Fallout New Vegas

Brentpool

Jan 19, 2011
Okay, so I was way late to the Fallout party, but in the long run, I'm glad I eventually got there because it turned out to be a great party with free booze and fast hotties, but I digress...

I love Fallout 3 and its DLC (even though Broken Steel kinda pissed all over the epic, conclusive "Good" ending) but I'm wondering about New Vegas. My roommate basically castrated that game because of some bugs that prevented her from continuing the game or something, and she hasn't touched it since. On top of that, the fact that New Vegas was bugged up the ass upon release isn't really a secret.

So my question is: Is New Vegas worth getting now? Has it been long enough that most of the bugs are fixed?

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Yup most of the bugs have been fixed, though they didn't really ruin the experience unless you were really unlucky. There are two DLC's out with third one coming out soon. and if you can get it cheap get it now!

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Well I'm playing it again now. Most of the game breaking bugs seem to have been dealt with and while the game does still crash regularly I am rather enjoying myself. So yeah, if you enjoyed fallout 3 expect a different experience in the same vein.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
it's been patched enough that it should work fine (do consult the fallout wikia for quests that you should try to avoid, or what you shouldn't do to avoid losing your saves) if you play on the console

if you're playing on the pc you can fix a few things with console commands, which makes it a little easier than working around them

in general, try implementing a two save system (this has worked out pretty well for me so far) where you use 2 saves for one playthrough, and alternate which save you use, and save after an hour or two of play

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
I saw far more glitches in Fallout 3 than I've ever seen in New Vegas. On top of that, it's a proper Fallout sequel in terms of story and setting, and is generally speaking a more well written and choice-driven role playing experience. It's a better game, without any possible argument.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
What platform are you on? I heard it was worse on consoles, PC version is okay. I've had more CTD issues with 3 personally, but I know people have had many issues with New Vegas.

New Vegas was my game of the year last year, I thought it was a great improvement on 3, and I felt that the story and setting was more in line with Fallout. Lots of choice and roleplaying as well, to me it's much more replayable than 3. If you loved 3, I think it's safe to assume you'll at least like New Vegas.

SplashyAxis

May 1, 2010
Yeah it's worth getting. I played it when it first came out and I had to stop due to bugs. I started playing again a few weeks ago and I've barely had any bugs at all. The patches have done a good job so far, for me at least.

Apr 28, 2008
Yes it is. If you get it on the PC, get this mod [http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38326].

Should fix what bugs remain. Well a good chunk of them at least...

BookBeast

Jan 2, 2010
I recently picked up Fallout: New Vegas again after a long hiatus. Yes, it's worth getting, and by now the serious stuff has been patched (although I would still save often and consult the Vault wiki, were I you).

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
FredTheUndead said:
I saw far more glitches in Fallout 3 than I've ever seen in New Vegas. On top of that, it's a proper Fallout sequel in terms of story and setting, and is generally speaking a more well written and choice-driven role playing experience. It's a better game, without any possible argument.
Nah, there are arguments. I disagree with those arguments, but that doesn't invalidate them...most of them, anyway. Some of the arguments are bullshit, but some are decent.

OT: It's a damn good game. I loved 3, but i love NV just a bit more, as i've said time and again. If i wasn't an old-school Fallout fan, though, i might love 3 more than i do NV.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
I've never had any game breaking bugs in FO.
Yes i know that doesnt mean other people havent had them, just sayin i must be jesus or something because the only bugs ive ever experianced where funny ones like deathclaws flying into space

Anyway, yes definatly get NV, its pretty good.. ive spent almost 150 hours playing, and ive not even finished it yet

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Brentpool said:
Okay, so I was way late to the Fallout party, but in the long run, I'm glad I eventually got there because it turned out to be a great party with free booze and fast hotties, but I digress...

I love Fallout 3 and its DLC (even though Broken Steel kinda pissed all over the epic, conclusive "Good" ending) but I'm wondering about New Vegas. My roommate basically castrated that game because of some bugs that prevented her from continuing the game or something, and she hasn't touched it since. On top of that, the fact that New Vegas was bugged up the ass upon release isn't really a secret.

So my question is: Is New Vegas worth getting now? Has it been long enough that most of the bugs are fixed?
be wary of crashes though. save often. that game will seize up at ANY second so if you don't save often you'll often find yourself set back by hours

but otherwise it's awesome, an instabuy

Belgian_Waffles

Jan 24, 2010
The bugs aren't as horrendous as some of the horror stories you may have heard, well for me that is.
One out of ten times my game will crash expectantly but it's not frequent enough to piss me off.
I've fallen through the world once, twas hilarious thank god I saved.

Definitely worth the money, though I might hold off for the inevitable Game of The Year Edition, all of the DLC is quality so I would recommend it if you can't wait.

Aug 1, 2010
It's wonderful.

If you have a decent PC, get it for that as the mods will have you coming back over and over again.

If you don't have a good enough PC, get it for console! Personally, I think it's actually better on console, but I know that's just me.

So, no matter what, buy it.