Fallout: New Vegas

thatcanadianguy

Feb 15, 2009
i dont really play fallout for the "RPG" element. well, ok i do, but only for the sake that its the only FPS i;ve seen with a true "rpg" gamestyle. [no thats not an invitation to you nerds to cough up your favourite FpsRpgOmg]

MOSTLY i play it for the exploration, and the accumulation of ill gotten goodies. this is why i always specalize in sneak and security. i like breaking into places, nicking all my victims loot and wheat-a-bix, and skippign town before the local law catches on. i like to rp as the sneaky, stealthy guy, skulking about in the darkest corners of any given map, flitting from tree to tree, popping out with a sniper rifle to pop the head off a bandit, or radscorpion.

also, i like putting landmines in peoples pockets. capmines work the best. its like hitting a pinata, all them bottle caps rainign down on you, rewarding you for yet another bloody murder *cue evil laugh, and wringing of hands*

i also liked FO3 because of that sweet ass hat you get in one of the first mission. that "neutral grey" fedora that increases sneak.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Sorry, I don't agree with the fast travel thing.
Nothing is worse than traveling all the way across the already traveled through areas of the map to do some mundane mission that will further the story.
Red Dead Redemption was very guilty of sending you back and forth all the way across the map. It became very tedious and boring. Nothing breaks immersion quite like being so bored you wanted to stab a rusty nail in your neck just to make sure you're alive.

Also, fast travel is (usually) an option. Let's keep it that way. In Fallout 3, I often strolled to my location instead of fast traveling so I could get more caps or ammo. If the objective was in the northwest and I was in the southeast, well I may smack the fast travel to get there a bit faster.

Phlopsy

Nov 21, 2008
Condiments said:
Its quite clear from this review that Yahtzee didn't give Fallout: New Vegas a fair shake because it isn't just Fallout 3 only more. Its understandable considering the amount of games he has to play, but disregarding it on that basis is pretty unprofessional if you ask me.
I don't see how you can say he disregarded it given that the review clearly shows that he played a good deal of the game.

To the point, I've always felt that the Oblivion-style games strike a good balance. Yes you can basically teleport, but you have to at least hike there on foot and discover the location once before you can do that. So you still have to experience the journey at least once and take in all the terrain and features of the environment before the fast travel works.

Phlopsy

Nov 21, 2008
SiskoBlue said:
Can't say games are getting immersion right for me lately. They all go on about the HUD, and how this breaks immersion. It doesn't. If it's always there you kind of go blind to it.

Bugs, bugs break the immersion. When characters do truly bizarre things, that breaks immersion. Funny, but takes you out of the game.

My biggest gripe with Fallout New Vegas so far is the obvious "path" they've made in an open world game. In Fallout 3, you get directed to the nearest town on leaving the vault. A tip. A suggestion. You don't HAVE to go there. But it's logical in "role-playing" that you would. Actually if I was really role-playing I'd probably spend the first 24 hours curled up in the fetal position weeping and struggling to hide somewhere near the vault door. Come-on. I've spent my entire life underground in cramped tunnels yet don't suffer agoraphobia?

So you go to Megatown. The next major story quests take you deeper into the map and then south. And kind of all over. There's no OBVIOUS direction. Plus you constantly pick up map markers for what will presumably be points of interest and new side quests. And they're scattered all over the place. You can literally wonder in any direction. Of course some areas are tougher than others. Like around the DC monuments but you can still get around them without detouring too much.

And this is what's bugged me about Fallout New Vegas. I wake up in some guy's house. He's saved my life so already I'm being forced to be polite. I don't have to be but it's doesn't feel real or immmersive to be a jerk to him. Then going outside I'm already in a town and expected to start fitting in. For the next 15 hours every mission and side mission I got was pushing me south. I tried going North and meet a dead end. Enemies waaaaay too powerful for me to have any chance of gettnig past them. West there's a gigantic mountain range. Well, not gigantic but it's obviously a "wall", not a mountain range. it's purpose is to stop me getting to it's other side. East, same thing, although I could get through in some parts... no wait, ridiculously over-powered enemies there too, another "wall" then. South it is.

