Famous, centuries old Sycamore tree chopped down by a brat.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

"We're going to build the wall, and make the Celts pay for it!"

Reactions: Hades

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm just kind of bemused at how people will stand by like sheep while corporations raze rainforests, but a kid chops down one specific tree and the rage erupts.
I think it's a shame because it was a very picturesque tree, and locally a lot of people identify with it as a landmark, but yeah I agree. People seem more annoyed about this than the shit being pumped into rivers or the many other things that are fucked up at the moment. (Yes, I understand people can be annoyed about more than one thing at a time, but the response here seems out of proportion, given the willingness to shrug about other problems.)

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm just kind of bemused at how people will stand by like sheep while corporations raze rainforests, but a kid chops down one specific tree and the rage erupts.
I think it's a shame because it was a very picturesque tree, and locally a lot of people identify with it as a landmark, but yeah I agree. People seem more annoyed about this than the shit being pumped into rivers or the many other things that are fucked up at the moment. (Yes, I understand people can be annoyed about more than one thing at a time, but the response here seems out of proportion, given the willingness to shrug about other problems.)

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
While I agree that the other kinds of shit happening in the world is awful, engaging in whataboutisms doesn't really do much good for any of the situations in question currently or those proposed further. This event, while not remotely proportional to the ones mentioned above, is still significant to many. It's a historical icon being torn down by people with a complete lack of care about it

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
While I agree that the other kinds of shit happening in the world is awful, engaging in whataboutisms doesn't really do much good for any of the situations in question currently or those proposed further. This event, while not remotely proportional to the ones mentioned above, is still significant to many. It's a historical icon being torn down by people with a complete lack of care about it
I'm not sure it's a whataboutism to ask 'This really makes you angry, but this thing that is very similar doesn't?'. Hey, if this tree coming down makes people care about the other things, maybe some good will come of it.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Don't forget all the farmers and ranchers that are also destroying it.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I don't care. It's a tree that happens to survive due to the local hills protecting it. Give the boy a stern talking to and leave it alone.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
I'm not sure it's a whataboutism to ask 'This really makes you angry, but this thing that is very similar doesn't?'. Hey, if this tree coming down makes people care about the other things, maybe some good will come of it.
But the other things don't have the simple visceral impact this one does. The destruction and malevolent stupidity are on display on the surface here.
But the other wider-ranging destruction is hidden by just how big and all-encompassing it is and also by how society "allows" destruction done in the name of progress by politically-sanctioned corporations.
It's easier to rage against a single dumb human than a monolithic entity we have no power to effect.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Don't forget all the farmers and ranchers that are also destroying it.
Objecting to them means you're against 'good honest working families just trying to put bread on the table and a roof over their heads', etc.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Clearly this child needs to be burnt alive on a pyre fashioned from the remains of the tree. May the fiery conflagration and his agonised screams be a warning to all.

Seriously though, community service seems like a good option.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
But the other things don't have the simple visceral impact this one does. The destruction and malevolent stupidity are on display on the surface here.
But the other wider-ranging destruction is hidden by just how big and all-encompassing it is and also by how society "allows" destruction done in the name of progress by politically-sanctioned corporations.
It's easier to rage against a single dumb human than a monolithic entity we have no power to effect.
Oh yeah, I get all that. When I first read about it I was shocked, just why would you do that?! But also, I think if you're angry about this but also feel it's okay to run over Just Stop Oil protestors in your Range Rover, you should have a ruddy good look at yourself.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Apparently someone else has planted a sapling next to the stump to replace it.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Apparently someone else has planted a sapling next to the stump to replace it.
It's since been de-planted on account of the general public not being allowed to just plant stuff at UNESCO World Heritage sites!

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Absolutely not to take away the gravity from this heinous act, but in America (well, ANYWHERE,) I would seriously take anything like this over a disgruntled kid shooting up his school or a mall or any place where innocent people can reasonable expect to just go about their everyday lives.
Rural Northumberland is a place that is so utterly devoid of joy that it is a miracle that nobody has committed a terrorist attack in Haltwhistle just to feel something.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Yeah, but... did the kid say something like "I cannot lie, I cut down the cherry sycamore tree"? I heard somewhere that's supposed to be important for some reason...