Fan Project to get Breath of the Wild Running on PC Makes Major Progress

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Fan Project to get Breath of the Wild Running on PC Makes Major Progress

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1388/1388715.jpg

Breath of the Wild looks nearly playable project from CEMU.

The team behind Wii U-to-PC emulator CEMU has been working to get Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild running on PC. It was estimated that the project would take months, and two weeks ago the team had it running, but it was extremely rocky and nowhere near looking like anything playable.

However, the team uploaded a new video last night, and the progress they have made is undeniable. The game appears to be running at a full 30fps for most of the video. The video shows off a little combat, as well as some of Link's abilities like Stasis and Magnesis when navigating shrines.

You can check the progress out here [https://streamable.com/hb5wr].

It's unlikely that this will last, as Nintendo is less than fond of unofficial emulators. We've reached out for comment and will update this post should we receive a response.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
Did something change in the recent past, as I was under the impression that the Escapist didn't condone piracy?
It's ok when it's against Nintendo. Cause Nintendo is worse than 10 Konami's.

Either way takedown in 3... 2...

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Kibeth41 said:
Did something change in the recent past, as I was under the impression that the Escapist didn't condone piracy?
It's ok when it's against Nintendo. Cause Nintendo is worse than 10 Konami's.

Either way takedown in 3... 2...
More like 100 Konamis. They'd get down to 10 Konamis if they'd finally realize they have no place in the hardware market and go third party.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
"Fan Project to get Breath of the Wild Running on PC"? Did you mean to imply that this software was only designed for Zelda?

Lizzy Finnegan said:
It's unlikely that this will last, as Nintendo is less than fond of unofficial emulators.
Nintendo can't do much to take 'em down. Emulators are totally legal, as long as they're not distributed with any copyrighted content. These guys aren't giving away the game, so unless it turns out they've been including Wii U bios files in their emulator or something, they're pretty much in the clear.

Kibeth41 said:
Emulation isn't just for piracy, though. I mean, I'm a big fan of emulating modern systems just to run these games at higher than the system itself supports. I ripped my entire Wii library several years ago, originally for use with a Wii backup loader just so I wouldn't have to switch discs, but these days I mostly play those games on my PC in Dolphin because they look really nice in 1080p. There's nothing piracy about it; I ripped the games myself, they were my own copies, and I still own the discs.

Admittedly, my use case might be kinda rare. I know a lot of people see emulation as an easy mode for piracy, and that's probably the vast majority of this software's userbase. Nonetheless, it's not CEMU's (or any emulator's) only use, so it's not really fair to lump them together as emulation = piracy.

P.S. Thanks

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Yeah, I don't see how this is ok... like.. at all... regardless of what you think of Nintendo's policies.

Sep 14, 2009
Cold Shiny said:
Yeah, I don't see how this is ok... like.. at all... regardless of what you think of Nintendo's policies.
you're right, you bought your disney dvd player just to play the marvel movies only, right?

/s

making people buy a whole system just for one game is stupid, regardless of it being nintendo/sony/microsoft/etc

plus if this emulator keeps going on pc, it'll be the superior version, easy.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
You know, as much as this could further piracy I really don't have any sympathy for Nintendo.
I'd love to give the Zelda games a try but I'm simply not going to buy a whole separate console to do so.
At some point a company has to stop being surprised at Piracy when they make it less convenient for consumers to buy that product.

Note Escapist: I am not in anyway condoning Piracy or suggesting I am going to do so. I just think companies lose the right to complain when they add more hurdles to the "want-thing-buy-thing" method.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
gmaverick019 said:
Cold Shiny said:
you're right, you bought your disney dvd player just to play the marvel movies only, right?

/s

making people buy a whole system just for one game is stupid, regardless of it being nintendo/sony/microsoft/etc

And you just validated my view right there.

"We can do it better, let's just take it".

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
"No bad tactics, only bad targets..."?

TrulyBritish said:
You know, as much as this could further piracy I really don't have any sympathy for Nintendo.
I'd love to give the Zelda games a try but I'm simply not going to buy a whole separate console to do so.
At some point a company has to stop being surprised at Piracy when they make it less convenient for consumers to buy that product.

Note Escapist: I am not in anyway condoning Piracy or suggesting I am going to do so. I just think companies lose the right to complain when they add more hurdles to the "want-thing-buy-thing" method.
Such as? They've released it on two home consoles. I mean a private enterprise has a right to make their products more competitive and desireable. It strikes me as the same entitled behaviour as when Bayonetta 2 was released as a Nintendo exclusive because Nintendo was the only company to put their hand in their pockets to help make it a reality.

Is Nintendo suddenly beholden to surrendering their right to act in their own corporate good?

By your logic alone, most other exclusives are worst offenders because all other competitor consoles are even more lousy with backwards compatibility of old games.

