Fallout: New Vegas

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
gilbro7 said:
I feel like I wanna see more reviews for DS Games, maybe also another JRPG, I always get a kick out of those. What if there was a way to combine the two?
Golden Sun DS is coming out soon.

I don't understand the problem with fast travel. Most of the time you can only travel to where you've been so you still get to see a lot of stuff and if you really don't like it than you can always just not use it

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
i liked traveling in rdr cause getting a good horse was fun and fast, i mean you could travel the whole map in about 10 15 minutes with the black horse or that god horse u get fairly early on in the story, but mine walked off a damn cliff and got killed.....leanrning the roads and such and know what routes to take made travel fast n easy.

problem with fo3 is it was never a game that was vehicle friendly. there were not many good patches of roads, the city was broken up into zones you had very finite stretches of road before you had to enter some annoying ass sewer maze to get to the next patch of town to find the next sewer maze to get wth you wanted to go.

vehicles were never considered for for fo3 so you never had animations or proper collision detenctions put in for the bike and car models.

there were a few land vehicle mods for fo3 but i think all were considered pretty damn buggy with horrible collision and caused more problems than they solved.

but on the other hand the sky vehicles for fo3 a hoverchair and a vertibird mod worked pretty darn well by all accounts.

nv has the great bonus of having a ton of roads and all the towns and major landmarks connected by roadways that are in decent shape. it would have been nice if obsidian had spent some time making the animations and collisions for a proper working vehicle. but then the nv map is not all the huge anyway, vehicles are nice but hardly a necessity when you can run across the map in 25 minutes or so from one end to another, well barring any untimely deaths.

i tended to use fast travel when my damn game was deciding it was gonna crash :p, otherwise i ran all over the place. and it never took all that long to get from vegas to just about any point on the map, lest when you could clear out the deathclaws and the other roads between the vegas area and the s/sw.

Quartermaine

Nov 22, 2010
Better than last weeks extra punctuation at least. Never understood why hardcore video game players bitched and moaned about fast travel in Oblivion. Your explanation made sense, so now I know why they complained about it.

On another note I think they should have made vehicles drivable in Vegas. There's heaps of places where bikes are set up and appear like they have been used/going to be used. Even Fallout 2 had a car.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I did like how you start to die if you play on hardcore while using fast travel. It kind of discourages you from moving too far and gives you a real sense of mortality (I think the amped up difficulty helped too - ie, deathclaws actually live up to their name now).

I agree though, where is my motorcycle?

stardroid

Mar 29, 2010
I have to admit that fast travel is bad, because the fist part of the game I explored every location on map, but at the end of the story I wanted and want to explore, but it is very hard to find location on you foot when almost every thing has already been found. To tell the truth the power armor dosent help it only slows you down.
About role playing. At first I was every happy about hardcore mode, because of the needs to sleep, eat, drink and it is good, but the sleeping part has failed heavenly, because you only need to drink nuke-cola(I wish that it would word in the real life, that would help me study better...).

Still Fallout NV has come a far way from Oblivion in realisms, but good thing have been lost too like transportation. Maybe after 5 years games will be realistic, but I hope that wont happen, because then human race will be lost for ever...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It's easier to maintain a sense of immersion if you can properly show the passage of time.
Part of the problem with Oblivion (and its half-brother, Fallout 3) is the Radiant AI.
Nothing ages, events never trigger until your convenient timing, and traveling feels suspiciously like Groundhog Day.

Fast Travel eliminates the one remaining points of immersion, but it doesn't have to.

Teleportation and Flight have been used as a form of reward in innumerable RPGs. After you have finished slogging through the wilderness for hours of gameplay, you finally unlock the ultimate form of convenience (which may expand on existing gameplay design space by itself. FF9 does this rather well, actually).

Giving it to the player straight-away ruins a great deal of the immersion; however convenient it is.

But perhaps this new market doesn't want much immersion.
They want combat. Flashy graphics. ACTION. All the time spent in between doing backtracking and legwork is a big no-no in today's design.

