Fans Tear New Mass Effect Book to Shreds

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
isometry said:
Daverson said:
Erm, point 4, I don't think you can make assumptions of the "science" behind ME, considering their magical crystal are "Element Zero".

For those of us who apparently don't know what science is, elements in the periodic table are numbered by the number of protons they've got in their nucleus. So, Element 1 (Hydrogen) has a single proton in the nucleus, while element 13 (aluminium) has 13. Element 0 isn't something that's physically impossible, it's literally nothing! You can't have nothing as your magical crystals!

And it's not like it's just called "Element Zero", but it's something else entirely, they go out of their way to say that's exactly what it is! I'm pretty sure this is the first thing you learn in chemistry classes these days!
There are various exotic forms of matter outside the domain of chemistry and the periodic table. For example, neutron stars are made out of neutronium, a material that has no protons or electrons and is a ~100 billion times more dense than any matter on the periodic table. In fact, the chemist who first hypothesized the existence of neutronium placed it on his periodic table as "element zero", although of course that didn't catch on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutronium

Another possibility is the "dark matter" that is studied in astronomy and cosmology. Dark matter is not made of protons, in fact one of the things that made us look for dark matter is that someone realized that the visible universe has only ~10^80 protons and that this is not enough to account for the accelerating expansion of the universe - two other independent things that led us to dark matter were the rotation speeds of galaxies and an effect called gravitational lensing, but the "not enough protons" problem was definitely part of it.

As a more general framework for exotic matter, recall that protons and neutrons are made of quarks. There are six quarks (up, down, charmed, strange, top, bottom) but protons and neutrons only involve up/down and their respective antiparticles. Charmed, strange, top, and bottom are generated in particle accelerators. For example, omega baryons are like heavier cousins of protons, made out of strange and charmed quarks instead of up and down quarks.

Sorry for going on so long. The point is that the periodic table does not describe everything, not even close. It's estimated that 90% of the total mass in the universe is dark matter, not found on the periodic table.
Neutron Stars are neutron degenerate matter, which isn't the same thing as neutronium (neutronium actually isn't even a thing, it was theorized back before we understood the nature of these particles, but for various reasons neutrons don't clump together in a nucleus by themselves). As for dark matter, yes, that's a good idea. They should have gone with that instead. (Isn't dark matter the magic rocks in Futurama? You know you've done goofed with the satire is more scientifically accurate than you are...)

Yes, the periodic table doesn't describe everything, but it does describe everything on the periodic table, so when you go out of your way to state your magic rocks as element zero on the periodic table, you're just setting yourself up to fail.

Agayek said:
To be fair, since we've already ventured into the realm of pseudo-science, it's not unreasonable to state that Eezo is simply a proton-less atom. More colloquially, the atomic core is nothing but neutrons. We never actually are told what the atomic weight of Element Zero is, so we can't definitively state that it's nothing.
See the above.

The_Darkness said:
Okay, can't quite believe I'm getting into this, but that isn't exactly right. The atomic number refers to an element's number of protons, not the total mass of the nucleus. So Element Zero would just be an atom with no protons (cf neutron stars). It still doesn't make perfect sense, but it's better than, well, nothing :)
And you too.

Agayek said:
Kinda sorta. You've got the basic principle right, but you are vastly underestimating the energies involved. The only reason photons don't destroy the Earth is because they have no mass. Since there's no mass involved, there can't be kinetic energy transfer, and thus nothing gets destroyed.

Also, you're vastly underestimating the size of the projectile used in the ME verse. Even with relativistic speeds, a nanogram projectile moving at 10% of C would have less kinetic energy than a standard 28g modern-day shotgun slug. They would need pieces at least as large as a milligram to do decent damage, at relativistic speeds no less.
Yeah, I covered that back in post 26. You'd need a segment with the mass of a few hundred micrograms travelling close to the speed of light.

Photons have a very small mass, which we can't really measure, but it's theorized to at most 10^-60 kg. (about 30 orders of magnitude less than an electron or neutrino, which in any mathematical model is statistically nothing.)