And as I make my way around I can see the "path". A path that leads me gently past most of the major attactions and content the developer paid damn good money for so bloody well look at it. All the way to the doors of New Vegas. At least I'm assuming that because I'm role playing and once I was more powerful I said "F*** you this is MY role-playing, not obsidian's" and took off. Still, it ruined the illusion for me.

The other thing that ruins the illusion is the stupid ass morality system and reputation. Very first contact with a jerk. I shot a guy in the bar because he was threatening the locals. Apparently this horrified them. Instead I'm supposed to convince them the guy is a jerk, rally them together and THEN kill this guy, but now he's brought his mates along? But they like me for it. If they just let me nip it in the bud in the first place stupid yokels.

Secondly what's so bad about martial law in a post-apocalyptic world. It might be necessary for our survival. But clearly Karma doesn't think so. Killing NCR is bad, killing Legion good. Thanks for letting me make my own choices obsidian. Also I'd like to clarify some unusual points;
1) If I kill everyone in the room how the hell does the group they belong to know to hate me? They can't even solve the most basic mysterys or puzzles yet somehow instantly know you've killed their comrades.
2) Having killed every single one of their comrades as and when I've met them, how come they don't attack me on sight? Or how come sometimes they do and sometimes they just decide to sneer at me? We are at war aren't we?
3) So it's ok Karma-wise to stab a sleeping man, and take all his stuff. But not cool to pinch a comic out of his foot locker? He's not going to use it now is he. And as pointed out before THIS IS WAR!?
4) How come the NCR is so stupid? They have these soldiers that will fight to the death guarding a post but they'll let some random idiot come in and steal, break, kill and fiddle with all their stuff.

Still I like shooting things in slow-motion. Guess no one told Yahztee you can press a button to stop the slow VATS at any time, or even turn it off in settings?
Yes, THIS, all of this. I definitely feel like I'm being shepherded along in New Vegas, like the main plot line is just kind of sitting there, tapping its foot and checking its watch, waiting for me to check the next task off its list. I feel like I have to go hunting for side quests and 90 of those lizard-coyote things will rip my nuts off (or my ovaries I guess, my character is a girl) if I try to go exploring where I'm "not supposed to" yet. FO3 was more successful in feeling like the main plot was a life goal, and in the mean time I'm going to have to see what's going on in this world.

And the karma system needs some serious work. They put a huge effort into creating moral ambiguity in the decisions to be made, but then overtly tell you who the good/bad guys REALLY are, according to the developers, by giving you karma gain or loss based on what you did. Perfect example, I was in Big Springs and (minor SPOILER) I had to go looking for a sniper picking off NCR, but when I found him he said it was justified because the NCR had murdered his people and they were the real aggressor. A morally ambiguous choice to be made. Then there seemed to be no other option to finish the quest (although I wasn't forced to finish it there is a clear incentive to do so for the XP), so when I stuffed dynamite down his pants and blew his ass off for defending his land against what he views as murderers, I gain karma. So despite the carefully crafted ambiguity, there is an arbitrary score system, like a teacher's edition of the text book with the answers all written in for who's really good and who's really bad. You can decide for yourself, but not really.

And the karma/rep/communication thing is bewildering too. So okay, I'm shunned at the NCR establishment because I massacred everybody at the last NCR establishment. Everybody is talking about what a horrible loss it was when everybody got massacred there; they must know I did it because I'm "shunned." But it's cool for me to walk about, buy medical supplies from the doctor, and then they act all surprised when I also stuff dynamite down his pants and blow off the doctor's ass. Oh, but karma loss for that, buddy.

Despite my complaints, I really like New Vegas very much. It is a load of fun and it does allow for some great role playing. For instance, I deal with the trauma of being shot at the beginning of the game by stuffing lit sticks of dynamite down the pants of as many people as possible. When I run out of dynamite, I stuff live frag mines in people's pants. I know of no other game which allows me to literally blow people's legs off by sticking explosives in their clothes.

