Fans Petition to Save Ambitious Lord of the Rings Mod

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
In situations like this I don't understand why a company like Warner Brothers wouldn't just hire these people to make the game...that way everybody wins.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Signed.

I think they're jealous as how much better this might be than their own creations. Last time I checked, more people learning and becoming interested in your story/IP/Product was a good thing.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
If I had to guess the issue is simply that a Skyrim-like game based on Middle Earth is something that someone with the liscence might conceivably want to do, even if there are no plans to do so right now, thus there is an interest in not seeing fans do it for free.

That said, I don't know all of the relevent laws here and whether this would fall under "fair use" or not. In the end it doesn't matter if the guys making the mod don't have the resources to fight it in court, which is likely since they are doing it for free.

I can see both ends of it, it will be interesting to see what happens in the long run.

I'll also say that this kind of thing is one of the big arguements for anonimity on the internet, while also being why corperations are tryng to do away with it. The internet being an intellectual free for all (as low brow as it might get) was kind of the point, and why it's also a threat. To be honest if these modders were all anonymous guys using handles, operating through an anonymously run site perhaps based outside of the US, there wouldn't be an issue, but of course that's why corperations scream bloody murder about it... and to be entirely fair such anonimity tends to be used for things far more insidious than fan mods.

The point of the above paragraph is to non-judgementally point out that this ties into other issues, albiet indirectly. A number of years ago there probably wouldn't have been an issue here because there would be no way to deliver a desist order in any meaningful or enforcable way, whether you consider that a good or bad thing is a matter of opinion.

I'll also say there is a reason why a lot of EMU projects and stuff try and stay under the radar as you can see.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I hope they keep making it and then releases it via a torrent.

Remember, an IP isn't a person...
So, yeah...
Row-row, fight da powar!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
So instead of this we'll get a shitty tie-in game with a slow combat system and shallow RPG elements... yay.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Well if the Skyrim-LOTR mod is gone I guess I'll have to wait for someone to remake oblivion and morrowwind in Skyrim.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Krantos said:
The real problem is they know MERP will be better than any games WB can put out. Can't have that now, can we.
And instead of doing the sensible thing of licensing the game engine and hiring the modding team to turn their mod into an official game with WB's name on it and potentially making huge profits they instead issue a CnD letter.

Ziame

Mar 29, 2011
thethird0611 said:
Hold on, I may be missing something here, but isnt this completely free? How can they cease and desist something that has no profit behind it?
because if WB makes an RPG in Tolkien's world, it'd be competition (free vs paid) within their IP (they have rights to Tolkien games). I hope i'm comprehensible.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Entitled said:
Azuaron said:
So... a company is protecting their IP rights from people who are actually, intentionally, and totally infringing upon those rights?

And now the internet's throwing a hissy fit?
This case only proves that IP law is wrong on many levels. The company shouldn't have these rights to begin with. They might have legal rights to the franchise, thanks to a broken system, but no moral rights.
The modders don't have legal rights, but they are in the right.

1. J. R.R. Tolkien died 39 years ago. Yet, laws that are claimed to help artists make a living, and support the creation of more art by them, are being bought off by giant corporations to stop new art from being made and increase their own profits in the name of a few white bones in a cementery in Oxford.

2. The Hobbit was released 75 years ago, The Lord of the Rings 58 years ago. The places, characters, races, and situations described in them have since became a part of common culture. The One Ring, Gandalf, the Hobbit race, or the city of Gondor, belong the the masses as much as The Excalibur, Prince Hamlet, the Lilliputians, or Atlantis are. Many works were created about these themes, yet Middle-earth is for some arbitary reason, a Forbidden Zone.

3. Copyright is claimed to be a necessary law to protect the production of more new games by the industry. Yet so far, in the past many years, the copyright industry has failed to create any large scale LotR RPG similar to the Elder Scrolls games, in spite of the obvious demand for it. They left a hole in the market.

Then here there is a team of enthusiastic artists willing to fill that hole on their own terms, and create games for free, without even asking for any "intellectual property" for themselves, without demanding their own "right" to stop others from copying their work, either with piracy, or with modified creations. And what does the copyright to? STOP THEM FROM CREATING IT!
My thoughts exactly. I hope that they'll finish it in secret and upload it via torrent. There are mods and even fan-made games that got a CnD and still survive this way.

Vuavu

Apr 5, 2010
So... Instead of copying the movie... Why doesn't the mod-team simply draw inspiration from the books?

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Waiiiitt... Guys...I totally don't see a problem do you?

I mean what's wrong with this game. After all it's called Lord of the Kings, starring Frado Bigguns and Gan Dolph the wizard?

eh? eh? d-^_^-b

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
I figured that they do base it on the books. But can't they just ask Christopher for permission, or does WB own everything related specifically to Lord of the Rings trilogy?

Hoping to see Barrow-downs and Tom, btw. Would make this near-mandatory Elder Scrolls beside my current Morrowind GOTY with Tamriel Rebuilt.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
There are enough fan made LOTR mods out already that I really don't think Warner has a case.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I am signer #3812 representing New Zealand, the very land of the elves, dwarves and hobbits!

This outrage cannot be ignored, this is hard honest work people have put into this and I don't see it damaging the IP at all.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Although I'm doubtful it will work I really hope they succeed. This looks like one of the most ambitious and well put together mods I've ever seen. It's unfair that they just have to stop it.

I'm no legal expert, but aren't people allowed to do what they like as long as they don't gain any money from someone else's IP? Shouldn't a free mod be allowed?

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
The only Lord of the Rings game that I actually enjoyed was The Two Towers for PS2. The other ones were complete crap. This is a mod for a great game that should be allowed to go through. However, with the recent state of things in the suing market, I'm actually surprised that Warner Brothers didn't sue the dev team for some random crap they'll make up later.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I suddenly wish my PC was capable of running Skyrim. Curse you PC Gamers and your awesome user made content!

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Aesir23 said:
I suddenly wish my PC was capable of running Skyrim. Curse you PC Gamers and your awesome user made content!
I now have a PC good enough, but it was bought for me on Xbox by my girlfriend, so re-buying it seems like it may be a waste of money when I could get something new. I will keep an eye on it for sales etc though, especially if this mod is able to stay and be available.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
Aesir23 said:
I now have a PC good enough, but it was bought for me on Xbox by my girlfriend, so re-buying it seems like it may be a waste of money when I could get something new. I will keep an eye on it for sales etc though, especially if this mod is able to stay and be available.
I have it for console as well, unfortunately it's for the PS3. It works pretty decently since the 1.5 patch but being excluded from DLC for the foreseeable future is annoying at best.

If this mod does become available I'll have to gather the funds and consult with my brother on how best to turn my four year old PC into a decent gaming rig. A mod like the one described would be too good to pass up.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Boudica said:
They have to do this or they lose ability to stop other people using their IP.

Blame IP laws, not the companies that have to work with them.
Warner Bros as IP owners are just executives who could pay the most money to own and profit from someone else's creation.

The creator is long dead, and the modders aren't intending to make money off of it, Soooo fuck WB! Fuck them right in the ear!