Fallout 4 Eliminates Skills From Character System

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
EternallyBored said:
The war didn't happen until the 2070's, the 1950's stuff is just an aesthetic thing, the game is sort of based on what people in the 1950's thought technology would be like, so the 1950's ended but the U.S. never really culturally changed from that era in the Fallout universe.

The laser satellites, like the Poseidon Energy weapon in New Vegas and the one in the 4 trailer are not new technology, they are pre-war tech that gets rediscovered and utilized. There will be some new technology in 4 since it's based in the Boston area, and FO3 established that the androids from that area were new tech being built by the commonwealth, but pretty much all the other stuff: robots, plasma weapons, cyborgs, power armor, etc. is just repaired pre-war technology. You can see that in the FO4 trailer actually, which has a segment that takes place in the past during the war and you can see that they have vertibirds and power armor, as well as the Mr. Handy robot.
Thank you for clearing that up; guess it's been a while since I actually paid attention to the story behind the games. I'm still a bit confused, but it's just nitpicking. Maybe I'm just bored with the crowded, modernized, post-apocalypse.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
EternallyBored said:
Zulnam said:
Might be interesting. After four games, the skill system got way too old for me.

Also, how exactly are they explaining the fact that, even though the Nuclear War happened somewhere around 1950 and the year is 2200+, they somehow seemed to have managed to advance technologically with orbital beam lasers. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a decline of technology?

They forgot that a Nuclear Bomb is bad but orbital laser satellites? Pff, found that blueprint on a rock.
The war didn't happen until the 2070's, the 1950's stuff is just an aesthetic thing, the game is sort of based on what people in the 1950's thought technology would be like, so the 1950's ended but the U.S. never really culturally changed from that era in the Fallout universe.

The laser satellites, like the Poseidon Energy weapon in New Vegas and the one in the 4 trailer are not new technology, they are pre-war tech that gets rediscovered and utilized. There will be some new technology in 4 since it's based in the Boston area, and FO3 established that the androids from that area were new tech being built by the commonwealth, but pretty much all the other stuff: robots, plasma weapons, cyborgs, power armor, etc. is just repaired pre-war technology. You can see that in the FO4 trailer actually, which has a segment that takes place in the past during the war and you can see that they have vertibirds and power armor, as well as the Mr. Handy robot.
Sorry if this is a repeat question, haven't followed this thread very closely. Did they ever report where chronologically FO 4 takes place in comparison to FO 3 and NV?

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Auron225 said:
Oh, well that would give me some peace of mind - but at the same time, I didn't really like how you could get more SPECIAL points in Fallout 3. Does this mean you can get all SPECIAL skills to 10?

See, to me that kills the idea of SPECIAL. I thought it was designed to set up strengths and weaknesses of any character you build. "I'm weak as a kitten but damn clever", "I'm strong as an ox and no smarter than an ox", that kind of thing. To be stupendous at everything kind of takes away from that idea, and I know that you wouldn't be until you're already very far into the game and have levelled up a lot, but it still feels strange to just not have any flaws anymore with enough exp.
That's just life. There are some people who are just amazing at everything. We're strong, perceptive, durable, charismatic, and intelligent.
Sure, I'm not exactly agile or lucky, but who needs that?

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Caramel Frappe said:
Zen Bard said:
So Skyrim removed abilities and classes and added a perk system based on leveled skills. Fallout 4 will remove the skills system and retool the perks to be based on leveled abilities.

Hmmmm...

Could work. Or it could be a complete disaster.

As long as there are no repetitive fetch quests involving dungeon...er...vault...crawls and draugr...I mean...ghouls, I'll wait and give it a try.
Good news is even if the Fallout 4 perk system horribly fails, the modding community will fix everything for us.
Because that's what they did with Bethesda's Skyrim with the mod called Unofficial Skyrim Patch and the other patches for DLCs.
Sure. Unless you're a console weenie like me.

