Fallout: NV.... Something very wrong.

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
The game has so many faults it should be called Fallout San Andreas! But I love it, it froze me out seven times in the ending of the game! It's like having a hormonal girlfriend, you take the rough with the smooth.

To say there is no Lore in N.V. is a pretty ridiculous claim this more than any game has gone back to the classic Lore, it made me feel like I was playing Fallout 2 with a graphics upgrade. I am totally taken by the story, the setting and I generally felt a great deal of sadness when I completed it yesterday.

I am waiting with baited breath for the next one, though to be fair I only stopped playing Fallout 3 because NV came out.

I find something new with every play through!

Oh and can I vote Fallout Trolls are named Super Mutants from now on!

Jellly

Sep 22, 2010
Jazoni89 said:
defiante1 said:
Jazoni89 said:
defiante1 said:
Jazoni89 said:
acidstrider said:
Trolls are out in force today.

So many fallout new vegas troll topics so little time.

If you hate the game so much why not go the Gamefaqs/4chan and rant on about it on there im sure you would be greeted with open arms.
So many fallout trolls... maybe because their not trolls. Just legitimate gammers with valid complaints. Even a fan of this game cant argue its rediculously buggy and poorly tested. For a AAA game its embarrassing.
And it's even more embarrassing how much topic we have about this. Why spend your time ranting on about a game on a forum its just stupid.

If you don't like the game just don't play it Just get my money back or whatever you want to do. Nothing lost nothing gained simple as.
Because its one of the best series of games their breaking just to make some money. Fallout franchise should be handled with respect, not crapped out by some company looking to make some easy money. Their abusing peoples love for the series to wrangle people into buying it. The game is FAMOUSLY buggy, the amount of threads complaining about this arnt trolls their pissed off gammers.

Angers people to see one of their favourte series abused by a company with the time and money to Beta test it and patch it but... could be bothered and shipped it before it was ready. Fallout has normally prided itself on its excellent story and brilliant Roleplay experiance, NV cant even come close to that since the game is too broken to manage it and the story so bland. Rediculous choices like... "Help Ghoul Space explorers, or blow them up!" Be hopelessly nice or evil for no real reason, cant even find enough interesting reasons to track down the killers.

No fallout 3's choices where much more black and white. Haven't you played beyond the beef yet by the looks of things i guess not and this is just one example of a huge amount of choices you can make in fallout new vegas.

(Spoilers)

Okay so in this quest you got to find this man's son and their's a huge problem involving rich people eating humans as a delicacy. When you are in the kitchen (where the sons is kept prisoner you can).

Cook the meal using the ingredients - making a delicious meal of human flesh for your rich guests. You have to persuade The chef to give you the recipe with a barter skill of 55

Improvise the Cooking of the meal - With a survival skill of 75 you can cook the meal without the use of the handbook.

Distract the cook - Using a speech skill of 55 you can tell the cook that their's a rad roach outside the kitchen. This gives you time to rescue the son.

You can also try to kill the cook if you want to.

their's also a option drug the wine using a med-x with a medicine skill of 25 and by doing that it makes your escape with the son much more easier.

No quest in fallout 3 comes anywhere close to that much choices and that's just one quest.
(spoilers)

Actually the quest centered around that place with all the trees with Harold had four (maybe three) possible ways to end it and the quest where you were in the virtual reality and had to kill people/escape had at least 4 ways to go about each kill. Those are just two examples.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
electric discordian said:
Oh and can I vote Fallout Trolls are named Super Mutants from now on!
What about East Coast Super Mutants? Much more suitable.

And yeah the ending for NV was great, much more informative than F3. It explains pretty much what happened to every factions, and every major character and companion in the game. It really makes me want to play again and complete everything as differently as I can.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
This pretty much sums up the whole fallout series. Was taken from the fallout forums on gamefaqs.

Bethesda never changes.

The end of the Fallout series occurred pretty much as we had predicted.

Too many Oblivion fanboys, not enough re-playability or story to go around. The details were trivial and pointless, the reasons, as always, purely marketing ones. The internet was nearly wiped clean of old fanboys.

