Family of "Wee for Wii" Victim Awarded $16m

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Kross said:
Marq said:
Should've diluted the water with beer.
Or Brawndo. (Thank Yahtzee for watching this in the office and reminding us about our ELECTROLYTES)

That was interesting ad. Oh and both sides are at fault because the mother isn't careful and the people who hosted this event.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Why the fuck didn't the station have a waver saying "We are not responsible for any bodily harm that may or may not happen from this contest" so they could cover their ass in case something like this happened? Now because of that a woman is dead (Although I don't feel much pity for her) and ten people are out of a job. Idiots on both sides.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I want to blame the mother, but she probably didn't think she would die from it. I'll just go with blaming the people that hosted the show because they at least should have known the risks involved.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Radio stations need to stop underestimating the power of materialism. They seem to constantly be in the news for contests that didn't go as planned.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
SantoUno said:
WOw that is...idk whether to blame the mother for being so stupid over a pathetic excuse for a console or the people who held the contest.

Blame the radio hosts. They got a call from a nurse warning them about the dangers of this contest and still held it anyways.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
lwm3398 said:
Water... Poisoning? What is that and how does someone go about getting it?
By drinking too much water. Your cells will try to take in the fresh water to equalize the molarity of a certain substance inside to cells to the surrounding environment. This causes your cells to take in too much water for them to hold, causing them to lyse, or burst.
So, basically, water causes you to explode.

Why don't suicide bombers just drink a lot and then run in to a building?

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
A ridiculous competition and a sad loss, both parties are to blame, although the Radio station more so if they did not give any warnings as to the consequences of participating but that being said this competition should never have been authorized.

Something that should be noted is that a lot of people are not aware that you can get water poisoning.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
The family does not deserve any money. In no way is it the fault of the radio station, the woman was 28 and had 3 kids, she was a grown adult and made a grown decision.

Fuck frivolious lawsuits.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
ginty2 said:
so the family gets a big payday because of her stupidity. how wonderful.
They also get a dead mother. How wonderful.

Think before you post.

It is hard to put a price tag on something intangible like the love people share between each other. Moments that will be missing from the remaining family members lives due to her death. It was tragic, and maybe she could have just given up and peed, but really any of you ever actually been over hydrated, you wouldn't really realized it until to late.

The radio station needs to accept its part of this. And they will to the tune of $16 million. The employees did at the cost of their jobs.

Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Radio stations need to stop underestimating the power of materialism. They seem to constantly be in the news for contests that didn't go as planned.
You are right. The one I never through should have gone to court was the practical joke one where they led on that they where giving away a hummer. Only to have the winner show up to claim a radio controlled toy. Should have just been a "haha, you got me, I guess I will give this to my son," moment. Not a sue the radio station for damages and money to go buy a hummer.

Edit: Seems a large number of people think this was totally the fault of the Mother making bad decisions. I have to ask how many of you thinking that actually knew you could die from drinking to much water before you heard about this.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
lwm3398 said:
Heart of Darkness said:
lwm3398 said:
Water... Poisoning? What is that and how does someone go about getting it?
By drinking too much water. Your cells will try to take in the fresh water to equalize the molarity of a certain substance inside to cells to the surrounding environment. This causes your cells to take in too much water for them to hold, causing them to lyse, or burst.
So, basically, water causes you to explode.

Why don't suicide bombers just drink a lot and then run in to a building?
Not quite. Your cells burst, but your body won't. Your body just gets sick and dies.

I still wonder why we don't have spontaneously combusting suicide bombers yet. That would be very exciting and dangerous.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
Not quite. Your cells burst, but your body won't. Your body just gets sick and dies.

I still wonder why we don't have spontaneously combusting suicide bombers yet. That would be very exciting and dangerous.
What I just put there was a little something known as sarcasm.

I knew you wouldn't 'Explode', but the whole bursting thing just gave me the idea.

And why don't they just combust?

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
manaman said:
ginty2 said:
so the family gets a big payday because of her stupidity. how wonderful.
They also get a dead mother. How wonderful.

Think before you post.

It is hard to put a price tag on something intangible like the love people share between each other. Moments that will be missing from the remaining family members lives due to her death. It was tragic, and maybe she could have just given up and peed, but really any of you ever actually been over hydrated, you wouldn't really realized it until to late.

The radio station needs to accept its part of this. And they will to the tune of $16 million. The employees did at the cost of their jobs.

Seems a large number of people think this was totally the fault of the Mother making bad decisions. I have to ask how many of you thinking that actually knew you could die from drinking to much water before you heard about this.
Yeah, and nothing replaces the loss of a loved one like millions and millions of dollars. And even if you had never heard of water poisoning(I have btw), any person with a brain would know that too much of anything(including water, it's called drowning) is bad for your body.

No, it is entirely the mother's fault. In no way is the radio station responsible for her death. I have no sympathy for people doing dumb things that get them or others killed due to their negligence and lack of critical thinking skills. Usually it has to do with parents who let their kids do dumb things and the kid dies, but this is just as retarded.

Dan Shive

Jun 9, 2008
Most people don't know you can die from drinking too much water. It seems counter-intuitive. At worse, I suspect most would assume risk to the kidneys from holding it in for too long. That too can be a big, fatal problem if kidney failure were to occur, but I sincerely doubt your average person would be worried about dying from cells bursting.

Ignorance, yes, but it's an obscure fact until something like this draws attention to it, and by then someone has already died.

Sevre90210 said:
And the winner survives HOW?
Different body, different consequences. They may have been bigger, started out more dehydrated... any number of x factors could explain why this woman died and the others lived.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
JaredXE said:
The family does not deserve any money. In no way is it the fault of the radio station, the woman was 28 and had 3 kids, she was a grown adult and made a grown decision.

Fuck frivolious lawsuits.
True, but the grown adults at the Radios Station also made a grown decision; one that, to be honest, was very stupid. Normally I would say the victim was at fault, but the fact that the radio hosted a competition without doing an research into whether drinking potentially fatal amounts of water is dangerous puts the blame on them in my opinion.

Whether it was worth $16 million however, I do not know.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
lwm3398 said:
Heart of Darkness said:

What I just put there was a little something known as sarcasm.

I knew you wouldn't 'Explode', but the whole bursting thing just gave me the idea.

And why don't they just combust?
Yes, I know that. However, the Internet is a bad medium for conveying sarcasm.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Pretty silly idea for a radio competition, mind you why couldn't they have just done an old "Whirl 'til you hurl" rollercoaster marathon competition to see who gets the console.