Fans Protest Tera's Censorship

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Any cenrsorship for the sake of censorship is bad and they should never get away with it.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
jdogtwodolla said:
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
This is the one time not a single fuck was given about sex in video games?
I thought the (Somewhat) stereotype was Europe was more concerned with violence than sex and vice versa for the states.
This is because Europe has seen so much more real violence in recent history, and the US doesn't have any real issues to have to think about.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
gigastar said:
DVS BSTrD said:
If the European mainstream has such an aversion to blood, it's no wonder your women don't save.
Thats just Germany. I dont know why the country with the biggest record of bloodshed in European history got this adversion to blood in digital media from, but its there.
You know those Germans when it comes to video-games: Besser tot als rot
haha, das ist bestimmt die Wahrheit. Und ich glaube, dass man "lieber tot als rot" sagt.

OP: I think it's pretty stupid. Seeing as the blood was probably an intergral part of how the player interacted with the enemies it was fighting, taking that suddenly away probably removed some of the fun that the game had before. Without such an effect, the game would then seem duller and less spectacular as before. I've not personally played it however.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Jadak said:
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
So lemme get this straight. 9 year old girls in their underpants is okay but the blood had to go? 9 year old girls in fox ears and underpants but its the blood that is the issue. REALLY!? This is the one time not a single fuck was given about sex in video games?
To be fair, those girls look at least 12.
No there's been pretty constant complaining from the prudish, conservative, forum-crusader crowd about how "wrong" the Elin are. In a world where 5 year old girls in 2-piece bikinis and short-shorts is commonplace and were Toddlers in Tiaras is a real thing, clearly there's no real sexualization of real children going on, no, we have to get all up in arms about a race of neko-girls dreamed up by a pair of gods in a video game.

At least these people are getting riled up about censorship. The same kind of censorship, mind you, that people like Joe Lieberman tried to force on games back in the 90s when Mortal Kombat was, apparently, the most heinous thing ever conceived by man.

But no, let's totally dismiss these people. I can't wait for this kind of thinking to get a foothold so we can have an E rated Call of Duty where the guns are walkie-talkies that shoot rainbows and the enemies turn into skittles.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
NightmareLuna said:
Another case of demanding, whining and spoiled people. They all need a good backslap.
Yay censorship! Vote yes on SOPA 2.0! Vote yes on all the crazy ultra-conservative bills that say TV, Movies, and video games are destroying our youth and the only way to stop this is to let a group of elderly Christian Conservatives determine what is and is not acceptable for you to view or do as entertainment.

Thank you for leading us to a future where the government decides what is good for us, cause they know best.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Calamity said:
Try reading other posts before commenting, already said they're well written it, doesn't mean they can't be an after thought, doesn't take long to summon up a back story for something, especially considering that back story is actually quite separate from the rest of the story, when looked at. A goddess created them to help her father out of her own sadness using her own power/soul/lifeforce, yet they have no real impact on the story of the gods fighting, and aren't really mentioned via any other races back story.

Also, as my previous example gave, you can have something out of place in a universe where they don't fit, just because it's "fantasy".

Lets have another example, lets say that in Mass Effect, and a race was written in as being as bunch of synthetic life forms and were created for the soul purpose of fighting the reapers by the lets say, Krogran. That just happen to look like:
THAT would be out of place would it not? And that is how I feel about the Elin and Popori.

Also, I don't think you have the story right in your own mind. It isn't the dream of two gods, it's the dream of two Titans, greater than gods, and is very much up for interpretation. Personally I see it like how "God created women out of Adams rib", in that, it's how the populace of the world explain their own existence and the greater powers than them.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
I'm honestly amazed that sex and sex appeal are considered worse than violence and gore. Priorities anyone?

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008

Honestly I don't care, it's immature to arbitrarily censor it. But at the same time they're basically wearing Chainmail Bikinis.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
templar1138a said:
My fellow Fantasy fans: Female armor can still be sexy WITHOUT exposing flesh to oncoming weapons or having the character wearing it pose like a hooker.
Watch out. Someone's going to accuse you of having something against "attractive women."

Because, as we all know? According to fancritter logic, female characters aren't attractive unless they're half-naked and putting on a show.

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
There's barely any blood in the game to begin with, so I don't really see what's there to censor.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
And here I thought they were protesting the Elin hotpants, lol. I've got to admit how it's weird that En Masse and Frogster seem so intent on modifying the game for Western shores. Even if it's stuff that would definitely raise a few eyebrows. The fans just want the creators to give them the same version that Asians get, and shut up and just translate. And it is kind of weird they won't do just that.

At the very least, there's a very healthy modding community for the Western version of this game already. So people can play it just like the Asian folks, they just have to make an effort. ... though I don't think that's the point. I guess the problem is that it has to be modified to begin with.

I don't know about going as far as boycotting. I'm getting sick of all the "has one minute flaw, unplayable" crowd. But I don't understand why people just can't translate a game and throw it out there. Also, I thought the Western advertising was playing up the violence and downplaying the cuteness. Wouldn't they be better off leaving the violent content in? I've looked at the Asian sites like Hangame and they've all got the Elin and Popori plastered everywhere. With bright colours like purples and things all over the place. But on the Western stuff it's all orange and brown, and showcases the Aman and Castanics everywhere.

I don't get the whole thing. But they need to do whatever possible to keep this game afloat. I'm not sure they're doing it.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
omg Looking at the cover makes me want to laugh out loud. A bunch of men in armour and women in underwear with some metal thrown on haphazardly. No wonder people have trouble taking video games serious.

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
I admire their convictions. Good for them, for being vocal about what they don't like in the release.

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
Asuka Soryu said:
omg Looking at the cover makes me want to laugh out loud. A bunch of men in armour and women in underwear with some metal thrown on haphazardly. No wonder people have trouble taking video games serious.
LOL. Uhh, yeah, when an entire community starts talking about every little thing with a game, I'm pretty sure that most games are taken seriously... Very, seriously...

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
How can anyone take this game seriously anyways when in the game the female characters fight in their bikini's to how only I can guess to give the monsters a hardy so they are more likely to miss attacking them?

I bet that female characters in game for Tera don't even have to fight at all, they can enter striptease dance mode and seduce the monsters into attacking each other. Or if your the pedo race you can suck on a lollipop because if THEY did the striptease dance that would be too much so they will simply send mixed messages.

Tera is a seriously serious game!

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
Zeckt said:
How can anyone take this game seriously anyways when in the game the female characters fight in their bikini's to how only I can guess to give the monsters a hardy so they are more likely to miss attacking them?

I bet that female characters in game for Tera don't even have to fight at all, they can enter striptease dance mode and seduce the monsters into attacking each other. Or if your the pedo race you can suck on a lollipop because if THEY did the striptease dance that would be too much so they will simply send mixed messages.

Tera is a seriously serious game!
I'd definitely play that. Beats the hell out of WoW panda expansion for sure. What's next? A Winnie the Pooh class where you fucking climb trees and attack by throwing pots of honey and bees?

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Asuka Soryu said:
The cover actually looks more as if the middle character is the lead dancer doing a lap / strip dance with everyone on the sides being the supporting dancers.