Why do you think FF13 was one long hallway when many of its predecessors encouraged exploration? It's getting to the point where unless it's a sandbox game, you have no choice but to employ hallway-logic.

I remember several older titles using "Hub Logic" to great effect.
Gex, Mario, Zelda, System Shock 2...even Shadow of the Colossus.
But I suppose most developers don't have time for that now. It takes too much time and effort to create one hallway segment (complete with eye-candy!) and remain on schedule.

This is the big difference between Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and its two predecessors (Other M is even more linear, different as it is).

: I was only too thrilled to explore the world map in MP1 and 2, while it felt like a chore in Prime 3, because I knew I would have to pass through the 1-2 same exact passages every single time (honey-combing a level with hidden passages and the like was a hall mark of previous Metroid titles, and acted as a form of Fast Travel. This rarely happens at all in Corruption and Other M) because the game was a hallway.

Jesper Christiansen

Sep 1, 2010
Experimental said:
Well, I guess it's a fair reason, personally I enjoyed it a lot, and I wished that Fallout 3 would be exactly that, less the bugs, that is.
I think that New Vegas would have a greater impression on everyone if Fallout 3 didn't exist. Also, a Horse in USA is not an anomaly, why wouldn't they include one? Damn Bethesda.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Horse
it's canon(now decided by bethesda, but earlier by obsidian etc) that horses are extinct. or, at least, they have NEVER been seen in fallout, even when obsidian did the ruling. i like to pretend the deathclaw ate them all. allways got a kind of "dragon" vibe from them

PrometheanFlame

Mar 23, 2009
I couldn't agree more. I remember having a lot of fun in Oblivion just getting from point A to B, and it was so frustrating to walk by what looked like a perfectly intact motorcycle on my way into just about every single town in Fallout (3/NV). Would it really have been so hard for them to add vehicles into the game? Shit, even regular HORSES would've made sense.

Of course, there DOES come a point where the journey becomes tedious because the game doesn't add anything new as you progress, and then you're back to fast-traveling. Sure, it might add in an encounter here and there, but by and large these are unique and quest-related. As far as I'm concerned, if I spend the whole day walking the road between the NCR mojave outpost outside Nipton and the New Vegas Strip, it should never be quite the same as any other time I do it. Granted, I'm not expecting Godzilla to come stomping out of the desert, but there should be SOMETHING. Maybe that's just expecting too much from the technology? Maybe that would add another five years to the development time? I dunno. It's just a pity for a world to feel so full as you stand at a crossroad and know that there's something interesting in every possible direction, yet simultaneously feel so empty and alone as you go there.

I think that New Vegas was better than Fallout 3 in this regard with little touches like roving bands of ants that seemed utterly disinterested in you until you kicked one over and scathing sandstorms that would sweep across ancient lakebeds, but it just wasn't enough. I dunno. Chalk this up as just one more entitled complaint, because I honestly can't wait to see what the new engine makes possible in The Elder Scrolls 5. Attractive people, hopefully, because my bare-titty mod is wasted on the blue-tinted moonfaces of Oblivion and Fallout.

Richioso

Sep 22, 2010
Bollox, Yahtzee you've done it again.

Give us a review or an original thought please, not your new word of the day.

It's been said before and I'll say it again "if you don't want to fast travel don't"

Also the industry is built on sequels, it's been that way since you and I were little boys.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
It's strange how often I watch one of his videos after playing a game I mostly enjoyed and find myself agreeing with his complaints. I just watched the Fallout 3 one, a game I'm currently enjoying, and I find myself thinking that there's far too much content to explore in relation to its story content. While I've finished the main game (only two of the add-ons and three side-missions to go), I've still got a third of the Wasteland to explore and most of Downtown DC. I'm quite literally playing several hours a day just to say I saw it all... and it is starting to wear thin.

