Fantastic Four Trailer Reveals Radical Re-Imagining

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Maybe I'm absolutely crazy but this reminds me A LOT of the Man of Steel trailer from way back when.

Seriously, I just deja-vu'd all over the place.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
So a boring trailer that shows absolutely nothing, with a background narration of someone who just sounded bored with his job.
The Fantastic Four are not gritty characters, they're closer to a sitcom's dysfunctional family. We saw from Man of Steel just how well slamming anything into the "dark 'n' gritty" blender works, and it wasn't good. Marvel works so well because it lets it's movies channel the comics, not forcing the comic into a specified genre.
Yeah, not planing on seeing this one.
I still can't get over the fact that their Johnny Storm just seems to look like a better Reed Richards, and the Reed looks like he could pull off a better Johnny, even ignoring the whole black Johnny/white Susan thing.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
The best part of the original Fantastic Four movies was Chris Evans as Johnny Storm, because he was actually excited to be a super hero. They took the one part that worked and removed it.

On the plus side, I think the movie rights to the Fantastic Four will being going back to Marvel soon enough.

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
I'll wait and see what people think of the movie when it comes out before I decide to see it or not.

Also, Man of Steel was NOT dark and gritty, people. Not even close.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Dear god what the hell happened? How the hell does that type of train-wreck keep happening in Hollywood these days? Marvel showed these studios how to do it right, why is everyone trying to copy DC? I smell a flop, and even if it somehow isn't I think we all know how good it's going to be.

(On a sidenote, I don't know what it is about the trailer that makes me more irritated at this movie's existence then before it came out, but there just is something about it existing that makes me more upset then the news that had already come out before about it).

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
We're getting Fant-Four-astic?
Oh, thank goodness. I was worried they were actually going to try and do "Fantastic Four".

But, yeah, this may be an alright movie, but it's shaping up to be a terrible Fantastic Four film. Nothing I saw was remotely the tone of the comics.

Granted, Disney already nailed it with "The Incredibles".

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
As anti climactic as the Ant-Man teaser trailer was it was better than this Fant4stic trailer. And if you're going to use half assed leet in the title you have to use more the just a 4. Fantastic is Ph4nT45T1C in leet. I would also settle for F4n74s71c, or for the t impaired simple leet F4nt4st1c.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Well at least it looks like they've gone for a CG Thing, because dudes in suits just don't hack it for characters like the Thing.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Wow, I guess it's something when you can make a trailer that makes the movie look even worse than the other Fantastic Four movies. I thought Edge of Tomorrow was the height of generic trailers, but this is some sort of new level for bland, generic, and making your movie uninteresting.

With all the big movies attempting to perfect hype my feeling is that this movie is going to get clobbered in the race for the top box office. Maybe after this flop Marvel can get Doctor Doom back for cheap.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
tf2godz said:
is anyone else scare by the fact we don't see a good shot of the thing or no shots of doom in the suit. the cgi going suck isn't it.
I'm really not all that worried about the Thing, a bit worried about Doom, but that's more about the overall design...

But I am worried about Mister Fantastic. How are they going to realize his powers on screen without it coming across as ridiculous? Especially considering the overall tone of the movie.

Just go full fun and camp, that's the only way to do a F4 movie without coming across as unintentionally silly, or totally dismissive of the original material.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
"From the studio that brought you X-Men: Days of Future Past"

Really? Is that all you could come up with to try to sell the movie? Wheres the "From the director of _________" or "Starring _________"? Y'know? Something that actually matters?

*googles who made and is in the film*

Ohhhhhhhh...

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Just a quick topic to ask everyone: What did you all think of the Fantastic Four films by Tim Story and how does this trailer compare with your impressions?

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
So they're using the Ultimate U as inspiration then, I can't say i'm interested by the trailer but the aesthetic looks alright.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
As someone who knows enough about comics without reading them (I want to read them, but don't know where to start with most Marvel comics, so I stick to Batman), this does not look like Fantastic 4. Where is the brightness? The 2005 film, as poor as it was, was actually easy to look at and didn't look dull. But this...even the logo has been changed! Why fix what hasn't been broken?!

To be honest, this is 2 minutes of the film. I remember X Men First Class looking a bit meh when it came to stills and trailers, but it turned out to be the best X Men film of them all. But that wasn't going for a dark aesthetic (DoFP did, but the comic is that dark, so it suited the storyline). This...I need more footage, Fox.

Also, what I've heard about Dr Doom is awful. I know he's one of the best comic book villains, but as a hacker? Yeah, not buying it. Maybe the script will undergo rewrites or Kebbell was just kidding?

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Burnouts3s3 said:
Just a quick topic to ask everyone: What did you all think of the Fantastic Four films by Tim Story and how does this trailer compare with your impressions?
I liked them when they were released, but didn't have enough knowledge of the comics to really know how awful a representation of the Fantastic 4 they really were. Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis made them fun, but in hindsight that was probably the only saving grace. Also Jessica Alba, who was probably my first proper celebrity crush. Though Galactus was a travesty. HE'S A MASSIVE ALIEN DUDE, NOT A FUCKING CLOUD!

I still need to read the comics and find out why Dr Doom is so great a villain, because the film did not do him justice from what I've heard. This film won't harness how evil he is either, from what fans have been saying, so I will have to find all this stuff out for myself.

Can anyone recommend a good F4 storyline to read?

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
This trailer doesn't look all that bad to me, not like the previous FF trailers did. Sure it's a bit angsty, but it also feels a bit like a hard sci-fi story that turns into a super hero story.

I'm great with an alternate origins story. The original FF origin was printed in 61, right? That was about six months after the first American manned space flight. Now space flight doesn't have the mystique it once did, so perhaps they are trying something multidimensional. No spoiler, just speculation. They are still explorers so all is well.

My expectation is that once Marvel gets the rights back to the FF movies the new origin might be brainiac Reed Richards "screwing around with the terrigen mists" possibly under zero G conditions or something, in the hopes of creating a way to generate superhuman abilities in normal humans.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
That teaser was incredibly bland and forgettable. If it didn't say it was a FF film, I'd have thought it was just some generic sci-fi action/disaster movie.

I think it'll end up being a pretty mediocre movie, and a terrible Fantastic Four movie. As much as I disliked the other two FF movies, they did get the tone right and weren't afraid of (most of) the source material.