Famous, centuries old Sycamore tree chopped down by a brat.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Take the wood of the old tree and use it to create a nearby artwork to commemorate the old tree.
They should certainly do something with it, though AFAIK sycamore isn't viable for external use so it can't be too close by. I believe they're hoping the stump will sprout new growth.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
They should certainly do something with it, though AFAIK sycamore isn't viable for external use so it can't be too close by. I believe they're hoping the stump will sprout new growth.
Can it? From what I've read, stumps can regrow but they need to be with other trees of their kind that would provide the nutrients to keep the felled tree alive

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
You're thinking of baby birds I think.
No, no. Trees do that. Or at least, trees that congregate in groups. Read 'The Hidden Life of Trees' by Peter Wohlleben, it's fascinating stuff. Trees also communicate with each other, in Africa, trees will release warnings to other trees when a giraffe starts eating their leaves so others in the area know to let out unpleasant tastes to deter them.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Sucks to be that reckless dumbass. What do he think was going to happen? That he would get a medal? His life is basically over.
Actually, considering his age, they will probably keep his identity hidden and he will just get a fine or something.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Honestly, because I don't think kids thinks things all the way through from A to B. It's been a long time since I was a kid, but I think I just sort of did stuff without thinking about what came next (I did not own a chainsaw though). Anyway, rumour is that it was a revenge felling.
I am now imagining ideas of how that tree victimised him to merit his revenge.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I am now imagining ideas of how that tree victimised him to merit his revenge.
It's National Trust land, and the National Trust is a landlord that sometimes evicts tenants (is how it was told to me).

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Actually, considering his age, they will probably keep his identity hidden and he will just get a fine or something.
For his sake and of whatever relatives he has, I hope so.
And here's where the "fed up" in me wants harsher judgement. He wanted to harm the public, so let his name be public; it's clearly the attention he wanted, so give it to him, and let him feel it. Hopefully for him, it'll be as fun as chopping down that tree.

I don't know who of you has ever chopped down a tree, but it requires a level of planning and pre-thought that can't be dismissed as adolescent impulse. I WANT him to forever be that guy that chopped down an historic tree for lolz so that as age distances him from this "grand" idea, he's able to appreciate it for how stupid, pointless, hateful, and hurtful his actions were. Maybe in his 30s, when this incident is out of the immediacy of tomorrow, he can apply for a job at a McDonald's, get it, and be thankful that the thoughtlessness of his youth has ceased to haunt him for a while.

I'd also like for it to serve as a lesson for any other youths (or anyone, really) sitting on a stupidly nonsensical plan to affect society, that it's not tolerated. When you ruin us, we will ruin you. Repercussions. Consequences. If it's a fine, ok, but make it financially crippling. Put his ass deep in debt before he's old enough to have credit score. Personally, I'd like to see some prison time. Nothing too severe, maybe 6 months, just enough for him to miss homecooked meals and spend his every waking hour with REAL criminals to appreciate that whatever statement he was making chopping that tree down pales in comparison to the REAL evil shit people are capable of. Spend a couple of months being forced to poop in the opposite direction, and watch how quick he joins Greenpeace when he gets out. (Okay, that last part is a bit harsh.)

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
And here's where the "fed up" in me wants harsher judgement. He wanted to harm the public, so let his name be public; it's clearly the attention he wanted, so give it to him, and let him feel it. Hopefully for him, it'll be as fun as chopping down that tree.

I don't know who of you has ever chopped down a tree, but it requires a level of planning and pre-thought that can't be dismissed as adolescent impulse. I WANT him to forever be that guy that chopped down an historic tree for lolz so that as age distances him from this "grand" idea, he's able to appreciate it for how stupid, pointless, hateful, and hurtful his actions were. Maybe in his 30s, when this incident is out of the immediacy of tomorrow, he can apply for a job at a McDonald's, get it, and be thankful that the thoughtlessness of his youth has ceased to haunt him for a while.

