Family of "Wee for Wii" Victim Awarded $16m

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
Yes, I know that. However, the Internet is a bad medium for conveying sarcasm.
Yeah, I'll give you that. But who's gonna put /sarcasm after everything?

Not this lazy bastard.

Aunel

May 9, 2008
you can buy a wii for that money...

although I fully sympathize for the family.

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
lwm3398 said:
Water... Poisoning? What is that and how does someone go about getting it?
IIRC, water can dilute the electrons (at least I think it was electrons) of your body, pretty much causing you to shut down for good. As you might expect, it takes a large quantity of water to get the diluting effect.

morpher80

Nov 11, 2007
Well its obviouse that the radio station didnt look into the bio part of drinking to much water and what it could do to your body and the cells like kill you by over hydration. Some people are just dum

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
lwm3398 said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Yes, I know that. However, the Internet is a bad medium for conveying sarcasm.
Yeah, I'll give you that. But who's gonna put /sarcasm after everything?

Not this lazy bastard.
Yes. But your cells are still technically exploding. "Explosion" does not necessarily mean "violent" nor "fiery."

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Wow, that's really tragic in a strange kind of way. What a horrible way to die, must be a nightmare for the family. I really didn't know something like this could happen when you drink too much water, well now I know. GGGGGG IIIII JOOOEEEEE!

What's up with everyone insulting the woman? I mean I can get behind calling robbers with marker on their face idiots but this is a little above that.

On a slightly less serious note: If she managed to drink 7.5 litres and was only 2nd place...how many people pissed their pants in the radio station during the contest? Cleaning ladies should be filing the charges here.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Most people don't know there is such a thing as water intoxication. I don't think the family could have gotten the 34 mil but I'm sure they could have got 20.

Either way; no amount of money can return those kids mom.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Not many people know that drinking to much water can kill you. When a radio show hosts a contest, most people assume that it has to be safe (otherwise terrible things like this happen). The mother simply didn't know about water poisoning. So when she heard about this contest, she participated in it to get something nice for her family.

She wasn't stupid, she was just ignorant. This really isn't her fault.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I was not aware that one could die by Water Intoxication. *Writes it down on a sheet of paper and hands to an imp* Go try this on the prisoners.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
That was a bad idea and an even worse idea to participate. I guess they deserve the money but that's not to say that the mother isn't partly to blame. I feel pretty bad for them, but it was just a series of stupid ideas.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
thats stupid she decided to do something stupid for a wii even when she could feel something reallly bad was happening

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Don't be so quick to judge, my fellow Escapist. I bet even the smartest of us have been willing to do things way more dangerous for a console. She was doing something for her family and I probably would have entered the competition if I had been given the chance.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
This is why a lot of radio stations pull the "We cannot be held responsible for any harm that befalls you while participating in this competition." I don't know if that is considered binding, but they could find a way.

This whole contest was a bad idea from both parties though. It should have been obvious to the radio station that holding your urine for an extended period of time could have serious health hazards attached to it. Also, what kind of grown adult participates in this when they should well know the problem with participating?

chomp.

Dec 19, 2008
Signa said:
If you can't do it and stay alive, then just gracefully lose. If you find yourself pushing yourself beyond your limits, and overriding your natural sense of preservation, then you don't deserve to live.
she didn't know it was going to kill her, obviously. She felt ill after she drank the water, and even then, i doubt she knew it was going to kill her.