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
Don't get mad at Bioware people. While they have ceirtanly made numerous faults as of late, this one is hardly one of theirs. Bioware is only responsible for developing the games, they are not responsible for hiring novel writers (as far as I know) and in the end EA owns the Mass Effect franchise and have the final say in who should write what and what should be published.

sifffffff

Oct 28, 2011
Nitpicking is nitpicking. A large number of complaints about Mass Effect 2 boil down to the same issue. 'Why is the lore inconsistent.'

I haven't read the book but if the overall story is good I have no problem with him accidentally misusing the term "relativistic speeds."

Good god and I thought I was a nerd...

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I guess no one checks it. I read the list and there are some really obvious mistakes although others are a bit nit picky. especially when dealing with a sci-fi novel. Thing is, even the creators are not the best people to check the book before being published, only a die hard fan is qualified....same as with Star Trek and Star Wars. Need nerds to proof read it and ensure its correct.

Foxtrotk72

Feb 27, 2010
these guys are idiots i reckon i dont really care if there's plot holes in ME i guess some people want to share there frustration with the world. I haven't read any ME novels so i feel sorry for the author who wrote this he/she tried there best to do it but the fans are bitching seems like it to me, i love Mass Effect i really do even though im mocking the fans but to be honest there just whining to me

BushMonstar

Jan 25, 2012
Wow. I haven't played any of the mass effect games, but this just sounds like it screws it up so bad.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
The_Darkness said:
Daverson said:
Element 0 isn't something that's physically impossible, it's literally nothing! You can't have nothing as your magical crystals!
Okay, can't quite believe I'm getting into this, but that isn't exactly right. The atomic number refers to an element's number of protons, not the total mass of the nucleus. So Element Zero would just be an atom with no protons (cf neutron stars). It still doesn't make perfect sense, but it's better than, well, nothing :)

On topic... GOOD GRIEF. I spend an indecent amount of time keeping track of Mass Effect canon in my head (particularly how things would be changed by what happened in my playthrough), and I'm also an amateur author. Something like this just hurts...
so it would be a just a neutron...

that's disappointing. let's interpret 'element zero' metaphorically and say they called it that because it's the foundation of galactic society.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
Foxtrotk72 said:
these guys are idiots i reckon i dont really care if there's plot holes in ME i guess some people want to share there frustration with the world. I haven't read any ME novels so i feel sorry for the author who wrote this he/she tried there best to do it but the fans are bitching seems like it to me, i love Mass Effect i really do even though im mocking the fans but to be honest there just whining to me
If he tried his best, he would have made an outline of his major plot points and tech blurbs and checked them against the text of the in-game codices or the wiki; or both, given that the codices exist on the ME wiki verbatim and in their entirety. Internal consistency is hugely important in any story, particularly sci-fi.

No offense intended, but if this really is Mr. Dietz's best effort as an author then I'd humbly suggest he consider a new line of work. Perhaps as a reporter; most of them don't even proofread anymore, let alone fact-check.

Arcadian Legend

Blame your fate!
Jan 9, 2012
There is always going to be nitpicky errors for anything, but that doesn't mean the big glaring errors should be ignored. Even the folks of the Mass Effect Wiki, which Bioware's writers admitted using as a handy reference tool are refusing to add anything Deception story related. They even wrote an angry yet polite letter.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:SpartHawg948/An_Open_Letter_Regarding_Mass_Effect:_Deception

And another link that goes into the errors in little more detail.
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:JakePT/Handling_Mass_Effect:_Deception%27s_Issues

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
WMDogma said:
Unlike the previous novels, which were written by Mass Effect's Lead Writer Drew Karpyshyn, Deception is written by William C. Dietz.
The fact that prior novels were written by Karpyshyn was about the only reason I gave them a shot. And they were good.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Kinver said:
You have to intentionally ignore the source material when it's staring you in the face.
Or - more probably - just not be at all familiar with it. I can't blame the guy for not wanting to play two video games before starting on a book that he probably wasn't going to be paid a huge amount for anyway. He probably just skimmed a few plot summaries online.

Bit shoddy of Bioware to allow it though, especially if they made an effort with the previous two. Then again, I read the novelisation of the Van Helsing film and that was completely splattered with typos and other errors. So I don't think you can expect much!

