Fallout: New Vegas Gets the Ultimate Treatment

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
hmm I was thiinking of getting NV on PS3 just so I could access the DLC...this seems like its worth wating for

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Hence why I refused to buy the original edition. I got hosed once with Fallout 3, and I wasn't going to have it happen a second time.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
In response to the general bugs questions: I've actually been crash-free on the 360 since Old World Blues, possibly since Honest Hearts. I can't remember the last time I've hit a serious game-breaking bug.

There still the occasional graphical glitch, items clipping, or NPC pathing issue, but those are minor, imo.

As for the "Ultimate pack" this feels like one of the few games that really needs the DLC to be complete. I know they were trying to go for the "blank slate" character, and give you the option to build it up yourself... but seriously, a little bit of backstory would have been nice, in the main game. So much of your own history lies with Ulysses that it feels like a good portion of the game is missing without it.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
Uber Waddles said:
Kinda annoying for all these people to be QQing about the bugs.

Have you actually played New Vegas, or are you content with passing off a reviewers opinion as your own? Bethesda and Obsidian have been very good with their patches for this game, which brings the glitches down to the miniscule level. Occasionally, a scorpion will protrude half below/half above the surface, but I've honestly had less issues with New Vegas than I did with Fallout 3.

Most of the people QQing about the bugs were people from day 1, where even then the glithes were sparadic, at best. The people who still complain about them are either people who havent played it, people who havent played it since its initial release, or nitpickers.

Ive personally never had it lock up on me or anything stupid like that. Yes, its not perfect, but its still a pretty damn good game.

On that note, with the whiny-crybaby gamer community, I can see why this didn't reach Game of the Year status. Which kinda sucks, it was leaps and bounds over Fallout 3, which was still a beast game. While I havent picked up the DLC for New Vegas yet, it would be pretty much the same price for the disk as the DLC. Not too bad a deal.
Well dont pick up dead money because that dlc is the glitchiest piece of $%^& of a dlc and will most likely end up pissing you off or that was just my experience when i finished it last month. The game still glitches from people walking five feet off the ground to the occasional freeze up. Oh, and the game froze as dead moneys dlc started to give you a clue at how bad it was. Im still experiencing tons of glitches but most i can ignore.

So no, people are still having problems with the game and its not a nitpick. When i watch four giant radscorpions dance along in the distance and when i killed them they sunk into the ground and their body and limbs were stretching out of the ground in random areas. I think its my right to complain.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I was really looking forward to this for a while, but after playing Fallout New Vegas for a week or 2, I don't think I actually want to buy the game at all anymore. It just didn't suck me in as much as Fallout 3 (Which I fucking loved but was never able to get the DLC), and the DLC doesn't look as good as the Fallout 3 DLC.

Really not sure if I'll get this, especially with the lineup of new games I gotten recently/plan to get soon.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
Freaky Lou said:
On my first playthrough I got a glitch during the final mission. A door I needed didn't appear, and since the mission was already started there was no turning back. I was completely stuck and my NV game was over.
You mean to tell me that the giant wall of text, screaming "THERE IS NO GOING BACK FROM THIS POINT SERIOUSLY SAVE YOUR GAME FIRST" didn't make you want to, maybe, save your game first?

Freaky Lou said:
Another time, when I went to Nellis Air Base, the Boomers didn't stop firing for a second. I clipped under the ground to get through that and into the base, but even once inside they did not stop firing, and I died during the little cutscene.
So, you used a glitch (or possibly console command) and are upset that it caused a problems down the road? Did you ever think to just Fast Travel away and back? Or just run through the mortars. I swear the boomers can't hit the broad side of a courier.

Freaky Lou said:
Several times I got this glitch where my weapon wouldn't holster, and every time I switched weapons it would fire automatically.
Are you sure you weren't just sitting on the controller? Maybe got some food crumbs stuck in the buttons.

Freaky Lou said:
In a number of quests, conversation topics that would allow me to continue didn't appear.

On Black Mountain, talking to the Super Mutant (I forget his name), whether I agreed to help him or not, he responded as if I'd refused.
You were probably missing an action needed to trigger the speech options. A ran into that kinda thing a few times. usually just walked into the nearest building and back out again. The reload fixed it.

