Fallout 4: Want, needs, and things that aren't needed

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Hello again fellow Escapist.
As you may not know I'm a huge fan of the Fallout series and admire the concept of a post apocalyptic atmosphere with a retro 50's feel to it. The history of pre-2077 and the bombs dropping during those 2 hours on that day. I have played both Fallout 3, New Vegas, and currently having a play-through of the first Fallout game, thank you gog.com, and Fallout 2 in the near future. Each games are different in each way but if you put the best feature from each game, what would they be?

We all know Fallout 4 is in development and coming out soon, and the question is, with Bethesda using the Creation Engine similar to Skyrim, what features would you like to see in this game as a new addition, what should be taken away if anything, and what should be improved or just not feature in Fallout 4?

Would love to hear your comments and views on the matter and any additional thoughts.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
I want Fallout 4 to be developed by Obsidian.
I NEED Bethesda to retcon their changes to the lore.
Another Elder Scrolls with guns (a la Fallout 3) is not needed.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I loved Fallout 3 so I just want more of what made that game great(the atmosphere, exploration etc.) I do hope they improve the gameplay b/c that was quite clunky and stiff(like the facial animations). Skyrim was a vast improvement over Oblivion in this regard though so the idea of a new Fallout game on this engine(even if Creation is just improved Gamebryo) gets me pretty excited. :) But yeah I don't really have any doubt either that Bethesda's next big title(after Evil Within) will be Fallout 4.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
ParsonOSX said:
what features would you like to see in this game as a new addition, what should be taken away if anything, and what should be improved or just not feature in Fallout 4?
-Scrap faction armor because it requires too many variables to work properly
-If they keep faction rep, use Skyrim's bounty removal system on it so I dont become hated when I kill three guys in the middle of the wasteland, and no one left alive to report me.
-Make the game play past the ending.
-Don't makes half the NPCs in towns just "MEGATON SETTLER"
-Remove half the stuff in New Vegas's crafting list because it was worthless, and instead focus more on Fallout 3 style craftable unique weapons.
-Use a DR armor system instead of a DT armor system.

Smeatza said:
I NEED Bethesda to retcon their changes to the lore.
They really didn't change the lore
-More radiation is explained by the east coast having more cities, thus getting bombed harder
-The BoS was a splinter group.
-The Enclave come from Navarro remnants, and they got all killed by the east coast BoS anyways.
-The Super Mutants exist because the pre-war government wasn't stupid enough to put all their maga-super-soldier research in one base, and the Vault 87 super mutants are dieing off to the point of near extinction by the time of Broken Steel.

stroopwafel said:
But yeah I don't really have any doubt either that Bethesda's next big title(after Evil Within) will be Fallout 4.
Bethesda isn't making Evil Within, just like they didn't make Rage, or Dishonored, or New Vegas, Tango Gameworks is.

There are two Bethesdas, Bethesda Game Studio, the makers of Fallout/Elder Scrolls, and Bethesda Softworks, a separate publishing company. Bethesda Softworks, the publishers, handle publishing of all games made by companies owned by Zenimax, which includes Bethesda Game Studios, Id Software, Arkane Studios, Zenimax Online, and Tango Gameworks.

Soundwave

Sep 2, 2012
I greatly preferred fallout 3 to New Vegas. Obsidian hasn't finished a game since it was called Black Isle. While I do appreciate their willingness to push boundaries, it always seems like they reach too far, and don't put in the QA to make the game end up balanced or at least not "bug infested". Granted Bethesda has had more than it's share of bugs, and can be a bit drier in the writing department.

What I would be most interested in, from a storytelling perspective, would be earlier in the established timeline,specifically from the time of the war, to sometime approximate to the events of fallout 1. From the perspective of a character who becomes a ghoul. I think seeing the world before and after the collapse would add an interesting element.

On a tangent, a game where you got to build your own vault and submit it to your own horrific social experiments in the vein of like, the Sims or Dwarf Fortress or Prison Architect would be fantastic.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I want a return to the quests that actually have some importance or effect on the world, drop the stupid faction armor thing, move away from the NCR and Caesar's Legion and onto new factions, and have the setting be The Commonwealth.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
SajuukKhar said:
stroopwafel said:
But yeah I don't really have any doubt either that Bethesda's next big title(after Evil Within) will be Fallout 4.
Bethesda isn't making Evil Within, just like they didn't make Rage, or Dishonored, or New Vegas, Tango Gameworks is.

There are two Bethesdas, Bethesda Game Studio, the makers of Fallout/Elder Scrolls, and Bethesda Softworks, a separate publishing company. Bethesda Softworks, the publishers, handle publishing of all games made by companies owned by Zenimax, which includes Bethesda Game Studios, Id Software, Arkane Studios, Zenimax Online, and Tango Gameworks.

