Fallout New Vegas: The Post-Benny Syndrome

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
I killed him, took the Chip to House as per my original contract and rejected his proceeding job offers.

I don't give two shits about politics or how the world turns out, because it's not my world at all.

I went around with Cass collecting all the unique weapons and displaying them all at my place in Novac. After that, the game stopped being fun.

Avery Ogle

Dec 8, 2012
How come no one here is talking about Mr. House? He was the first one I allied with when I started playing Fallout New Vegas. The NCR are neutral and the Legion is neutral. The fiends and powder gangers are evil and the Followers Of the Apocolypse is good. Mr. House wants to rebuild society like it was but much much better.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Avery Ogle said:
How come no one here is talking about Mr. House? He was the first one I allied with when I started playing Fallout New Vegas. The NCR are neutral and the Legion is neutral. The fiends and powder gangers are evil and the Followers Of the Apocolypse is good. Mr. House wants to rebuild society like it was but much much better.
Maybe because this thread is a year old and people have moved on? Honestly, it's great that people are using the search engine, but for christ's sake could thread necros please use some date checking?

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I actually thought the game really expanded after I killed Benny.

It was no longer just about getting revenge, it was about deciding the very future of both New Vegas and the people of the Mojave.

EDIT: Oh jeez! It's another necro'd thread!

Kind of like the Courier at the beginning of the game now that I think about it. XD

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I wasn't bored with the game at all once I had killed Benny. I love New Vegas too much to ever get bored with it. Hell I've played the game with 43 different characters, all around 100 hours each (had a lot of free time in the past) and every time I still found something new in it. Now I have it on the PC so the possibilities are never ending for the fun. Heck I think there is a mod that allows you to keep Benny alive if you want.

Edit: Oh no! A necro thread! Curses, I was lured by the thought of talking about New Vegas!

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I liked that your quest for revenge against Benny was a springboard to bigger and better things. At the beginning of the game, my raison d'etre was certainly to hunt him down and finish him. When I got to him though, all I wanted to do was kill him quickly so I can move on to the bigger fish I had to fry.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Kair said:
AlternatePFG said:
Kair said:
I thought Fallout New Vegas had an unfulfilling plot, where the mood of action and consequence was like a bad rip off The Witcher, where everything goes to hell whatever you do. As opposed to The Witcher, in New Vegas' cynical world you can smell the American views of the world (which is a short-sighted and faulty view of the world and humanity). One clear example is the NCR, supposedly 'good guys' only because they wish to restore a pre-apocalypse American society.

NV does not get boring after you kill Benny, it gets boring and downright insulting after you realize what Obsidian did to Fallout.
Dude, Fallout's been doing that since before the Witcher was even around. Have played the first two games? Just because 3 was much more black and white, doesn't mean it's that way for the other games.
Still I think Obsidian cocked it up. It is easy for me to see when something is aimed at an American audience. I put The Witcher as an example because it was made by a Polish developer team, and they even avoided using the Soviet Union as inspiration despite Poland's position as a former Soviet satellite state. That is how you appeal to an international audience. Many American developers are far more nationally oriented.
It is the focus on the American audience that made the New Vegas dark world seem silly and boring to me.
Nilfgaard = Soviet Union.

Anyway,New Vegas is set in America. The Witcher is set in fantasy Europe. Your argument is silly.

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
I think that what you're trying to describe is actually two specific problems that the game has after meeting up with benny.

First and foremost, the game straight up info dumps practically every bit of information you could ever want to know with regards to the why, how, and what of the story as soon as you get the chip. There is no development or additional mystery aside from a few questions about how dickish the various factions are (which were pretty much already touched on before. Why was vegas spared from hellish nuclear war? Why was the chip important? Who is Mr house? What was benny planning? The games fucking up and tells you. Unlike the original fallout, which forces you to find out more about the super mutants before you can deal with them. Even worse, once you decide to side with a faction, there is no question of what the factions want you to do (battle for the dam). No, it becomes basically becomes one long unvaried checklist.

Which brings me to the next problem: The game takes away most of your sense of self direction as soon as you deal with Benny. I don't mean that it takes away the ability of the player to decide where to go or what to do. Rather, in the beginning of the game it gives you the vague singular goal of "find the guy that tried to kill you and recover the package that you lost" which was a goal that made sense for you, the player. Right after you deal with benny, everyone and their dog suddenly comes to you because you can apparently do all sorts of awesome shit. The only problem is that it ends up being a more or less identical progression of other people (even a robot that is only supposed to take orders) telling the player to either deal with or kill various factions, most of whom are the same. The game makes a big deal about picking which of the factions you want to have in power the most, but it is largely disconnected from your actions on the given quest lines. After all, it's a hell of a lot more difficult to root discussions of tyranny and society in a game about shooting people in the face (or occasionally talking to them) than it is to have a story about "go kill that douche bag."

Id est, with benny, the game tells you why you are in the given situation and then lets you do whatever you feel like doing about it. After benny, the game tells you what to do, then offers justification for it. It's more complicated than that, and qualifiers obviously abound, but that's what I'd boil my critique down to.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
My Courier seduced him, let him escape, followed him to the Legion, freed him, then let him escape again. She was shot in the head, so...

But yeah, after that I basically slaughtered my way out of their stronghold and then just stood there with at least 6 different ways to go and no idea of what I wanted to do.

Hargrimm

Jan 1, 2010
Avery Ogle said:
Why did you have to necro a thread from August of last year?

wait...

Avery Ogle

Where the fuck do you people keep coming from? Are these like, /b/ raids or something?