Freaky Lou said:
Got a glitch a couple times where my weapon fired constantly and uncontrollably.
See above. Clean out your keyboard or stop sitting on the controller

Freaky Lou said:
On several occasions the game's FPS lagged so badly that things were just popping in and out of different locations.
Not sure about the FPS lagging. you should check all the basics: reboot, clean out dust, ensure good airflow, etc.

Freaky Lou said:
Got hung up on scenery countless times.
Gentle Slope of Unclimbability and Insurmountable Chest High Walls are kinda annoying... but intentional to keep you railroaded to the plot.

Freaky Lou said:
Companion vanished, never to be found, two or three times.
Had that happen a few times. They've added a decent work around though... one of the DLC's put in a "Companion Dismissal Terminal" in a few locations (Gun Runners, Lucky 38.) You can automatically send all companions back home with it. Not perfect, but a suitable workaround. also helpful if you told a companion to "stay" and wandered off.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Yay, really looking forward to this. I bought the Fallout 3 GOTY and I'm definitely going to buy this one when it comes out.

svenjl

Mar 16, 2011
Varrdy said:
Andy Chalk said:
The same thing happened with the Game of the Year Edition of Fallout 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-3-Game-Year-Xbox-360/dp/B001REZLY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320353837&sr=8-1], which included $50 of DLC in a $50 game.
Didn't Fallout 3: GOTY also ship with more bugs than a entomology-samples truck crashing into an ant-farm?

Of course New Vegas Ultimate edition wont ship with any more bugs...I dunno if it's possible for New Vegas to be any more buggy.

Wardy
PS Although I have still devoted over 300 hours of my life to New Vegas...I'm just going to go away and be quiet now...sorry.

PPS Playing through Fallout 3 again for the nostalgia value...despite not playing it for over a year, I remember way too much!
Nooooooo, Fallout 3 GOTY was pretty much bug free. Maybe some minor things like any game, but I never had a problem. NV Ultimate should be well worth it.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
lowkey_jotunn said:
You mean to tell me that the giant wall of text, screaming "THERE IS NO GOING BACK FROM THIS POINT SERIOUSLY SAVE YOUR GAME FIRST" didn't make you want to, maybe, save your game first?
It's still obnoxious.

lowkey_jotunn said:
So, you used a glitch (or possibly console command) and are upset that it caused a problems down the road? Did you ever think to just Fast Travel away and back? Or just run through the mortars. I swear the boomers can't hit the broad side of a courier.
No. See, the reason I used the console command is that they wouldn't stop firing, ever. The explosions just kept coming and coming; regardless of whether I was in the area, regardless of whether I was inside their camp, regardless of ANYTHING. Many of the explosions hit me even underground. It was relentless.

lowkey_jotunn said:
Are you sure you weren't just sitting on the controller? Maybe got some food crumbs stuck in the buttons.
Don't talk to me like I'm an idiot. Besides, I was playing on PC. Is it really that hard for you to believe that the game was broken beyond belief, and MAYBE you just got lucky? Because I had this same glitch happen on Fallout 3 on PS3, and on Oblivion for PC. The gamebryo engine does this.

lowkey_jotunn said:
You were probably missing an action needed to trigger the speech options. A ran into that kinda thing a few times. usually just walked into the nearest building and back out again. The reload fixed it.
Again, stop assuming I'm a moron.

lowkey_jotunn said:
See above. Clean out your keyboard or stop sitting on the controller
AGAIN, stop assuming I'm a moron. The problem is the game.

lowkey_jotunn said:
Not sure about the FPS lagging. you should check all the basics: reboot, clean out dust, ensure good airflow, etc.
Or maybe, and this is just a thought, a game notorious for bugging out was doing so.

lowkey_jotunn said:
Gentle Slope of Unclimbability and Insurmountable Chest High Walls are kinda annoying... but intentional to keep you railroaded to the plot.
1. It's not a linear game and 2. I'm talking about clipping through things and getting stuck in them.

The game is very broken, dude. You got lucky, and had a much easier experience with it than most. Be grateful, and don't assume that the thousands of people who had problems are all just stupid.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
obscurumlux01 said:
WTB: "Fallout New Vegas - Complete and 99% Bug-Free-Edition" aka what you should've gotten on Day 1 but we were too greedy and lazy to give you.

