Fallout: New Vegas Dev: Recent RPG Advances "Undermine" the Genre

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Personally, I'm not entirely sure why you'd want Skyrim to be more complex. I've played for around 15 hours, and have yet to complete a full questline yet. There's easily as much on offer here as in Morrowind or Oblivion, and Bethesda managed to marry that with stronger game mechanics and better voice acting than either of those two games. Get the game playing correctly on the PS3, and this would easily be the best installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

In short, I guess, there's no need for a game like Skyrim to get more complex, unless you simply want to punish the player with needless stat crunching and number calculations.
You're being needlessly pedantic. You know what I mean.

If you don't here is short version. I want Skyrim quests to have different ways for solving them, they are almost always completely Linear. There are few quest, few, where you have actual options but those are few and far between.

For example, why can't you join those werewolf hunters.

And no I can't agree with you on Stronger game mechanics, certainly not when comparing to Morrowind.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Dirty Apple said:
I know I'm just gonna come off as old balls, but my feelings can best be summed up with an anecdote.

Around the time I was 20 years old, my family and I ended up at my uncle and aunt's house for Christmas. Their son would have been about 12 at the time, and he was telling me about the newest games he had been playing on his fancy new Gamecube. He showed me the newest Zelda offering (Majora's Mask I think) and mentioned that he had finished the game already. Apparently, he had finished it in about 5 days.

I was blown away. I knew adults that had taken months to get through the game. I was starting to think I was in the presence of a wunderkin. That's when I found out that his parents bought him a official hintbook with every new game. He would then literally open up the book on page one and follow it word for word.

What I'm trying to say is that there is a generation of gamers that aren't interested in a challenge while they play only winning. They aren't looking to push themselves or fight through repeated failures. Because, to fail would mean that they aren't perfect and special like they'd been told.
I am thankful that my nephews aren't following this path, though they do seem to be following the other path... the Battlefield/Modern Warfare path. Shameful, but... not exactly rare.

I do agree with you, though. I think that's why options and difficulty settings are the best thing to include with a game you'd like to appeal to several demographics. I remember a while ago I played a game that literally let you play through the tutorial, then told you what difficulty you'd do best at based on your skill. You didn't have to listen, but it did tell you how to start, which I think is a good way to set this up.

I for one am a big fan of choice when it comes to games. I think if you could have a game that lets you manage the HUD however you want, adding or removing what you feel is necessary, that'd be awesome. This tends to happen more with PC games than consoles, but I think it should be done in both areas. I'm hoping that since it looks like graphics are reaching a peak that will take a long time to beat with reasonable budget levels, developers will start throwing money and innovation in other areas... and I think this could be a big one.

Imagine playing a game where instead of using a formula to decide how difficult gameplay should be, it dynamically changes the difficulty and potentially grows with you as you learn how to play. Nothing today comes close to it, but making a game that could literally follow my learning curve and do the same with everyone else regardless of skill... that's worth more to me than photorealism.

kcjerith

Jan 10, 2011
To be honest, I can of like some of the hand holding, I remember old school RPG's (such as the old Ultima's) and they were not easy to jump into. Of course I was like 10 at the time, so that was probably half the problem.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Sorry to double post, but I remember the game that recommended the difficulty level after the tutorial section. It was InFamous.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
And I find all talk of 'text allowing for more choice' to be redundant. If that's so, imagine how much more choice would be available to the player if developers decided to ignore visuals too, and relayed all vital information through on-screen text.
Not to butt into your conversation but this caught my eye.

I'm pretty sure those exist, they're called 'text adventures' I think. I've never played one myself but I hear the scope for choice is quite vast.

...It also sounds like a "choose your own adventure book".

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Mrhappyface 2 said:
STFU and play a REAL RPG with me then.

Even with Dark Souls once you know how to troll the game it becomes VERY easy. If Dark Souls had an even more expansive world and legit traps it would be even more of dynamic game.

OT

I kinda agree some of the shit that allow newer / lazy players to explore might be annoying for those that really want to explore the world. They don't want everything important to be highlighted and hell grabbing a notebook and writing shit down isn't THAT hard. To tell the truth it kinda made the game better for me. Yet I can understand for those that need a journal go ahead and use it. Also it would be nice if they had options to turn off certain things you can have all the help options or you can basically just have a barebones compass and you have to build a map in game.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
Okay, the journal/quest status can stay. It makes sense that your character would have one on them.

The 'automap' is supposed to reveal both terrain and locations when you visit them and not before. When someone gives you instructions on how to get there by landmarks or just by direction it should be recorded in your journal/quest status so you can keep track of it. If you actually have a map fully drawn out by someone then they'll mark it on the map instead.

Compass... well, you need to get it first. Oh, it's not a GPS either. You want to go somewhere? Look at the map or go figure it out yourself.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Or look at Skyrim. Huge open world, dozens of towns, cities and villages, the possibility to influence the way an entire civil war turns out, all of it voice acted.
I used to think full voice acting might cause Skyrim's dialogue to be a bit limited or repetitive, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
I take anything this guy says with a huge grain of salt considering what a broken shitty mess New Vegas was. I've literally never played a game that was anywhere near that non-functional, so I'm really not that interested in his opinions about video games.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
If it's quest markers and journals he specifically has a problem with, then there's really nothing to say. If you want the challenge, don't use them. If they're automatic, try and get developers to make games with the option to turn them off.

While I agree there's such a thing as 'taking the challenge out', there's also the other side of that continuum, which is 'making things masochistically difficult'.