A great cleansing, an atomic game release struck by Bethesda's hands, quickly raged out of control. Spears of a poorly made sequel rained from the skies. Continents were swallowed in bad products and fell beneath the boiling oceans.

Fallout fans were almost extinguished, their spirits becoming part of the background of Oblivion fanboys that blanketed the internet. A quiet darkness fell across the web, lasting many months. Few survived the devastation. Some had been fortunate enough to reach safety, taking shelter in great fan-made mods, and fansites.

When the great darkness passed, New Vegas was released, and the Fallout 1&2 fans emerged to begin their lives again. One of the Obsidian Entertainment developers claim they are one of the original developers from one such game. They hold that their founder and story writer, one known as the "Chris Avellone," once saved the franchise from a great evil.

According to their legend, this evil arose in the far east, in Maryland, Zenimax. It corrupted all it touched, twisting gamers inside, turning them into Oblivion fanboys. Only through the bravery of this ''Chris Avellone'' was the evil destroyed. But in so doing, he lost many of his friends and suffered greatly, sacrificing much of himself to save the gaming industry.

When at last he returned to the company he had fought so hard to evolve, he was criticized. Flamed. In confronting that which they feared, he had become something else in their eyes...and no longer their champion. Forsaken by his fans, he strode into the wasteland. He had many interviews, until he came to one of the fansites. There, he founded a small community, NMA, where he lived out the rest of his years. And so, for a generation since its founding, NMA has lived in peace, its forums sheltering it from the outside Internet. It is home. Our home. But the scars left by Bethesda have not yet healed. And the fans have not forgotten.

acidstrider

Mar 10, 2010
If you enjoyed the game that's fine, I have no problem with that, we all enjoy our own past times. But do not try to defend the game like it is flawless. The game is buggy, it is smaller, you can't, "Slim a game down, and make it taller." without dropping things. The game is broken, many many people have noticed so. Heck already Fallout new vegas has become a huge joke about the game crashing, some of which you can even find on the escapist.

And as a side note, Jazoni89 I did do that quest its just that the game bugged, so I couldn't finish it, I became forced to kill everyone in my way.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
I don't mind the smaller map, as it has far more content than Fallout 3.
It also has far less copy-pasted areas like both Oblivion and Fallout 3 had and it seems less random where you find certain enemies.

I find the quests more interesting, as you have a good deal more choices and I like that you have to dig in to really comprehend what your options are.

I also find the main quest LESS linear, where you now have several multiple choices during the main quest line, that defines what will happen later on, opposed to Fallout 3... Where your choice meant squat.

Edit: And about the bugs, I was playing it on the 360, and rarely noticed any.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Not really linear at all... I've only been hindered once by hard mobs and those were the fucking Cazadors when I tried trekking up a mountain. I bagged me a Deathclaw quite early on actually, I find Cazadors far worse cause the motherfuckers are fast, small and travel in large packs. Did you pick up the companions though? Cause the game expects you to have 1-2, it's a lot harder on your own.

Anyway, the game's very open and once you level up a bit, you can go anywhere. Granted it does have a touch of linearity that wasn't there for Fallout 3/Oblivion/Morrowind and that's that some mountains/rocks are unscalable... I find this annoying when the quest objective is right around the corner but it turns into a huge detour to actually get there (though these situations are quite rare, only had one so far and I'm almost done with the game).

Whole place not available at the start of the game though? That's not linear gameplay, that's called room for progression, if there aren't any zones with harder mobs, what the hell would the leveling be for?

I got to Vegas quite early on as well, just follow the road. And also, no, following the road being easier isn't forcing you into linear gameplay, it's just common sense that the roads are safer, the same can be applied to WoW for example and I doubt you'd call that world linear.

Overall, I'm enjoying the game. I'm done with most stuff and finally got to the point where I'm ditching all the companions and going solo through the Wasteland. One thing that's a bit annoying is that it's hard to carry all the crap I come across on my own, but with Strong Back, Strength Implant and Pack Rat, it's not too bad, can carry an extra 100 pounds of equipment aside from what I have on me (hardcore mode, so ammo with weight + a supply of food/water take up a bit of space too).