(Sigh) Maybe it's time to build a gaming PC and gave my wife our living room back.

Either way, if Fallout 4i is NOT a complete unmitigated mess, it will require a hardware investment from me.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
predictions combined with nuclear resource wars in 2070+.[/quote]
Shadowkire said:
Politrukk said:
Take away more variety from my rpg's why don't you.

it's not like Skyrim was a dumbed down version of Morrowind/Oblivion and that being one of the exact points of critique on that game.

I don't get it honestly, when are we going to get games that cater more to indepth choices/play again instead of this malarkey?
When the "indepth" players are numerous enough to support a AAA game by themselves.
It's Fallout 4 , that means it has 3 predecessors, that means it has built up a fanbase to sustain a fourth game, Fallout 3 was already triple A status and it was a hit.

This current successor is built on those who bought the previous game, people liked the depth and variety and wanted more, so why take out depth and variety instead.

MrCatchTwenty2

Aug 21, 2014
"But its not an RPG if its not over-complicated and stupid. How DARE they make games like Skyrim, with organic level up systems as opposed the broken calculus of TRUE RPGS! Don't they know that everyone HATED Skyrim!?!"

They fixed the shit shooting and got rid of something that was useless.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Strazdas said:
Smilomaniac said:
There's no two ways about it, it's about dumbing down the game for the mainstream.
The less choice you give people, the worse it is, it's that simple.
But its not less choice. Before you could choose out of what, 20 skills? now you can choose out of 77 perks. According to Bethesdas video, its not tiered. so no "necessary progression path" for most.
20 skills and 80 perks. Yeah, its less choice

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Happyninja42 said:
EternallyBored said:
Zulnam said:
Might be interesting. After four games, the skill system got way too old for me.

Also, how exactly are they explaining the fact that, even though the Nuclear War happened somewhere around 1950 and the year is 2200+, they somehow seemed to have managed to advance technologically with orbital beam lasers. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a decline of technology?

They forgot that a Nuclear Bomb is bad but orbital laser satellites? Pff, found that blueprint on a rock.

Sorry if this is a repeat question, haven't followed this thread very closely. Did they ever report where chronologically FO 4 takes place in comparison to FO 3 and NV?
The prologue starts right when the bombs fell, so technically the game starts in October of 2077. The bulk of the game however, takes place somewhere between 200-300 years after the war, so well after Fallout 1 (2161) and 2 (2241), and possibly at the same time as 3 (2277) or right around New Vegas (2281).

The only concrete information we have right now is from the trailer where the Mr. Handy robot Codsworth tells the main character that it's been over 200 years since the war, Fallout 3 takes place exactly 200 years after the war in 2277, so it's likely the game takes place a few years after that. So it's probably only a few years after 3 and either before or right after New Vegas. Anything more than that we'll have to wait to find out.

If I had to guess, I would say the game takes place sometime between 2277 and 2300.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
kenu12345 said:
Strazdas said:
Smilomaniac said:
There's no two ways about it, it's about dumbing down the game for the mainstream.
The less choice you give people, the worse it is, it's that simple.
But its not less choice. Before you could choose out of what, 20 skills? now you can choose out of 77 perks. According to Bethesdas video, its not tiered. so no "necessary progression path" for most.
20 skills and 80 perks. Yeah, its less choice
not if you account for different effects of perk levels. as in, from what it looks like now most of perk levels are not like skills but like perks that unlock after previuos perk is unlocked. for example if a perk has 3 levels thats 3 different effects you are going to have. so assuming bethesdas number is correct its more like 270 perks, just not all at the same time. Of course some are going to be progression skill like perks. we saw sneaking perk that is 5 levels of 20%.

We still got too little information to really judge variety here. ALso remmeber that if i heard things correctly there is another 100 unique perks from magazines hidden throughout the world.

Smilomaniac said:
Strazdas said:
I see what you mean, but you're forgetting that you can make very different characters based on those 20 skills (or however many there are). It's not a fair comparison at all mate.