And I agree with his complaint about the lack of a fast exploration option. The fast travel system is all well and good, but I think the best fast-travel system is one that you don't want to use 90% of the time. I'm glad I have the indestructible Fawkes & Dogmeat, because fighting those damn Albino Radscorpions every two minutes gets real fucking old, real fucking fast. Running away should always be an option, but some of these enemies move too fast to make that practical.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Phlopsy said:
And the karma system needs some serious work.
Definitely. I was of the mind to pick every lock and hack every computer (and early on, steal absolutely everything to sell), but when it came to story missions, I picked the good path every single time. I didn't go around shooting unfriendly NPCs to steal their loot. I actually felt bad when I opted to kill Dashwood in Tenpenny Tower, but only because I was opting to help the Ghouls to get the mask so I didn't have to fight my way through every damn subway tunnel in the game.

I think they should introduce a more two dimensional system. The X-axis being about evil acts like killing good people are selling people into slavery, while the y-axis is about honesty and generosity. Lock-pick, hack, and steal your way through the game, and your reputation will suffer... perhaps resulting in higher prices at shops to off-set your obvious thieving ways. Also think the consequences for getting caught stealing are a bit too high. Having everyone try to kill you for a failed pick-pocket just leads to save-scumming. Have successful thefts gradually affect your bad reputation (that their store is noticeably lighter after one of your visits should be noted), while getting caught results in a bigger hit. Higher prices in shops or making it harder to succeed on a speech challenge because you're considered dishonest would make more sense then everyone in town trying to kill you.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Ok, I wanted to post something on this game, and looked for ages for a thread to do it in.

I think "Fallout: New Vegas" may be one of my favorite games ever. It's like they took all of my criticisms of "Fallout 3" (STOP ATTACKING ME WITH RADSCORPIONS FOR NO REASON, I JUST WANT TO SEE WHAT INTERESTING STUFF YOUR WORLD HAS GODDAMMIT!) and improved everything that was wrong about it.

- Vastly reduced random encounters, instead replacing them with "scripted" ones where the tough enemies are in hard-to-reach areas with bigger and better loot as a reward; you can avoid those areas at the start of the game when you're a feeble, underpowered novice, and seek them out when you've levelled up and want a decent challenge.

- It's entirely possible to play as a character with almost no levelling of combat skills at the start and not suffer a huge disadvantage. I know, I've done it - poured all my points into stealth, speech, lockpick and survival. And it works.

- Much better story. (Yeah, I know "New Vegas" gets stick for the fact that its character doesn't have an "identity" at the start. But seriously, is that really worse than the horrible vault opening of "Fallout 3"? Yeah, starting with the character's birth was plain awesome, but the vault escape was incredibly badly managed. The overseer could die and you'd get blamed, no matter whether you had anything to do with it or not, for example.) It just feels as though you have more control over what happens.

- The landscape is genuinely varied, more so than "Fallout 3", although I think Washington DC is better portrayed than Las Vegas. Now you have desert mixed with greenery, even snowy hilltops.

- The different "factions" work incredibly well. Why doesn't every role-playing game have this? Seriously? This is how the character encounters in "Fallout 3" SHOULD have worked. I love that you can play two games, and in one game you are friends with a particular faction, in the other you're mortal enemies with them.

- The skills are better balanced from "Fallout 3". Barter, speech, energy weapons and explosives are no longer useless; guns and stealth have been toned down. I love the new "survival" skill.

- The soundtrack incorporates elements of the previous "Fallout" games, but this has always been a weak point in the series. Now, in Fallout: New Vegas, for the first time EVER, it's not.

The sheer variety of the experience reminds me of the first time I played the original "System Shock". Yeah, it's that good. Definitely the best game I've played over the last three or four years.

But the main thing is the random encounters, the soundtrack, and the factions.

All sandbox role-playing games should learn by example of just how good these aspects of Fallout: New Vegas are. It just goes to show that you don't have to stand for being attacked by a f--king RAT every sixty seconds like clockwork because the game deems that you haven't had a "random encounter" for too long.

rocker1600

Sep 24, 2014
Thankfully, FO4 does try to deal with this by letting you ride a Vertibird while using the machine gun like your some retro futuristic Huey gunner from Vietnam.