something to put in a little town, or as a side quest or whatever. :)

Duskwaith

Sep 20, 2008
I loved the '50's music in the game. They were a perfect juxtaposition to the environment.

Like Bob Crosbys- Way back home etc.

Mar 9, 2010
Did you do Agatha's quest? They had a whole vault of geniuses and musical instrument but it's all ruined. There's no one there and all other things were destroyed by bombs. People in the 2070s are too busy surviving to play instruments.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Kiefer13 said:
I'm pretty sure it's mentioned at some point that the songs that are played on GNR are the only songs that are played because the rest of the music collection was damaged and unusable.
That's what I was thinking: only vinyl survived.
Also, it's an alternate reality of America. Maybe it displays what would've happened if our country's cultural progression was stunted by nationalism.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Does it really matter? Because of the fifties theme for Fallout, they used fifties music. Maybe the people felt there was no need to develope new music, since they all like the stuff played than, IDK.

*Edit*

Jonci said:
The Fallout universe was created on the idea of what did people in the 50s see the future of the world as becoming if the worst happened. A state of paranoia and nuclear technology, where captialism ran out of control and the big war happened.

People rarely are capable of figuring out what the future will hold for culture and technology. So, given the premise of what would be known in that era, Fallout is the nuclear apocolypic view of someone from the 50's-60's era. Computers were big and bulky with green screens and no one thought computers would get smaller. Nuclear technology was the way of the future and everything would one day use it. People thought records and tapes would be used forever. And the music of the time is the best ever and would last the ages.

The rest is just fiction based on that. That's why the world seems locked in the 50s style, because if you were in the 50s and thought about the future, you'd probably just see some flying cars that looked a lot like what you were driving now.
I like this answer, it explains the reasoning perfectly.

leeloodallasmultipass

THE Fifth Element
Mar 23, 2009
NewYork_Comedian said:
So American culture is locked in the 50's idea of Jazz and the American Dream, i get that. BUT did they just decide that after the music of the 30's-50's that they didn't need to make anymore? Did NO ONE want to make anymore of it? Were the people of the 2070's fine with listening to music from over one hundred years ago over and over again?
after reading the reply's ill offer a slightly different view point. the 30-50's music was on Vinyl records... more modern music was on Tapes and or CD's... Tapes are magnetic materials, which are read by a magnetic reading device, the Electro-magnetic pulse's emitted from the nuclear blasts would have fried those tapes with modern music on them.

The same goes for hard drives on PC's, they are magnetic to an extent, its why they say avoid placing magnets near your PC/hard drives.

As for CD'/DVDs etc., research done on old CD's has found there is a Bacteria which actually feeds on the material present in the disks, this is why allot of older generation disks have begun to decay and lost their quality and in bad cases readability.

so based on this idea you could suggest that modern methods of storing music would have been destroyed by the blasts pulses/ over 150 years of decay.

its just a more plausible idea =D

of course I know its a Game and therefore isn't really relevant, but I was just giving the OP a few suggestions to why in theory the music is old school

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Well if we're speaking of inner logic, Three Dog could have had people come over to the studio to play their musics, even if it's just people singing and using tin cans as drums. In the other hands in terms of budget, I guess it doesn't make monetary sense to record their own music, or to offer a more varied selection. I liked GNR for a while, but after I pretty much knew every song I got bored and kept it off at all times.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Because the game was origionally made in the 90s to they decided to try to make it nostalgic for no reason and left massive plot holes in its' wake. No game is perfect. (Except Diablo II)

Mezzo.

Nov 19, 2009
You try to find some working instruments to play with in a world weary, post-apocalyptic nightmare.

Wylade

Jul 3, 2010
I like to think that in this alternate world, after world war two, they started listening to death metal and the like. then, they went backwards untill they got to jazz (Elvis was by our standards today really a jazz musician). Also, you can't put popular music in the background of this game. try walking around the waste with Justin Beiber playing.

oh, and jazz is completely inoffensive. some people say rock and roll is the devils work and not everybody is the same religion so Hymes are a no-go. this really only leaves jazz.

the wako kid

Mar 31, 2010
mad825 said:
go ask the story writers to set it in a different theme unless of course you think that black metal or even R&B fits very well in a 50s environment.
it's fine to say "it's bland" then you are also saying the 50s environment also is bland.

It's rather ironic, whenever I make an augment that the Starwars tech is getting bland like yours. other people think otherwise.
Grrr... I'm saying that the ambient music is bland and tasteless.

...Bland like mine what?
do you mean all three songs of the ambient music? i kno them word for word.i could listen to enclave radio i guess but i could also shoot myself in the face. the fact is,i have the radio turned off most of the time anyway,and if they used music from the fifties they could have tried for elvis at least.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Ava Elzbieta said:
meganmeave said:
Silly, of course they did.

Not only did they make new music, but they re-invented a rocket capable of launching into the stratosphere. Once they accomplished that, they shot wireless speakers up all over the country. In case you were wondering, they also had to cobble together materials to create all these speakers. I believe the schematics called for Nuka Cola Quantum, 4 irons, 6 vacuum cleaners and a microfusion cell.

Once they did this, they then worked on re-building orchestras. It took some time, as they had to work with the scraps they had in the wastes. But then, oh the magnificence of it all!

They began composing some of the most brooding music ever heard, and piped it over the airwaves. If you listen closely while you travel the wastes, you can hear its haunting melody.

*applause*
You are the winner, good sir. My hat goes off to you.
UNfortunatly sir, thats the ambient music , and by seeing the rage going on here, a lot of people thought it sucked.

May 28, 2009
Kiefer13 said:
I'm pretty sure it's mentioned at some point that the songs that are played on GNR are the only songs that are played because the rest of the music collection was damaged and unusable.
that was infact the reason, New Vegas actually will have different types of music

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
BlindTom said:
You sound like you are implying that Interplay are behind fallout 3's writing. Fallout 3 is responsible for the misonception that the apocalypse happened in the fifties.
It is? I guess it's also responsible for the misconception that there weren't two other Fallout games that occured in the same universe.

Fallout 1 should be responsible for the 'misconception', not Fallout 3. What with the "BUY WAR BONDS" on the TV intro while Maybe is playing in the background and all. :mad:
You're both lacking in reading comprehension and visibly upset!

Wedlock49

May 5, 2010
NewYork_Comedian said:
Yes but before the war, no new music?
If you listen 3 Dog mentions not knowing what a disk is. Nukes send out an EMP when they go off, wiping most media. The only thing that survived the nukes music-wise were LP's. Leaving you with only 1950's era music.

Jul 19, 2009
BlindTom said:
You're both lacking in reading comprehension and visibly upset!
*snip*
How am I lacking in reading comprehension? People have been getting confused about the time frame since before Interplay lost the franchise.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Wedlock49 said:
NewYork_Comedian said:
If you listen 3 Dog mentions not knowing what a disk is. Nukes send out an EMP when they go off, wiping most media. The only thing that survived the nukes music-wise were LP's. Leaving you with only 1950's era music.
Hmmm, how convenient can you get?

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
I more think of it as the advance of technology was offset with the progression of culture and style. Like they had WW2 Technology during the civil war, and so on.

expwnit

Mar 22, 2010
Wedlock49 said:
NewYork_Comedian said:
I believe this is your answer, OP.