Edit: I might note that this sort of consistency flaw extended all the way back to Oblivion. I have about 180 hours in Oblivion, probably capped the main plot somewhere around hour 80. Random NPC is telling me, "Have you heard about the (blah blah thing that happens at the climax)?) Dude, I'm the Hero of the Universe, or whatever they crowned me. You really don't know who I am? Okay if you're just the town drunk that's fine, but I get crowned Grand Poobah of the World for 3 seconds, and then I go back to incognito. Okay guys, I'm the Arch Mage of the Land, the Grand Overlord of Thieves, Murder Master and Fighting King, and you guys really have no idea who I am? Maybe a "behold, it's the Arch Mage" or "in my store you get a discount because you saved the goddamn world" would help fix this a bit.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
So true, Fallout is really lacking detail, somehow they expect your imagination to fill the emptiness (which works with my imagination quite well)
And why they didn't add vehicles is beyond me, it would be so awesome to hop on a bike and take a ride...

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
I would have happily walked and explored more in Fallout:New Vegas if I didn't spend the last 60+ hours of the game in crippling fear of the game freezing.

So instead, I fast traveled everywhere, because the game never froze on me doing that.

sidwarrious

Jul 21, 2009
Actually my post wasn't about "why don't you just not use it" and was about "Yahtzee was talking about making your own fun and then bitched a completely optional system ruined his fun. That's kinda weird." And honestly if exploring everywhere isn't your thing then is it really going to make a difference if you have a horse or a car or a steam powered hover balloon? Exploring is exploring and doing it faster isn't so much as exploring as it is just plain travelling. And you can only fast travel places you've been to so unless you've been everywhere there's always more to explore. If the world is too big or you honestly feel you walk too slow or whatever then maybe open world sandboxes aren't for you. At what point is it a matter of simply not liking the game instead of trying to validate not liking it? That's how Yahtzee came off to me. More like he simply didn't like the game and was trying to explain why when there wasn't really a reason. It just never drew him in. Saying things like NPCs flit back in forth in voice acting and personality would be spot on...if he were talking about oblivion but you can't talk to nearly as many people as you could in Oblivion and they all maintain their personalities big and small boring and not. I just didn't understand how fast traveling which was completely optional could RUIN the game. That's what the article is about and I thought that was silly.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
DeadlyYellow said:
Levethian said:
Tiamat666 said:
if you don't like fast travel...
...why just not use it?
He said. It's too slow & boring.
I think it's more the idea there aren't any alternatives. In Oblivion you get the horse yes, but it's still slow and monotonous.

Plus the fact you couldn't fight while on the horse. You could either slowly dismount while the beasties take potshots at you and your steed, or run. And depending on the difficulty (and excluding specific mounts,) the horse could either die or flee, leaving you back to square one.
WoW had that exact same issue, except you couldn't lose the horse in any way.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
HaraDaya said:
I learned that not having fast travel was a good thing in Far Cry 2. People need to learn to enjoy the hike to the objective. It's sort of a build up to the climax of the mission. Games of course need to make the hike interesting, which is were Fallout New Vegas falls a little short. Both because you run what feels like so goddamn slow, and because it's mostly just huge open wastes.
Far Cry 2 DID have a fast travel system. Remember the bus stops?

GoodApprentice

Apr 27, 2010
"If Yahzee wanted to review something difrent, then why not Mount&Blade?
Its a geat little game that really deserves more reviews."

Wait a minute there. I think you're confusing Yahtzee for a PC gamer. Games like Fallout NV are about as far as he manages to delve into the realm of complex, inventory based, open-world rpg's. The guy is a console tard through and through, so don't expect that level of focus from him.