Purplecoyote

Feb 10, 2010
Kinver said:
And the thing is, as someone who read a 55 page excerpt of the novel, the errors are glaring at times. Some on that list are nitpicky, but others are simple facts. Example:

- Two characters are now 18 when they were 12/13 at the end of ME1, which is said to have taken place two years prior
- One of those characters was also Autistic, now they aren't
- Biotics are now suddenly ranked by power level and can level up if they gain enough experience
- A character who was dead is now alive
- A character who is known as a racist and was introduced to us by talking about how much he hates the Asari now thinks Asari are hot
- Many others (Just look how long that list is!)

Believe me, the list also ignores the simply amateurish writing (Characters getting killed by a sharpened toothbrush, another character stealing cereal to prove how much of a badass he is). It takes actual effort to have this many errors. You have to intentionally ignore the source material when it's staring you in the face.

There's hitting the mark, missing the mark, and shooting yourself in the foot. This book picks the third option.
bwuh? Gillian is no longer autistic? But that was one of her major characteristics , they made a whole point about the fact that she got picked on because she ate her food in parts for goodness sake.

There's not doing the research and then there's just writing with your head in the sand.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Reading those errors turns out to be quite entertaining givin their face palm worthyness.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
AstylahAthrys said:
Dietz's novel was the weakest in the Halo series, but at least he didn't majorly muck up the lore (mostly due to the fact the book was based off the first game)

I'm increasingly beginning to wonder how such shoddy books can get by with risk to tarnishing the good name of the franchise. First that horrible Elder Scrolls book, and now Mass Effect looks like it has a bad egg too. Authors should be required to study all the source material before writing a novel based on something else.
I think it's because most of the time these books are shameless marketing tie-ins that aren't really aimed at sophisticated readers. They are targeted at fans to be sure, but are probably intended for teen boys (at least in the case of ME) who haven't really developed an understanding of quality writing and are more interested in guns, spaceships, battles and new adventures in the world of a videogame series.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Let me introduce you to the Leftnt Sharpe Tie-in fiction rating scale, starting from worse to best:

-Author needs to be punched in the face (C.S Goto goes here).
-Tie-in bad (Dietz is about here).
-Tie in average (Karpyshan here).
-Tie-in good (Karen Traviss goes here? Also Sandy Mitchell).
-Dan Abnett (Pretty self-explanatory)

It should be noted that when comparing tie-in books to actual works of literature they should be moved down one category. For example a book that is 'tie-in good' is merely average by normal standards and Dan Abnett would be reduced from 'God Emperor of tie-in fiction mancrush level' to merely good.

Please feel free to rip apart my life's work.

Stormwaltz

Jul 8, 2003
Hey folks. A quick note: "element zero" is a human nickname. It should not be interpreted to mean eezo is a literal element. In the in-game codex, it's referred to with the deliberately vague term "material."

When subjected to an electrical current, the rare material dubbed element zero, or "eezo", emits a dark energy field that raises or lowers the mass of all objects within it. This "mass effect" is used in countless ways, from generating artificial gravity to manufacturing high-strength construction materials. It is most prominently used to enable faster-than-light space travel.

Eezo is generated when solid matter, such as a planet, is affected by the energy of a star going supernova. The material is common in the asteroid debris that orbit neutron stars and pulsars. These are dangerous places to mine, requiring extensive use of robotics, telepresence, and shielding to survive the incredible radiation from the dead star... (snip)
It is "unobtainium" (i.e., made-up BS). But it's most emphatically NOT an element. I helped develop the tech base and wrote all the ME1 codex entries, so I can speak with some authority on that. :)

Mimsofthedawg said:
It's actually mentioned that most of the Turian fleet was destroyed in the Battle of the Citadel by the Geth...
This is inaccurate. Most of the Citadel Fleet was destroyed at the Battle of the Citadel, but Council peacekeeping forces are stationed throughout the galaxy. Most significantly, none of the 37 turian dreadnoughts were at the Citadel (and they had completed two more by the time of ME2). Canonically, the Council lost 20 turian cruisers - this is stated in the al-Jilani interview from ME2 - and possibly (depending on player choice) the Destiny Ascension.