The bugs are INEXCUSABLE. There are plenty of great games out there that don't have such debilitating bugs and MAJOR crash issues that deserve your money.

But hey, keep bending over and taking it up the ass, right? :p

EDIT:
StarCraft series
Diablo series (duping/hacking, patched later, and regularly)
Warcraft series (patched regularly)
BioWare games tend to also have regular patches and be mostly bug-free

Any more examples? Why give more money for such crappy work? They don't deserve any more of your money, ever. >_>

DOUBLE EDIT:
Remember when you could buy a console game and it would be COMPLETE, not require ANY patches (except for online play for balancing or extra free content), and work out of the box, plug and play, the way consoles were supposed to stay?

Remember when you could play a console game without freezes or crashes? Yeah, crashes on a console, where's the 'PC is hard 2 code 4' bullshit now?

*pulls out and hugs PS2* MINE!
I'm kind of weirded out because Dragon Age Ultimate Edition crashes my PS3 more than New Vegas does now that I've patched New Vegas.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
I'll probably sell my copy of New Vegas for like 15$ and pick this up when it goes on sale to like $30 since I don't have any of the dlc and I've been meaning to replay it as a melee character.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
Nice, just nice. Also does anyone happen to know wether there is going to be similar thing for Mass Effect 2? There was for Dragon Age if I'm not mistaken.

Zach Moore

Nov 7, 2011
traded in a crap game (Force Unleashed 2) and picked up new vegas. The copy was new enough, the disc looked like it was fresh from the factory and the box included every bit of paper a new game typically comes with including the DLC water flask, gun, armor code in it making me believe someone else bought it new..popped it in the ps3 and then the game froze after about an hour of game play. I loved fallout 3 and since these freezing "issues" are a wide spread complaint for new vegas..i think that bethesda and the others responsible should send us this new complete edition free since their first attempt at releasing the game was so broken. If they haven't fixed it then they've got a heck of a racket going selling a broken game then re-releasing that same broken steaming pile for 60bucks a pop again.

Zach Moore

Nov 7, 2011
crimsonshrouds said:
Uber Waddles said:
Kinda annoying for all these people to be QQing about the bugs.

Have you actually played New Vegas, or are you content with passing off a reviewers opinion as your own? Bethesda and Obsidian have been very good with their patches for this game, which brings the glitches down to the miniscule level. Occasionally, a scorpion will protrude half below/half above the surface, but I've honestly had less issues with New Vegas than I did with Fallout 3.

Most of the people QQing about the bugs were people from day 1, where even then the glithes were sparadic, at best. The people who still complain about them are either people who havent played it, people who havent played it since its initial release, or nitpickers.

Ive personally never had it lock up on me or anything stupid like that. Yes, its not perfect, but its still a pretty damn good game.

On that note, with the whiny-crybaby gamer community, I can see why this didn't reach Game of the Year status. Which kinda sucks, it was leaps and bounds over Fallout 3, which was still a beast game. While I havent picked up the DLC for New Vegas yet, it would be pretty much the same price for the disk as the DLC. Not too bad a deal.
i tried really hard to play new vegas...got it about 10months-1yr after it came out..first attempt to play made it 3 hrs before it froze..hadnt saved in an hour..ok a little bummed. 2nd try made it a whopping 4 hrs before a freeze..ok im annoyed. This was my experience every time i played the game..by my 6th attempt i gave up and shelved it..my ps3 was about 6months old..New Vegas was just broken its not whining if a large portion of the community has had the same experience. I understand there has been some patches since my last attempt to play it and hope that it works now..

Well dont pick up dead money because that dlc is the glitchiest piece of $%^& of a dlc and will most likely end up pissing you off or that was just my experience when i finished it last month. The game still glitches from people walking five feet off the ground to the occasional freeze up. Oh, and the game froze as dead moneys dlc started to give you a clue at how bad it was. Im still experiencing tons of glitches but most i can ignore.

So no, people are still having problems with the game and its not a nitpick. When i watch four giant radscorpions dance along in the distance and when i killed them they sunk into the ground and their body and limbs were stretching out of the ground in random areas. I think its my right to complain.