Ofcourse I know Evil Within is developed by Tango Gameworks/Shinji Mikami with Bethesda as the publisher. But owned by Zenimax/Bethesda so still an in-house developer. Thankfully they let Mikami do his thing so they're cool.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
In a game where you shoot with guns, combat should feel like in a shooter, and not like... Oblivion. That was my biggest gripe with Fallout 3. Now that id software is part of their family, there's really no excuse anymore.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I want more random encounters [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_random_encounters] like in FO3.
I need, if there's going to be separate factions, like New Vegas, that they aren't all just go win over faction A, B and C. Make each faction's quests distinctly unique.
Cazadors simply aren't needed.

Moriim

Jul 12, 2010
Most importantly, better gunplay.
Make INT less OP (Seriously, INT needs a tremendous nerf)
Make CHA increase the number of followers you can have.
More speech options in general, FO:NV did a decent job of this.
Return of gambling. I probably spent at least 10 hours in NV just playing cards.
I'd like to see a mix of DR/DT items corresponding to armor types. Light/Medium armor should have DR, Heavy/Power armor should have DT.
More wasteland survival accessory items (masks, goggles, scarves, backpacks, etc.)
Starting your own settlement, I love these mods and having a polished and integrated version would be amazing.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I want the Hardcore system from New Vegas, but the oppressive atmosphere and urban desolation feel of Fallout 3. New Vegas just didn't feel like I was in an apocalyptic setting. It just felt like, well a desert, which looks pretty much the same no matter what. However a burnt out husk of Washington DC does resonate with a stronger feeling of loss and desolation by comparison.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I remember a faction quest chain in Morrowind where you practically oversee and manage the construction of your own castle. Something like that would be interesting.

You are being offered help from a larger faction (of your choice, depending on who you favour) to build a small, fortified settlement at a strategic location. Like in the ruins of a petrol station on a road or an old factory husk nearby valuable scrap resources, for instance.

You then find and hire the people you need to help you with that, like mercs to guard the site, a few workers and some secretary (or secretary bot, I've always had a weak spot for those lovely Mr. Handy robots). Then, you secure resource deliveries, and get a few settlers interested in moving in, as well as a few traders. Maybe that ambushed caravan crew with nowhere to go that sulks about in the bar would like to set up shop? That sort of thing.

Maybe some scavenging and visits to the scrap dealer for various bits and bob you will need. Like water filters and pumps. Perhaps pick up a few souvenires you can display in your office.
At the end of it, you'd have your own little town, with a good trader and plenty of food and water available.

It's certainly not impossible to implement, if Hearthfire is any indication. It'd be a long quest chain but with a clear reward, like good quest chains should.

EDIT: Playable ghouls. New Vegas especially has no excuse. Yes, your charisma will be rock bottom, and the wasteland wankers will be an even bigger pain, but rising above that will be all the sweeter. Not to mention, they've all got fascinating stories to share.

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
Lets actually have a nuclear winter, like the dehydration new vegas, i recon it would be kind of fun to have to balance keeping warm into the mix, think that recon suit suits your stealth build well your gonna be regretting leaving those polar yao guai furs at home. Actually lets expand on the whole survival thing in general, if it weren't for those in new vegas you wouldn't guess it was a post apocalyptic setting.

Also why change the lore, whats wrong with the Fallout 3, ok the story wasn't exactly Stella material but you know its a videogame, good story is the exception not the rule. I can't actually see whats wrong, splintering BoS was continued in New Vegas, Super mutants in east coast, given the Enclaves approach to the vault program, it seems reasonable that they may have run multiple experiments.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I liked Fallout 3 the most, but for the love of all things holy Betheseda, keep the New Vegas companion system! It ran circles around the crap we got in Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3. Maybe we could get a New Vegas 2 out of Obsidian or something, I liked them too, but for different reasons.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Want: More like Skyrim levelling and progression, Dual Wielding, Bigger world in a setting that was as interesting as Fallout: NV (seriously, the characterization of the environment was really immersive)

Need: Less bugs on release, keep it mod-friendly.

Things That Aren't Needed: Game-breaking Bugs on release

Honestly they can do whatever they want with Fallout 4(as long as it doesn't go back to isometric, because we already have Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun), just... make sure it works on release.

Reevesith

Aug 7, 2009
Want:be able to become a ghoul, or at lease bring back the zombie mask from 3.
Need: make shift bike or car that runs.
things that aren't needed: invisible walls on low hills.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I'd like a proper hardcore/survival mode. The one included with New Vegas was poorly thought out. Survival elements have been part of the post-apocalytpic milieu since...like...forever. I'm not sure why Fallout has never had a decent 'survival mode' in any of its offerings.