I do agree the game could use more content however. Somewhat bigger map and more quests would certainly be appreciated, to have stuff to do once you reach the maximum level. But the game has more than enough content to justify it's price, I wouldn't mind at all if they offered a (good) DLC for it with extra stuff to do, like Broken Steel. Would slap them for the whole "can't continue game after the final quest" though, but hey, at least they had the decency to tell you about it. In Fallout 3, I finished the main quest and was completely stupefied that I couldn't continue on and finish off all the little quests I left behind.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Jellly said:
(spoilers)

Actually the quest centered around that place with all the trees with Harold had four (maybe three) possible ways to end it and the quest where you were in the virtual reality and had to kill people/escape had at least 4 ways to go about each kill. Those are just two examples.
Yet they all ended with the exact same immediate outcome. Except for the one where Harold lives, which is pointless anyway as he's stuck there forever thanks to Bethesda. What's the point of choice if the result is the same, exceot for just some reward.

And with the Tranquility Lane quest, it still boils down to black and white choices.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
defiante1 said:
The game itself is only 6GB's which is half the size of Fallout 3. The game is essentially one big copy and paste, many of the textures and and environments reused. The vault you find in New Vegas is such a clear copy and paste its laughable and the world is tiny, and not even a sandbox.
Well, Fallout 3 was about 5,5 GB, which is less than New Vegas (6GB).

Of course, there are the mods and the DLC's, but they'd have to occupy about 6,5 GBs of HD space for the game to be twice as large as New Vegas.

And the world isn't "tiny" - it's smaller than Fallout 3 (but still quite large), but it has more depth (this is what I thought Oblivion and Fallout 3 lacked).

I don't really care that they've reused some of the textures, though you are totally allowed to make criticism from it. I don't really care about this myself, and it may have helped them to make the game better (by reducing work and costs).

Plus, many probably don't ignore the flaws - I just think the good parts overwhelm the bad ones.

But whatever, you can dislike it in peace if you don't like it. It's not that kind of a big deal.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
acidstrider said:
Dexiro said:
Someone sounds butthurt. Tell me how this game would work as an expansion pack :/
How would it not? You install it, you play it. Suddenly a quest is added to deliver a package to New Vegas and...voila! Fallout 3 New Vegas.
defiante1 said:
Dexiro said:
Someone sounds butthurt. Tell me how this game would work as an expansion pack :/
"You receive a letter telling you that the shinning city of new vegas is open for business! Perhaps you can find more work over there. Go see the Brotherhood of Steel about it, rumour is their looking for someone to carry a package over there. Could you be your ticket to brighter places!" Pick up quest to go to New Vegas, get on a boat like you do Lookout Point DLC and load up in New Vegas... only to get shot.

Not only would that give the game more gravitas but also more credibility since you would actually care about your character and what you were transporting.
smart...

tell me, when was the last time you played an expansion pack which was just as big as the original game, if not bigger, and took years to develop...

and whoever said it can be completed in a day is talking total bullshit sorry :p

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Andantil said:
Fallout 2 was essentially fallout with new guns, new places, a new story, and a few new textures, yet it is said by many to be one of the best RPGs ever made.

So if New Vegas does to Fallout 3 what Fallout 2 did to Fallout it isn't acceptable?

Edit:Oh, and I haven't experienced any major bugs at all save for crashing twice out of about 150 hours of gameplay. Good to be a member of the PC gamer master race.
HAR!!! Listen to the foolishness of the raving bourgeoisie and all of his pitiful ramblings (not conserning Fallout, those are valid). I speak, of course, of this delusion of grandeur of the PC "master" race. Your empire crumbles before the power of the concole proletariat and there is nothing you can do to stop us, HAR HAR HAR HAR!!!

