Fallout 4 critic vs audience reviews for pc port.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
sumanoskae said:
The level gating is probably here to prevent players from getting to 100 in their guns skill before they hit level 20 and turning combat into an utter formality. I haven't personally gotten to level 34, so I can't speak on whether or not the combat becomes trivial, but by that logic, combat would have only become trivial faster in the previous games.
In both FO3 and New Vegas, the combat was trivial from the very start, even on the highest difficulty. I can't remember the last time I felt threatened by anything other than a Deathclaw in either of those games. But oh boy the threat gets really real when a 'claw shows up.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
DoPo said:
sumanoskae said:
DoPo said:
As I said, I don't exactly understand where your confusion lies.
I don't understand what your argument is; you essentially responded to my complaint by complaining about the exact same thing. I argued that having both Gun perks and Gun skills was a redundant feature, and then you responded by saying... basically the same thing. So what's your point?
Aht the question, as you presented it, showed a badly designed system. This raises the question
... Yes? What question does this raise?

Were you simultaneously addressing me along side the other user with that wall of quotes?

If I understand your question correctly, the answer is that everything that the skill system used to do is now accomplished by the Perk system. So the rules aren't actually significantly different, they just LOOK like they are.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Benpasko said:
sumanoskae said:
The level gating is probably here to prevent players from getting to 100 in their guns skill before they hit level 20 and turning combat into an utter formality. I haven't personally gotten to level 34, so I can't speak on whether or not the combat becomes trivial, but by that logic, combat would have only become trivial faster in the previous games.
In both FO3 and New Vegas, the combat was trivial from the very start, even on the highest difficulty. I can't remember the last time I felt threatened by anything other than a Deathclaw in either of those games. But oh boy the threat gets really real when a 'claw shows up.
In that case, Fallout 4 is a great improvement. Combat is far more demanding than it was in previous games. Don't even try to stand up to a Deathclaw without your Power Armor.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
DoPo said:
LetalisK said:
The idea that two different games in the same series using two different rulesets is bad design.
Am I missing something? When have I ever addressed/claimed/refuted/whatever this idea?

LetalisK said:
That would make D&D an abomination unto the Lord.
That's putting it more extreme than I would, but either way, I'm fairly sure its design doesn't really need extra help to be bad - it already is. Talking hera bout 3.X and 4e, as those I'm most familiar with.
o_O

Alright, I can't follow this conversation. You guys have fun, peace out.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
sumanoskae said:
DoPo said:
sumanoskae said:
DoPo said:
As I said, I don't exactly understand where your confusion lies.
I don't understand what your argument is; you essentially responded to my complaint by complaining about the exact same thing. I argued that having both Gun perks and Gun skills was a redundant feature, and then you responded by saying... basically the same thing. So what's your point?
Aht the question, as you presented it, showed a badly designed system. This raises the question
... Yes? What question does this raise?
Erm, it the part you just cut out from the quote... Again:

DoPo said:
Have perks and skills done exactly the same? Is this an actual problem that actually needed addressing?
sumanoskae said:
Were you simultaneously addressing me along side the other user with that wall of quotes?
"Simultaneously" - it was in the same post, yes. It was, however, in exact orderly fashion, in chronological order,

sumanoskae said:
If I understand your question correctly, the answer is that everything that the skill system used to do is now accomplished by the Perk system. So the rules aren't actually significantly different, they just LOOK like they are.
I'm not entirely sure what this answers.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
LetalisK said:
Alright, I can't follow this conversation.
I sort of suspected that - none of what you wrote made any much sense relating about what I wrote. It seems it wasn't just me, it was nonesense.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
90, 95 and 100 as scores are clearly not deserved for a Bethesda game based on the Gamebryo or Creation engine because we clearly know the kinds of issues they are known for.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Glaice said:
90, 95 and 100 as scores are clearly not deserved for a Bethesda game based on the Gamebryo or Creation engine because we clearly know the kinds of issues they are known for.
Why? Aren't people entitled to their own opinions of a game?

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Something Amyss said:
Glaice said:
Why? Aren't people entitled to their own opinions of a game?
They are. As long as their opinions coincide with mine. If they don't, they are wrong.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
sumanoskae said:
Don't even try to stand up to a Deathclaw without your Power Armor.
That's actually a point of annoyance for me. Power Armor, historically, hasn't helped against deathclaws at all. Their claws are supposed to totally ignore armor, and open that suit like a can. The only Deathclaw strategy I trust is "jump on top of a rock where they can't reach you".

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Benpasko said:
sumanoskae said:
Don't even try to stand up to a Deathclaw without your Power Armor.
That's actually a point of annoyance for me. Power Armor, historically, hasn't helped against deathclaws at all. Their claws are supposed to totally ignore armor, and open that suit like a can. The only Deathclaw strategy I trust is "jump on top of a rock where they can't reach you".
I always relied on taking their legs out at a distance strategy .3. That or take a bunch of turbo and rush in to annihilate them

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DoPo said:
They are. As long as their opinions coincide with mine. If they don't, they are wrong.
And objectively so! Just like Mad Max not deserving a 5/10, because that opinion was objectively wrong!

