Fans Petition to Save Ambitious Lord of the Rings Mod

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
What they need to do is hit up Peter Jackson, Martin Freeman and the WETA studios with this. No doubt (for Warner Bros) this is a standard response and they regard any counter argument another standard response, one which they are more than happy to ignore.

I doubt anyone involved with the C'n'D has even the slightest inkling what they're stamping on, just that it had the Tolkein word attached to it. They would pay attention if one of their 'names' started talking about it, if only to avoid the PR disaster.
*Looks at badges...*

Hmm...<.<

OT: Goddamn The Lords of the The Ring came out in the 195o's... in any sensible world it would've become public domain already...

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
MrBrightside919 said:
There was a LOTR mod for Oblivion and I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT IT?!?!?!?
I knew about the Morrowind mod, but I think that was a different team, and ran afoul of the Tolkien Estate, not Warner...

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Nurb said:
Boudica said:
They have to do this or they lose ability to stop other people using their IP.

Blame IP laws, not the companies that have to work with them.
Warner Bros as IP owners are just executives who could pay the most money to own and profit from someone else's creation.

The creator is long dead, and the modders aren't intending to make money off of it, Soooo fuck WB! Fuck them right in the ear!
The creators are alive and well and working on The Hobbit. This ties into the films not the books. Anyway I.C.E.should sue their arses for taking the MERP name in vain. If you are going to call your mod MERP you need to base it on MERP not some johnny come lately movies.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
octafish said:
Nurb said:
Boudica said:

Warner Bros as IP owners are just executives who could pay the most money to own and profit from someone else's creation.

The creator is long dead, and the modders aren't intending to make money off of it, Soooo fuck WB! Fuck them right in the ear!
The creators are alive and well and working on The Hobbit. This ties into the films not the books. Anyway I.C.E.should sue their arses for taking the MERP name in vain. If you are going to call your mod MERP you need to base it on MERP not some johnny come lately movies.
The movies are just really elaborate fan films that gets the current IP owners lots of money, they didn't create the world, they're making a movie it's based on

And I think a game mod is totally fair use.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Love, its the one thing that these suits just don't understand. To them everything is about money and profit. The very notion that there are people out there doing things for love is beyond them. They simply cannot comprehend people doing things that don't benefit them personally. My advice to the mod developers would be to try and negotiate with Peter Jackson personally. If he was half the person he seemed to be when he made LOTR, he would understand.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
From Forochel to Harondor and from Forlindon to Rhovanion and every town and great city in-between.
Wow, that is very detailed and quite ambitious. I'd love to see the lesser known locations of Middle Earth adapted in to a game.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Aesir23 said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Aesir23 said:
I suddenly wish my PC was capable of running Skyrim. Curse you PC Gamers and your awesome user made content!
I now have a PC good enough, but it was bought for me on Xbox by my girlfriend, so re-buying it seems like it may be a waste of money when I could get something new. I will keep an eye on it for sales etc though, especially if this mod is able to stay and be available.
I have it for console as well, unfortunately it's for the PS3. It works pretty decently since the 1.5 patch but being excluded from DLC for the foreseeable future is annoying at best.

If this mod does become available I'll have to gather the funds and consult with my brother on how best to turn my four year old PC into a decent gaming rig. A mod like the one described would be too good to pass up.
Yeah, it was only two months ago that I overhauled my PC to something decent.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
This right here is why I hate the **** that is copyright laws. Yeah I know artists need some protection for their work but all these crappy IP laws seem to do is help corparations and ruin things for everbody else.

I hate IP laws and wish they would change soon but they won't and this probably won't get made now. This is saddening.

doctorwhofan

Mar 20, 2009
You are addressing the wrong company. Like anything Dungeon and Dragons is addressed to Hasbro, Anything Tolkien is owned by SZ. THe man bought the rights for ALL MEDIA outside books (I beleive) from tolkien directly. He made a promise to respect the spirit of the books and that's all. It cannot be public domain because someone still owns the intellictual rights, either Christopher who is "continuing" the series and the SZ who allowed WB to use the IP. THey also let Turbine use the IP, but could not really do anything before the Fellowship of the Ring. That's why in the MMO, Things from the "Hobbit" are really not mentioned, neither is the SIllimarillion (sp.)and so on.

WB has use of the property, and in order to keep that property excusive they have to defend it.

THe problem is, while the modders won't make any cash, Bethesda will. For there are people who didn't jump on the Elder scrolls bandwagon (cough cough ME!) that would purchase it for a LotR mod. And WB and SZ will not see ANY of that cash.

Which is all ironic since the Mojang and Bethesda "scroll" nonsense. Not that had anything to do with the Modders.

BUT BUT IT ISN'T FAIR!

Maybe not, however, there is alot of people who's intellectual property has stomped upon when they are still alive let alone dead, because they gave it up or lost it (fairly or unfairly).Do you have the right to defend what you own or created? I think so. If I rewrote LotR using modern language and posted, free, on the internet would I be infriging the IP? Maybe. It's a dangerous game to play IP chicken with a big company. Chances are that they have a leg to stand on and the lawyers to back it up.

IF I wrote something original, took the time to copyright it and had it printed as a book, only to find someone using it in a game as a free mod because he loved it...I'd be flattered, however, if people bought the game just to play the mod, I'd be slightly upset. My property is being used and all I have to show for it is my revenues from my books. I will never see any money from the game because I don't have a contract with that game. Worse, what if they changed how the characters act? Is that fair? I wrote the character to be moody and violent, there was a reason. Why is a bunch of modders rewriting my book?