As for Fallout, I enjoy the game enough to ignore most of the giant ants who have mastered the ability to walk on their faces, the freezing/crashing on the other hand however is UNBELIEVABLY annoying, especially when I have not saved in half an hour (I hate wasting my time) but its only happened twice or so, in 25 hours of game play, so its not to bad.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Trotgar said:
And the world isn't "tiny" - it's smaller than Fallout 3 (but still quite large), but it has more depth (this is what I thought Oblivion and Fallout 3 lacked).
Actually, and Obsidian even confirmed this, the map is not smaller than Fallout 3's. It is skinnier, but much more taller. So it's kinda hard to compare them.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
Jazoni89 said:
No fallout 3's choices where much more black and white. Haven't you played beyond the beef yet by the looks of things i guess not and this is just one example of a huge amount of choices you can make in fallout new vegas.

(Spoilers)

Okay so in this quest you got to find this man's son and their's a huge problem involving rich people eating humans as a delicacy. When you are in the kitchen (where the sons is kept prisoner you can).

Cook the meal using the ingredients - making a delicious meal of human flesh for your rich guests. You have to persuade The chef to give you the recipe with a barter skill of 55

Improvise the Cooking of the meal - With a survival skill of 75 you can cook the meal without the use of the handbook.

Distract the cook - Using a speech skill of 55 you can tell the cook that their's a rad roach outside the kitchen. This gives you time to rescue the son.

their's also a option drug the wine using a med-x with a medicine skill of 25 and by doing that it makes your escape with the son much more easier.

No quest in fallout 3 comes anywhere close to that much choices and that's just one quest.
Ahhhhh, Beyond the Beef, what a great quest that was. I agree completely, it had so many choices, consequences, paths to follow and it had a nice backstory.

Look at F3.
Blow up Megaton/Save Megaton
Turn in Harkness/Don't turn in Harkness
Blow up Citadal/Blow up Mobile Base Crawler
Turn in Slaves/Capture slaves
Save purifier/contaminate purfier

Black and white.
Revise your arguement. Jazoni focused on HOW the quests are carried out, not their end result (save/condemn). Between FO3 and NW they can't be compared in the black & white ratio, since NW has a faction based system, and Fallout 3 don't (Which means the quests have little to no consquences).

If you believe the lack of depth in the quests is a problem (IE the execution), I'll refer you to:
Paradise Falls (general quest regarding area) , Big Trouble in Big Town, Oasis, Blood ties (holds a lot of approaches to get Ian(?) back home)

That's only the ones I can think of now.

OT: MY opinion on NW, is that it has the same problems that Fallout 3 had: It's fun (sure it is), but it's a cold fun. Not a waving experience, that makes you think or feel important like, for example, Dragon Age did.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Rarhnor said:
ChupathingyX said:
Jazoni89 said:

(Spoilers)

Ahhhhh, Beyond the Beef, what a great quest that was. I agree completely, it had so many choices, consequences, paths to follow and it had a nice backstory.

Look at F3.
Blow up Megaton/Save Megaton
Turn in Harkness/Don't turn in Harkness
Blow up Citadal/Blow up Mobile Base Crawler
Turn in Slaves/Capture slaves
Save purifier/contaminate purfier

Black and white.
Revise your arguement. Jazoni focused on HOW the quests are carried out, not their end result (save/condemn). Between FO3 and NW they can't be compared in the black & white ratio, since NW has a faction based system, and Fallout 3 don't (Which means the quests have little to no consquences).

If you believe the lack of depth in the quests is a problem (IE the execution), I'll refer you to:
Paradise Falls (general quest regarding area) , Big Trouble in Big Town, Oasis, Blood ties (holds a lot of approaches to get Ian(?) back home)

OT: MY opinion on NW, is that it has the same problems that Fallout 3 had: It's fun (sure it is), but it's a cold fun. Not a waving experience, that makes you think or feel important like, for example, Dragon Age did.
Sorry i forgot to add the fact that you can bring his son to him or frame him for murder.

deonte9109

Sep 8, 2010
not this thread again
OT: In this day and age it is increasingly becoming harder to make fresher, more innovative games. That is one of the reasons why FPS are so popular now that the industry is becoming oversaturated. You claim that NV was a copy of Fallout 3 but Fallout 2 was a copy of the original Fallout based on your definition. At the end of the day all that really matters is do you enjoy the game. If not then oh well return the gtame if you can and get your money back otherwise dont say anything.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Understand that this is a game using the same engine as Fallout 3. Like previous games using the same engine, like say the "Infinity Engine" games, a lot of material is indeed being recycled between them. I really don't "get" the complaints here. Sequels are not supposed to play like entirely differant games. If it's not broke, it doesn't need to be fixed so to speak. The engine and such is just fine, the bugs however given the fact that they are using the same enginer as "Oblivion" and "Fallout 3" are even more inexcusable than normal.