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Ragsnstitches said:
I really don't get the hate for this game... I've been having a blast. The perils of the hype train I guess.
I'm sorry if I'm echoing what's already said on this thread, but, from what I heard, there were some rather disappointing aspects about it. Apparently, the dialogue system is very simplified, that it's apparently buggy as crap even by Bethesda standards, and some other things that I heard are apparently the case. All that said, this is all secondhand info, I haven't played it myself.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Ragsnstitches said:
I really don't get the hate for this game... I've been having a blast. The perils of the hype train I guess.
Just like it is with most other things, it's cool to go 'against the mainstream' and hate on popular things. The bigger they are, the cooler you are for being a cynical blowbag regarding it. That's why Fallout 4 is pretty much the worst game ever made. They've seen the leaks so they're pretty much experts and are super cool because they're internet hipsters.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
ravenshrike said:
Ambient_Malice said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Silentpony said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Some of us were shouting loudly and proudly not to listen to hype. "Remember New Vegas and your disappointment!" we said.
We were called pessimistic and that we just don't like video games.
Well at least we knew this train crash was coming, eh?
Disappointment? The hell are you talking about? New Vegas was awesome.
New Vegas was astonishingly buggy on release, and remains far buggier than any modern Bethesda game. Whether New Vegas is a great game is a whole other matter, though.
11 month dev time, shortened from 18 months 8 months into the project. Bethesda was responsible for QA. They did not perform any QA on the product, instead releasing it immediately. Obsidian was contracted for a rather large bonus if it made an 80 on metacritic. Oddly enough, every time it stared to pass that number, enough negative reviews came out to keep it from doing so. It's score by the end of the agreed upon time period was 79.
Wait... conditioning bonuses to Metacritic scores? Well, I no longer wonder why we can't have nice things...

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Denamic said:
They've seen the leaks so they're pretty much experts and are super cool because they're internet hipsters.
You do know the game is out? People have played it, even a lot of it! I'd say, based on my experience so far, it's the worst modern Fallout game. It's definitely solid, but I'm not in love like I was at FO3 and NV's launches. The biggest problem, for me, is the dialogue system. I really strongly dislike the main character, and I can't just apply my own characterization like in a non-voiced game.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
CaitSeith said:
Wait... conditioning bonuses to Metacritic scores? Well, I no longer wonder why we can't have nice things...
To my knowledge, it only happened the one time that we're aware of.

We also shouldn't pretend an Obsidian product wouldn't have been buggy regardless of how long they had to develop it or who was providing QC. Their track record in that department is consistent regardless of who their producer is.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
You want to see Bethesda and Warner burn because of this?

Really, this only reinforces how I want to see gamers on the internet burn. Possibly with actual fire.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
Gethsemani said:
Is anyone even surprised that No Mutants Allowed and similar places decided to metabomb Fallout 4?
Without any research I knew it was these people. They were the same people who fractured the community after F:NV was released and irrationally attacked anyone who so much as said they liked the colour of a gun in Fallout 3.

They're irrational, toxic and hateful people. The reason that devs don't listen to fans any more.

Fu11Frontal

Apr 17, 2013
Honestly, my biggest complaint about this game is the soundtrack. Now, I love hackin' and whackin' and smackin'. I do. But I've been hackin' and whackin' in smackin' for 200+ hours ever since Fallout 3 came out. Now, I understand that there's only so much innuendo-laden, safe pop music from the swing era...so why must we be slaves to it?

Examining the other tracks on the playlist for Diamond City Radio, the new tracks lay on the atomic age paranoia theme. Now, thematically I understand why I'm not going to get Kyuss or The Velvet Underground or something. And, it's not as though these tracks don't deserve to be in the game, but what I confess I was really hoping for were more radio stations with distinctive sounds. Fallout 4 uses the radio as a means of conveying exposition for quests in vicinity of the player, and additionally has some factional radios that play instrumental tunes. The most prominent of these alternative stations is the classical radio managed by...someone. I listened to this station for about an hour and soon grew weary of listening to a continually rising string section as I stalked through the wilderness with nothing but my nightclothes and a rusty machete.

I admit, this is probably a case of me having an overly specific taste in music. I wouldn't expect them to make something to match everyone's tastes, after all, the flavor behind the music in the game is that it's what survived the war (how did Travis get all those ink spots songs though? Are there a lot of copies of these or did 3Dog mail them to him?), but come on, odds are more unique music would have survived than just stuff with a specific subset of a genre. I'm sure as the game opens up to modders we'll eventually get a radio station capable of playing tunes from our hard drives, but it would have been nice to hear something else. Elvis? Chuck Berry? The Beatles?

God they would have to pay so much for that, nvm I understand now.