With Fallout 3 they already dumbed it down, but this is going all the way.
I get why, it's for the large amount of console players who just want to jump in and enjoy the game for a while and that's fine, but I really hate this. It takes almost all the fun out of planning your character, which to be honest, kind of died with Fallout 3...
why do you think you cannot make a very different character based on what perks you choose in fallout 4?

I cant say i was a very keen player but i played both the old fallouts and the new ones and i liked both. they were different, but they were still fun to play for me.

I do get what you mean by removal of character planning now that you can easily (well, relatively, still takes 42 levels to max it) boost special where needed. but for me personally thats more of a relief because im the kind of player that wants to max everything and has nightmares when i cant (i dont cheat though, even though i could mod the stats up i prefer not to, more fun to play without it).

EternallyBored said:
The only concrete information we have right now is from the trailer where the Mr. Handy robot Codsworth tells the main character that it's been over 200 years since the war, Fallout 3 takes place exactly 200 years after the war in 2277, so it's likely the game takes place a few years after that. So it's probably only a few years after 3 and either before or right after New Vegas. Anything more than that we'll have to wait to find out.

If I had to guess, I would say the game takes place sometime between 2277 and 2300.
i wonder about the environments though. are the plantlife going to be regrowing now and if it takes so close to fallout 3 how its going to contrast with the grey landscape that one had.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
Did they ever report where chronologically FO 4 takes place in comparison to FO 3 and NV?
F4 takes place in the same year as F3. F4 takes place in the same state where the F3 expansion; Point Lookout is set.

OT; It does seem like that the new system is similar to Skyrims. Though despite the many options, I always played Skyrim the same; I largely ignored the magical talents (except Conjuration [2 Dremora is awesome]), I reckon there will be skills for F4 that revolve around companions (specifically, the dog [what is it with animal companions anyway?]) that I will largely ignore because the A.I is less than stellar.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Strazdas said:
EternallyBored said:

i wonder about the environments though. are the plantlife going to be regrowing now and if it takes so close to fallout 3 how its going to contrast with the grey landscape that one had.
If we go by Fallout 3, the people in Vault 101 believe the U.S. should be habitable again by 2377, so another 100 years after Fallout 3 and the radiation should be low enough to make the majority of the continent habitable, of course that could just be a throwaway line with no truth behind it.

The trailers for 4 also show some small plant regrowth so it looks like Bethesda is trying to increase the color palette by showing that stuff is coming back to some extent. The trees still look stripped bare, but some smaller grasses and shrubs in the trailer look like they are alive, there's even a living flower right outside the vault in the trailer. There is an area in the game where one of the bombs hit that's apparently still a blasted nuclear wasteland, but Bethesda seems to be taking some cues from the Point Lookout DLC and making it so that mutated plantlife is still around outside of the actual bomb sites.

Biran53

Apr 21, 2013
Eh. Fallout 3 practically kept the mechanics in name only. They were so inconsequential to the game itself. Now they're just being honest with what they removed years ago.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Fallout 5 will have no stats or items. Oh, it'll also be a side scrolling beat em up. ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH MUTANT TO RESCUE DICK RICHARDSON?

SquidSponge

Apr 29, 2013
Unfortunately, whenever I read/hear the word "streamline" with respect to a videogame sequels, I simply interpret it as "dumb down". I have yet to be proved wrong.

It isn't helped by the fact that Skyrim made me lose faith in Bethesda's ability to make a character building system - one of the more egregious examples being that some gibbering cretin decided Destruction spell damage didn't need to scale with skill level, and apparently not a single person in the entire company realised how moronic that is.

But here's hoping this time will be the exception eh?

And if it isn't, one can hopefully fall back on the modders to fix Bethesda's stupidity. Again.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
Well, another game that I'll be waiting for a year or more to consider buying. That considering I bought 1 and 2 as soon as they were on the shelves. Thanks you Bethesda, for making my entertainment decisions easy.