At the end, WB is protecting its IP rights. It paid for these rights and has to pay the "Rental fees" on it and has to obey the rules that were set down by the owners of the IP. Modders don't have that, they can do anything they want. And with a game as popular as Skyrim, that's a lot of cash that the IP owners will not see. Plus, interfering with current and upcoming games that they produced because the mod is better and you already bought skyrim. Is that fair?

Whether or not you agree with them, do understand why they are doing it. They are protecting an investment, a legacy of a man, and keeping a promise. THey are not being mean to the poor, poor Modders.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Dandark said:
This right here is why I hate the **** that is copyright laws. Yeah I know artists need some protection for their work but all these crappy IP laws seem to do is help corparations and ruin things for everbody else.

I hate IP laws and wish they would change soon but they won't and this probably won't get made now. This is saddening.
Thing is, from what I can see/understand they aren't even breaching any laws at all.

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
So the Oblivion mod that's a total conversion to LOTR is fine, but the Skyrim version isn't? And it's a non-profit mod, meaning that they spent hundreds of hours on this thing and expect no one to pay them for their time. Oh you can just shove that C&D WB, you're just scared that a couple of dudes with some free time can do it better than you.

Consider that petition signed.

And before I hear someone lecturing me about, yes I know that they are technically infringing on their blah blah blah.

It's still bullshit.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Azuaron said:
So... a company is protecting their IP rights from people who are actually, intentionally, and totally infringing upon those rights?

And now the internet's throwing a hissy fit?
They're not making any money from it. It's like suing for making your own Hobbit costume.

Boudica said:

Do you have anything to back that up? The obvious point of reference is the Bethesda-Mojang case, but both were dealing with IPs set to make money, not fan hobbyists.

There are innumerable Star Wars fanworks and Lucas is happy to leave them alone, but he's gone to court on several occasions to stop those that are out to make money.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
If WB actually wins this thing, who knows what could happen to other mods out there...

...if they take my Goldeneye: Source away from me, I will choke a *****...

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
MrBrightside919 said:
If WB actually wins this thing, who knows what could happen to other mods out there...

...if they take my Goldeneye: Source away from me, I will choke a *****...
Choke an executive instead.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Tanis said:
If it's a mod...how can 'they' stop it?

It's like the owners of the BattleStar Galactica IP suing over that recent FreeSpace 2 mod.
Technically, they're perfectly within their rights. This is one reason why copyright law in the US is such bullshit.

As far as I'm concerned, there should be UNIVERSAL protection for non-commercial use of any IP, but the current laws give Warner Bros. the authority to shut them down just for having the name attached to it.

It happened to the unofficial Sonic game, the unofficial Chrono Trigger sequel and yes, the owners of the Galactica IP could kill that Freespace mod too, if they wanted.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Entitled said:
Azuaron said:
So... a company is protecting their IP rights from people who are actually, intentionally, and totally infringing upon those rights?

And now the internet's throwing a hissy fit?
This case only proves that IP law is wrong on many levels. The company shouldn't have these rights to begin with. They might have legal rights to the franchise, thanks to a broken system, but no moral rights.
The modders don't have legal rights, but they are in the right.

1. J. R.R. Tolkien died 39 years ago. Yet, laws that are claimed to help artists make a living, and support the creation of more art by them, are being bought off by giant corporations to stop new art from being made and increase their own profits in the name of a few white bones in a cementery in Oxford.

2. The Hobbit was released 75 years ago, The Lord of the Rings 58 years ago. The places, characters, races, and situations described in them have since became a part of common culture. The One Ring, Gandalf, the Hobbit race, or the city of Gondor, belong the the masses as much as The Excalibur, Prince Hamlet, the Lilliputians, or Atlantis are. Many works were created about these themes, yet Middle-earth is for some arbitary reason, a Forbidden Zone.

3. Copyright is claimed to be a necessary law to protect the production of more new games by the industry. Yet so far, in the past many years, the copyright industry has failed to create any large scale LotR RPG similar to the Elder Scrolls games, in spite of the obvious demand for it. They left a hole in the market.

Then here there is a team of enthusiastic artists willing to fill that hole on their own terms, and create games for free, without even asking for any "intellectual property" for themselves, without demanding their own "right" to stop others from copying their work, either with piracy, or with modified creations. And what does the copyright to? STOP THEM FROM CREATING IT!
Oh, you can't blame Warner Bros. for any of that. In particular, they haven't "bought up" the rights to LotR so much as bought the film rights (and probably some videogame rights) and with them some trademarks. That's really where it looks like MERP's getting hit, too: the trademarks, which is a whole different mess of laws than copyright.

And, given the litigious nature of Tolkien's estate, if they ever found out about the mod they'd shut it down, too, but from a copyright stance.

Personally, I think copyright should last no longer than death of the creator + 20 years (preferably 10 years). This gives their children/estate enough time to resolve the story if need be (e.g., Robert Jordan) while giving them the cash flow to do so. If a company "created" the media, they can have it for 50 years.

But, until we can shove copyright reform through Congress, these are the laws we have, and complaining at a company for protecting the rights they've been legally granted is like complaining at pedestrians for using crosswalks (they should use jetpacks, amirite?)

Anyway, the modders aren't "right", morally or otherwise. They haven't even taken the, "It shouldn't be copyrighted anymore," stance, just the, "Oh, come on, why do you care, you should just let us do this," stance. And even if they had taken that stance, it's still morally wrong to take the legal rights of IP owners without asking just because you want to or because you disagree with the law. This is not one of those laws where civil disobedience is appropriate or useful.

Hand still in the cookie jar, throwing a tantrum.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
How absurd.

Didn't even have to take a second to think before I signed this petition.