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
samaugsch said:
HaraDaya said:
I learned that not having fast travel was a good thing in Far Cry 2. People need to learn to enjoy the hike to the objective. It's sort of a build up to the climax of the mission. Games of course need to make the hike interesting, which is were Fallout New Vegas falls a little short. Both because you run what feels like so goddamn slow, and because it's mostly just huge open wastes.
:/
There was 4 different points in each map you could travel to, and you had travel to the bus stops to use them. It never transported you so close to your objective it wouldn't take at least 5-10 minutes to go there.
In Fallout 3 you can sometimes travel from one objective to the next, taking only a steps.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
HaraDaya said:
samaugsch said:
HaraDaya said:
:/
There was 4 different points in each map you could travel to, and you had travel to the bus stops to use them. It never transported you so close to your objective it wouldn't take at least 5-10 minutes to go there.
In Fallout 3 you can sometimes travel from one objective to the next, taking only a steps.
Ah, I see what you mean. So limited fast travel is ok.

Aaron Navarez

Nov 20, 2010
Yahtzee,I love watching your videos and how you pick on games. I agree with alot of them and love how you point out ever detail that bugged the crap out off me, along with ones that i didn't catch at first. Me and my son always watch your videos and this one made us both laugh. I would like to ask if you plan on reviewing Medal of Honor or Call of Duty: Black ops in the future. I liked both games storymode wise amd want to see how you liked it.

Aaron Navarez

Communist partisan

Jan 24, 2009
Yeah, a fast travel system would be great for both 3 and NV I never thinked of that...

It would be fun if you reviewed a older game, like GTA 3..... but I have a feeling that day never come.

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
I've never been spurred before to comment on a Yahtzee related topic, but I've just been playing New Vegas, and as not the biggest RPG fan, and not having ALL the time in the world to play my games, I'd have to say having a big beef with fast travel is one of the most stupid things I've heard proposed by the man.
Fast travel allows those of us who wish to skip certain arduous trips in favor of cutting to the chase, the ones we want to take, the new exploration, not the retreading of discovered ground. If you want to feel the bigness of the world, then don't fast travel, the option's right there for you. To say the game must force you not to fast travel implies that it is simply not fun to travel at normal speed in the game. If THAT's your problem with the game, well then there you go, makes a lot more sense.
If your problem is having an option that allows those of us in the real world, who have maybe completed a mission, or overburdened our inventory, and just realized it's bedtime before work tomorrow, to skip to town and save with the luxury of being well rested, well then piss off, I don't need your input on the subject.
Except that I'm sure you just whimsically picked up on this subject as your topic for the week because you needed something to write upon quickly, and didn't give it actually that much thought, and spilled out some amusing drivel on the subject, which was, as usual, fun to read, and isn't that really the point?

So as always, I enjoyed your piece, even if it was a stupid premise.

Live4Lotus

Dec 5, 2009
Hate all you want...it is not the same game as fallout 3. Fallout 3 was drab and humorless...fallout new vegas is funny even if you do not name your character "a slut".

You complain about fast travel...but with those roads, you would be complaining a lot more about motorcycles, and you would be furious if you had to walk across the desert for every mission. There don't seem to be many normal animals around (other than the descendants of the dogs that were kept in the vaults) ...even if there were horses, they would just try to eat you (plus, we know how you feel about horse travel from your Red Dead and Assassins Creed reviews). That just leaves magical beasts that don't even make sense in the WoW world. The game has a sense of "bigness" anyway...because fast travels are never unlocked until you have already gone there on foot.

discordance

Sep 15, 2010
Phlopsy said:
And the karma system needs some serious work. They put a huge effort into creating moral ambiguity in the decisions to be made, but then overtly tell you who the good/bad guys REALLY are, according to the developers, by giving you karma gain or loss based on what you did.
Honestly, to me it felt like they just forgot to take the karma system out of fallout 3. I never paid attention to what my karma was. It doesn't even make a difference game-wise, as far as I could tell - reputation is way more important.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
STALKER Call of Pripyat.
you've done the relatively poor clear sky, Pripyat very few, if any bugs, and gives you a world and options to do your own thing to complete objectives, and it really isn't that hard.

gilbro7

Apr 15, 2009
I feel like I wanna see more reviews for DS Games, maybe also another JRPG, I always get a kick out of those. What if there was a way to combine the two?