Sep 14, 2009
Cold Shiny said:
gmaverick019 said:
Cold Shiny said:

/s

ah yes, because this is a physical tangent good that they are reselling, right? oh wait...

no, no it's not.

on top of them not doing this for money, that's kind of how most 1st world economies work...someone takes an idea, and makes it better.

by all means, please buy a dvd player for every different movie publisher you have, and I can go on and on from there with other products if you like.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
Cold Shiny said:
gmaverick019 said:
Cold Shiny said:

/s

ah yes, because this is a physical tangent good that they are reselling, right? oh wait...

no, no it's not.

on top of them not doing this for money, that's kind of how most 1st world economies work...someone takes an idea, and makes it better.

by all means, please buy a dvd player for every different movie publisher you have, and I can go on and on from there with other products if you like.
About that...

https://www.patreon.com/cemu

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
Cold Shiny said:
gmaverick019 said:
Cold Shiny said:

/s

no, no it's not.

Just going to bring up one point. If Sony wanted to DRM their blu ray discs to only work on Sony players, they are free to do so. On the other hand, the market is free to criticize and vote with their wallet.

Also, say you want to watch Orange is the New Black, but you refuse to pay for Netflix. That doesn't justify piracy. Same dealio here. You can hate Nintendo, and there are certainly plenty of reasons to do so, but piracy is not cool bro.

Sep 14, 2009
marioandsonic said:
gmaverick019 said:
Cold Shiny said:
gmaverick019 said:
Cold Shiny said:

/s

no, no it's not.

About that...

https://www.patreon.com/cemu
fair point!

I'll concede that they are indirectly making money off of it; they are working on cemu and receiving donations for it, which in turn plays BotW/wiiU software on any piece of hardware that can meet the requirements.

NOTE: I haven't pirated in over 15 years, nor do I foresee myself to ever again, and I'm not interested enough in a game (let alone a nintendo game) to pay 300-400 dollars for it, so I have no horse in this race, I was merely speaking against the principle of exclusives/exclusive software, it's annoying and they'll just have to make do without my money.

Sep 14, 2009
Randomosity said:
gmaverick019 said:
Cold Shiny said:
gmaverick019 said:
Cold Shiny said:

/s

no, no it's not.

Just going to bring up one point. If Sony wanted to DRM their blu ray discs to only work on Sony players, they are free to do so. On the other hand, the market is free to criticize and vote with their wallet.

Also, say you want to watch Orange is the New Black, but you refuse to pay for Netflix. That doesn't justify piracy. Same dealio here. You can hate Nintendo, and there are certainly plenty of reasons to do so, but piracy is not cool bro.
damn, you responded right when I was responding to someone else, I'll just copy and paste my note, as I feel like it applies here as well.

NOTE: I haven't pirated in over 15 years, nor do I foresee myself to ever again, and I'm not interested enough in a game (let alone a nintendo game) to pay 300-400 dollars for it, so I have no horse in this race, I was merely speaking against the principle of exclusives/exclusive software, it's annoying and they'll just have to make do without my money.

now to add to that, yes, sony totally could do that, and I would definitely "vote with my wallet" and be pissed as hell at them about it. It's just sad when pirates get to enjoy all the products they want generally as comfortable as possible while drm and all these other shitty schemes that companies come up with only end up hurting the consumers that pay their wages in the first place.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
Randomosity said:
gmaverick019 said:
Cold Shiny said:
gmaverick019 said:
Cold Shiny said:

/s

no, no it's not.

damn, you responded right when I was responding to someone else, I'll just copy and paste my note, as I feel like it applies here as well.

now to add to that, yes, sony totally could do that, and I would definitely "vote with my wallet" and be pissed as hell at them about it. It's just sad when pirates get to enjoy all the products they want generally as comfortable as possible while drm and all these other shitty schemes that companies come up with only end up hurting the consumers that pay their wages in the first place.
I hear ya. It sucks that the end user has to suffer through DRM while pirates have all the fun. But piracy is also a contributing factor. If a company sees that their sales numbers are low, but piracy is high, they will likely beef up DRM.

Best way to teach a company a lesson is to hit the bottom line. Don't buy their stuff, but also don't pirate. Leave them with no scape goat excuse. It sucks cause you will likely miss out on some good stuff, but in the end a company will either need to change, or go under.

Now on the exclusivity note, this is interestingly enough not a problem unique to games. Exclusivity is everywhere. Wal-Mart and other retailers often will have exclusive products. Taco bell has its own exclusive flavor of mountain dew. Netflix and Hulu have exclusive series. And don't even get me started on sports broadcasting. It sucks, but that is how business works.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
This is quite, quite interesting.... Breath of the wild is the only game that makes me want a console, but I wouldn't do that. The second most game I want is a good Halo game, but having to use a controller for a shooter is hopeless, so not thanks.

I'd have to seriously debate it, but I doubt I would do anything.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Man, guys, can we not pretend this ISN'T piracy? The only people downloading are those with an issue about Nintendo making Hardware who still want to play the game. If you downloaded a cracked Overwatch it'd be exactly the same.

Also, didnt the Escapist have an article lambasting a site for having links to a piracy site? I know Emulator =\= Piracy but why the fuck else are they downloading a game thats not even a month old?! "I need a 60FPS Framerate or I'll go blind"?