I'll also say that the complaints I hear about "New Vegas" on this level are very similar to people complaining that "Fallout 3" was "Oblivion With Guns".

*THAT* said New Vegas added a lot of things to the game, and was a lot deeper in what they did with the engine than "Fallout 3" was. The quests are considerably more varied.

As far as the high powered mobs, consider that this is what happens when you create a game that is free form, and your not using level scaling (which is a greater evil). I'll also say that people who are complaining about what can happen if you say head north from Goodsprings are also arguably not the target audience for a game like this.

Let me be blunt, the Cazador groups up there are pretty tough, but they ARE beatable even if it is liable to take some saving and reloading. You can pull the ones on the road back one at a time, and kill them with *relative" ease if you want to progress in that direction. Going that way simply involves fighting higher level monsters with a lower level character, which is tricky (but doable) in any RPG. It also tends to require very specific kinds of character builds.

-

One of the best ways of being able to pull this off is to head to the NCR prison your referred to from Goodsprings. Kill everyone in there which should be *fairly* easy even if you don't have a quest and grab everything that isn't nailed down. You should wind up with some 9mm SMGs, a Plasma Pistol, and some other goodies.

If you don't mind heading to Primm first you can steal NCR armor from chests inside the tent, and if you get the NCR to assault the prison you can hang back and let them do the fighting and then loot the armor and service rifles from those that die, and then repair the stuff up to get it in good condition.

Another trick is to make sure you have a shovel, tagged stealth skill, and/or a Stealth Boy (several in Goodsprings). Then creep down the north road and before you get to the intersection (where left lead to the destroyed tribal village) there is a hidden path to the left (same direction as to the village) that leads to a grave where "Chance's Knife" is buried. Those of you who got the collector's edition of New Vegas and read the comic will know who Chance was.

At any rate if your a specialized melee character, Chance's Knife is decent for Cazadors. Truthfully I always take damage but I find melee weapons to be the best way to deal with them ironically. The Axe Knock-Knock (which you'll find much later) is my Anti-Cazador weapon of choice. Also Veronica seems to tear them up far better than the ranged combat companions (but again she's in another fairly remote area to where you start).

The point here is that it can be done. The game doesn't "stonewall" you no matter what guys like Yahtzee imply. It's simply a much, much harder path. Like most RPGs differant kinds of characters have to do differant things. A very specialized character, a very patient player (who is willing to play the RNG and save/reload for the combat) or someone who is experienced and knows the area from multiple playthroughs, can all head off in that direction successfully.

The thing is that a lot of players expect to be handed victory, and assume anything difficult means they are being railroaded. Just because there is a path of least resistance doesn't mean it's literally the only option.

It's sort of like some people complaining about the cost of the implants. Even with low barter skill it's relatively easy to kill Fiends and similar armed enemies, repair their items together, and then sell things like RCW Lasers for hundreds or thousands of caps depending on skill. In some areas they even repopulate, so you can rest somewhere, wait for them to come back, and repete. Generally speaking though if your smart about repairing and selling weapons chances are you aren't even going to need to farm. Look at the values and how they increase as you repair items.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Rarhnor said:
Between FO3 and NW they can't be compared in the black & white ratio, since NW has a faction based system, and Fallout 3 don't (Which means the quests have little to no consquences).

But that's the point, Fallout 3 didn't have a faction system or reputation system, somethign that worked very well in previous games. How does not having a faction system justify Fallout 3's lack of consequences?

