Fan Project to get Breath of the Wild Running on PC Makes Major Progress

gillnavisingh

Stick a Cupca- AUGH!
Jan 13, 2010
Hey, real talk.
Can we please stop using that thumbnail of Link looking slightly angrily in the distance?

It's kinda overused, like that sad Mario doll

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Lizzy Finnegan said:
It's unlikely that this will last, as Nintendo is less than fond of unofficial emulators. We've reached out for comment and will update this post should we receive a response.
Are you actively dragging emulator development into the spotlight for it to die now?
That's not nice.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Randomosity said:
Now on the exclusivity note, this is interestingly enough not a problem unique to games. Exclusivity is everywhere. Wal-Mart and other retailers often will have exclusive products. Taco bell has its own exclusive flavor of mountain dew. Netflix and Hulu have exclusive series. And don't even get me started on sports broadcasting. It sucks, but that is how business works.
Hilariosly, this also extends to the aforementioned Blu-ray players and discs. In order to legally make blu-ray players, discs, or software, you have to pony up some serious cash.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
So they bought a WiiU game and are trying to upgrade that so they can enjoy the gameplay more?
I see nothing wrong with that.

I'll change my opinion on them once they start distributing/selling that product or the means on how to do it without first purchasing the product.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
People here truly deluding themselves if they think the emulation of it isn't 99.9% going to be used to just pirate this shit.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
ROMs don't grow on trees, you need to have the game data for them, which ideally comes from legally purchased games you already own.

When my PS2 inevitably croaks I'm gonna PCSX2 that beauty and I won't shed a single tear on behalf of Sony because I don't want my catalogue ending up gathering dust.

Imre Csete

Jul 8, 2010
Kibeth41 said:
Imre Csete said:
ROMs don't grow on trees
Neither does all of the data for pirated software. Lol. What an absolutely garbage argument.

you need to have the game data for them, which ideally comes from legally purchased games you already own.
Where do you think the files come from on torrent sites? Do you think a literal pirate sneaks into a Best Buy to steal it?

It's astounding how many in-denial escapist members there are. So many are trying to rationalize to themselves that it's okay for them to pirate something because they've renamed the act. Shame the mods have zero consistency.
Emulation, just like gaming, comes with a legal way to do it and an illegal way to do it.

The choice is eventually the user's.

I don't feel bad for playing my games because there is a way to pirate them, same deal with emulation.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
gmaverick019 said:
making people buy a whole system just for one game is stupid, regardless of it being nintendo/sony/microsoft/etc

plus if this emulator keeps going on pc, it'll be the superior version, easy.
So you're condoning piracy because you don't like the other games on the Switch?

You seem to think that you get to pick and choose when it's okay.
It's only when Nintendo is involved.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
It's neat on a technical level that, considering the emulator emulates Wii U hardware presumably, they are getting it to run better than the Wii U version already does, unless they are fiddling with things to allow it to draw from their whole PCs specs.

Is it piracy? Well I can pop in games I own into my computer and play them with the right programs, its how I keep playing old PS1 games after one of them had a problem with the spinning of my discs. Anyone know the laws on playing software you own on hardware that it wasn't intended for? I imagine it may not be super consistent.

I hope they get it all working and just sit there laughing as Nintendos biggest game for at least most of the year has technical issues on both system releases. Even if minor depending on mode or system that is not a seal of quality for me, get your asses back to the drawing board. Really woulda liked to have BoTW delayed on Switch so it took better advantage of the tech inside.

All in all, emulators can be used for shady purposes or not purely on the player, I'm not gonna harp on the devs of the emulator for anything. If Nintendo has beef I'd donate a few hundred to help with legal costs as they challenge such a claim, you got an issue you talk to players.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Such as? They've released it on two home consoles. I mean a private enterprise has a right to make their products more competitive and desireable. It strikes me as the same entitled behaviour as when Bayonetta 2 was released as a Nintendo exclusive because Nintendo was the only company to put their hand in their pockets to help make it a reality.

Is Nintendo suddenly beholden to surrendering their right to act in their own corporate good?

By your logic alone, most other exclusives are worst offenders because all other competitor consoles are even more lousy with backwards compatibility of old games.
No kidding. I can understand ridiculing a company due to bad treatment of employees (Konami), questionable business practices (Activision), obtrusive DRM (Ubisoft) or insufferable employees (Ninja Theory), but when the argument for advocating piracy Nintendo boils down to "I don't want them to succeed because how dare they make me pay for the games they make themselves" that's getting into outright petulant, juvenile territory. It's not an argument, it's stamping your feet.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
This is good news not because of Zelda but because it means fan translations of game never localized in the west might occur. It also means that future censored games like Tokyo Mirage from last gen may be able to get bad translations and censorship removed. I am quite excited about the prospect of forcing Nintendo's hand to get around some of NoA's more shitty practices.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Yeah no, I'm gonna have to say "Too soon". Say what you want about keeping copies, having your 10 year old console break down or convenience. The Switch hasn't been out for a month yet, and all you'd ever need this for at the moment is 99% piracy. Call me in a few years when the Switch or it's games aren't available anymore, or the HDMI output isn't "good enough" for 8K displays, but right now there is a perfectly good way to enjoy these games, and that's right there on the Switch itself.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
It's clearly not running at 30fps for most of it, maybe not any, but it's impressive how much progress has been made so quickly.

Imre Csete

Jul 8, 2010
NLS said:
Yeah no, I'm gonna have to say "Too soon". Say what you want about keeping copies, having your 10 year old console break down or convenience. The Switch hasn't been out for a month yet, and all you'd ever need this for at the moment is 99% piracy. Call me in a few years when the Switch or it's games aren't available anymore, or the HDMI output isn't "good enough" for 8K displays, but right now there is a perfectly good way to enjoy these games, and that's right there on the Switch itself.
You can rest easy then, because the Wii U is getting 5 years old.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
NLS said:
Might want to read the actual post before commenting...
I mean really, it's the first damn sentence of the article: "The team behind Wii U-to-PC"
They didn't emulate the Switch, they're working with the Wii U version.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Man, lotta people leaping on the WiiU age but not many commenting on the game being three weeks old. That's intriguing.

Sep 14, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
gmaverick019 said:
making people buy a whole system just for one game is stupid, regardless of it being nintendo/sony/microsoft/etc

plus if this emulator keeps going on pc, it'll be the superior version, easy.
So you're condoning piracy because you don't like the other games on the Switch?

You seem to think that you get to pick and choose when it's okay.
uh what, you want to put words in my mouth? In multiple posts already I've said I haven't pirated in over 15 years and I don't plan to ever again, but that doesn't magically make it so I can't say this emulated version will be the superior version *very* soon judging by their rate.

pick and choose when it's okay? I just said across the board I had the same opinion regardless of who or what it is....?