If you have to option to *choose* where on that spectrum you like to play, then that is both the ultimate player convenience, and the solution to the problem.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I can agree with him to an extent. On one hand I like the complexity involved in an RPG, seeing as you're playing the role of character , it would be nice that you could...you know...role play. Exploration etc.

On the other hand, it shouldn't be so complex to the point where it becomes obtuse. Objectives should be clear enough so that it's not expecting you to know something that you were give absolutely no indication of.

One thing about modern RPG's that bothers me is the fact that people have gotten used to the fact that there's generally something that leads you to where you need to go, rather than following a journal or exploring. One complaint about The Witcher 2 I frequently heard, and thought was a silly, was the fact that people couldn't figure out what to do or where to go, despite there being a journal that essentially told you. It's just lazy really considering the game tells you that your journal is filled with information regarding quests, objectives etc.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Vrach said:
Fallout: New Vegas' Hardcore mode is an excellent example of this, but it's just a tad too superficial (although if we look at it as a start, it's a fantastic one at that). It'd be nice to have stuff like the ability to turn off fast travel, quest markers and such. Of course, this also puts a little more pressure on developers - just throwing out fast travel is silly. If there is a sufficiently fast method of movement and "taxi" points where necessary however, it becomes an enjoyable choice as opposed to shooting yourself in the foot (or the balls, depending on the size of the game). Taking Skyrim as example, the carriages could fulfill the second requirement, while removing the sprint exhaustion from horses would've pretty much solved the first.
That's where mods come in. My mod for Fallout 3 adds several "travel terminals" (that charge you a small fee to teleport you around), gives you the option to disable fast travel (for an permanent XP bonus), and generally makes the game more realistic. If devs release mod tools, then modders can "fix" games not being hardcore enough, and do tons of other stuff. All at no cost or trouble to the devs. Really, it's win/win, I wish more developers would figure this out, instead of pissing all over their customers.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
You know what I want to see on maps? A system that let's you write notes on it, so you can keep track of locations. I haven't seen one of those since the Ultima series.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Skandis said:
The whole issue with "journals, quest compasses that point directly to the goal and show you the route, auto-maps, etc" is literally non-existant. If I pay attention I don't need to use the journal or even auto map for that matter. If I don't pay attention I don't have to replay a segment of the game just to get a clue.

What seems more likely is that developers who can't program a game to be played in more than one way opts for the way that leaves most people satisfied. Even so we still have games with subtlety like La noire and Mass Effect. Given, it's not the same outlandish subtlety that Planescape showed; but the former two are also games that I've finished.
Well, sort of.

See, the focus right now is in creating games that a monkey can beat because your casual player doesn't want to be beaten by the game (so to speak). The thing with quest pointers and the like is that usually it winds up handing the solution to puzzles and problems to the players by making it immediatly clear what they are supposed to be doing even when the task shouldn't nessicarly be that straightforward. Such as when your heading into an unknown castle to open a gate or something and the game tells you exactly where the lever you need is, despite there being no way you should logically know this. This allows the casual gamer to head immedalty to the objective and feel like he accomplished something. Likewise there is no point in putting in a lot of dead ends, tricks, or traps if your going to tell the player where to go.

I've been of the general opinion that automaps that record your progress as you move is fine, it saves time with the graph paper. Quest pointers and breadcrumb trails are less so. I tend to think that such things should be dictated by the plot. I mean it makes sense that you might get a quest pointer to say the marketplace in a major city, or a well travelled village down the road, but when you get one to the epic lost ruins that nobody has visited in 1000 years or more, that is somehow so precise as to pinpoint the location of the Macguffin your after within the ruin... well yeah... that's kind of ridiculous.

See, part of the satisfaction of succeeding in a game is to do something that you could easily see stumping people, especially if know it has done so. When your simply following a golden thread from objective to objective and realize that anyone who wanted to put in a similar amount of time could do the same thing it tends to kind of ruin the excitement of
the whole thing and any feeling of accomplishment.

Of course then again in the era of Gamefaqs and other similar sites, it can be argued that casual hand holding is a surrender to the inevitability that anyone with the internet and 10 minutes can probably find a solution to whatever their problem is at a moment's notice anyway.

Don't get me wrong, casual games are fine, but the problem is that every game is being turned into a casual game, and things like RPGs which were one of the few refuges of
serious gamers are themselves becoming incredibly shallow, casual affairs. Casuals and serious gamers don't mingle as well as you might expect because the industry is focusing entirely on the larger casual market because of the potential money to be made there, while neglecting the non-casual fare. The idea is to try and make everything approachable and non-threatening rather than just flat out saying "no, this game is not for you" to the casual crowd and developing it entirely for the serious gaming market without those kinds of concessions.

In regards to the thread in general, I think there is no real reason why you can't have character generation and voice acting. I don't mind a silent protaganist, but at the same time games like "Saint's Row" (parts 2 and 3) have demonstrated that it's possible to have multiple voice scripts for the player character. Have say ten people do the dialogue for the player character and letting the player choose the voice they want to use does a lot of character creation.

Heck, even before "Saint's Row" I remember "Wizardry 8" which was probably the last great party-based Western RPG. That game had a decent number of personailities you could assign to your various created characters and they would chime in at various points in the storyline, and even occasionally dicker back and forth. Sadly nobody had the guts to really pick up where that game left off, probably because the company that did that game was in a rough spot at the time from some bad choices, and the game itself never got quite the release or circulation it deserved.

Chromanin

Apr 6, 2010
Dirty Apple said:
Because, to fail would mean that they aren't perfect and special like they'd been told.
Very poetic. Too many people think it's their right to innately be good at video games. It's a hobby and skill that takes time and practice like anything else.