Paradise Falls - Seems black and white to me, either capture slaves, or free them.
Big Trouble in Big Town - The rewards are all the same and the consequences don't change much.
Oasis - Why did they have to kill off Harold? Plus none of the choices have an effect except killing him.
Blood Ties - Black and white, save Ian or kill all the Family. Although yes Blood Ties was one of the very few quests that allowed multiple ways to achieve the goal at hand.

OK, that's your opinion, but Dragon Age is a fantasy, fantasies always involve things like Dark lordsa and magical powers. Fallout is suppossed to present a massive scenario and what might happen afterwards, and you play a part in the reconstruction of humanity with Hoover Dam and the fate of New Vegas and the Mojave region. Also I'm not sure if you're aware but the NCR is pretty big and have quite an influence on the fate of America and mankind in general.

Jellly

Sep 22, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
Jellly said:
(spoilers)

Yet they all ended with the exact same immediate outcome. Except for the one where Harold lives, which is pointless anyway as he's stuck there forever thanks to Bethesda. What's the point of choice if the result is the same, exceot for just some reward.

And with the Tranquility Lane quest, it still boils down to black and white choices.
Hmm, maybe not the EXACT same oucomes, but I admit they are quite similar.
And I agree they are quite black/white, but most games with 'morality' recently have the same thing going. You're either a living Saint or the Devil himself. :/ Haven't played NV so unsure if this is this case, but i've heard that actions have effects on groups of people instead of affecting a 'morality' meter.

Lerasai

Aug 14, 2010
I'm enjoying it, but I do wish they would have fleshed out the PC's backstory a bit more. I mean, (I could be wrong, but) isn't the courier supposed to be from the area? And no one knows them and they seem to have no idea how things work around there? I guess your character could be an extremely anti-social person with a forgettable face and possibly brain damage, but I don't play an rpg to play as myself.

defiante1

Nov 9, 2010
New Vegas though is a great example of rail roading in a sandbox. You have to progress from each town in a strict order, trying to sneak past means you encounter Deathclaw packs that are near immortal or other crazy stuff to kill you and herd you back.

Yes you can figure a way out past those things... but it breaks the game. Since you dont hit the proper main quest triggers in each town in the correct order, it can lead to the game skipping whole sections. Its terrible programming and design flaws, which is made worse because this isnt a new game. They copy and pasted the design system and graphics from fallout 3, it should be perfect not dying.

Many many examples of how you can break it, Yahtzee's video is a classic example of how he essentially cheated to get into New Vegas and got 0 Karma change for stealing all that money because its assumed he will pay it back. The game is full of such loop holes but they all come with a price of breaking the intended path the designers choose and expoliting flawed game mechanics.

Its funny actually that people bring up the cannibal quest, while you can stop the cannibals... you cant report it to their leader who is against cannibalism. Only your current boss. A stupid oversight and an immersion breaking one.

I keep seeing people saying this game shouldnt be over critqued and its just for fun, like thats some sacred defense. It isnt, and it is not a valid one when it comes to RPG's. RPGs need to pull you in with a good story and great immersion to draw you in a world thats believable and realistic within its rules. While humour is nice to break the tension, it cant ever destroy the realism or its counter productive and makes the game a poor action adventure instead.

Pure fun games like Overlord and Saints Row 1&2 are examples of games to mess around on and that dont encourage the player to take them seriously.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 both suffered from immersion breaking bugs and poor quest triggers. With New Vegas it isnt even excusable anymore, their just copy and pasting the same system into the games and making no effort to improve it. What worked in oblivions day barely worked in Fallout 3 and is laughable now with New Vegas. Its shoddy, lazy work to save money.

Lerasai said:
I'm enjoying it, but I do wish they would have fleshed out the PC's backstory a bit more. I mean, (I could be wrong, but) isn't the courier supposed to be from the area? And no one knows them and they seem to have no idea how things work around there? I guess your character could be an extremely anti-social person with a forgettable face and possibly brain damage, but I don't play an rpg to play as myself.
Valid point, fine example of how shallow the story is and how it would of worked so much better as an expansion but... that wouldnt of made as much money. So pad it out and resell it for full price, people love Fallout so they will ignore this fact.