I'd also like for it to serve as a lesson for any other youths (or anyone, really) sitting on a stupidly nonsensical plan to affect society, that it's not tolerated. When you ruin us, we will ruin you. Repercussions. Consequences. If it's a fine, ok, but make it financially crippling. Put his ass deep in debt before he's old enough to have credit score. Personally, I'd like to see some prison time. Nothing too severe, maybe 6 months, just enough for him to miss homecooked meals and spend his every waking hour with REAL criminals to appreciate that whatever statement he was making chopping that tree down pales in comparison to the REAL evil shit people are capable of. Spend a couple of months being forced to poop in the opposite direction, and watch how quick he joins Greenpeace when he gets out. (Okay, that last part is a bit harsh.)
I think in all likelihood he's taking the fall for someone else who's old enough to receive real punishment. You're right that it takes a lot of planning and effort to take a tree down, and I reckon this kid is probably involved but not necessarily the primary driver of it. The only realistic way to get to the tree with a chainsaw is by car, then a 20 minute walk, and 16-year-olds can't legally drive here. And it's not a small tree, so it's a big chainsaw required, and it was done in the dark -- that's someone with experience and proper cutting gear I think.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Don't get me wrong, I have no sympathies for the idiot. Whatever punishment he gets, he gets, but I just hope they don't go overboard on the punishment, nor try to punish his relatives or friends around them. Guilt by association and all that jazz.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I think in all likelihood he's taking the fall for someone else who's old enough to receive real punishment. You're right that it takes a lot of planning and effort to take a tree down, and I reckon this kid is probably involved but not necessarily the primary driver of it. The only realistic way to get to the tree with a chainsaw is by car, then a 20 minute walk, and 16-year-olds can't legally drive here. And it's not a small tree, so it's a big chainsaw required, and it was done in the dark -- that's someone with experience and proper cutting gear I think.
Even more reason to throw the book at him. Scare his accomplices out in a coerced confession, then spread the wealth of punishment amongst the lot.

Don't get me wrong, I have no sympathies for the idiot. Whatever punishment he gets, he gets, but I just hope they don't go overboard on the punishment, nor try to punish his relatives or friends around them. Guilt by association and all that jazz.
Legal guilt by association is only applicable if anyone was actually associated with the crime he committed, i.e.: John Wayne Gacy's mom wasn't an accessory to his crimes by way of having birthed him. Any ire anyone related this self-made "Paul Bunyan" might receive from the local/international community rests solely on that man's (I refuse to call him a "kid") shoulders, and would only serve to further shame him for what he's done. But as @Baffle has pointed out, he's not likely to have done this alone, and if that's the case, he and everyone involved should still be publicly named and live with it for as long as anyone who cares is alive to care about it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Legal guilt by association is only applicable if anyone was actually associated with the crime he committed, i.e.: John Wayne Gacy's mom wasn't an accessory to his crimes by way of having birthed him. Any ire anyone related this self-made "Paul Bunyan" might receive from the local/international community rests solely on that man's (I refuse to call him a "kid") shoulders, and would only serve to further shame him for what he's done. But as @Baffle has pointed out, he's not likely to have done this alone, and if that's the case, he and everyone involved should still be publicly named and live with it for as long as anyone who cares is alive to care about it.
Note how I never said possible accomplices. Also, I just read @Baffle's post, just after posting my response. Obviously it took more than one person to do that.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
It's National Trust land, and the National Trust is a landlord that sometimes evicts tenants (is how it was told to me).
Sure, and so they punished... a tree. And through that all the public who liked that tree. The total effect on the NT approximates to sod all.

Not, I fear, a well thought through revenge plan. He'd have done better throwing rocks through an old mansion's historic windows.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Fear is not a very good deterrent for crime. If people are going to commit a crime, very few if any of them will be persuaded not to because of how badly they might be punished. Otherwise, states that still use the death penalty would have lower crime rates, but that isn't the case.

Legal punishment should be done to rehabilitate if possible, or for general public safety if rehabilitation is not an option. It shouldn't be used as a fear-mongering tactic. This teen should definitely face legal consequences, but it should be because he did wrong, and needs to face consequences, not to serve as a warning.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Fear is not a very good deterrent for crime. If people are going to commit a crime, very few if any of them will be persuaded not to because of how badly they might be punished. Otherwise, states that still use the death penalty would have lower crime rates, but that isn't the case.
Fear can be a deterrent to crime. However, it's the fear of getting caught rather than the punishment that is the deterrent.

After all, as we can all imagine, relatively few people commit a crime thinking "Mm, the cops are surely going to nail me if I do this".

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Sure, and so they punished... a tree. And through that all the public who liked that tree. The total effect on the NT approximates to sod all.

Not, I fear, a well thought through revenge plan. He'd have done better throwing rocks through an old mansion's historic windows.
Oh, I don't think we're dealing with Einstein here!