Fantastic Four Trailer Reveals Radical Re-Imagining

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
It looks like it will be a very mediocre movie and a very bad Fantastic Four adaptation. The tone of the trailer feels like it could give Nolan lessons in dark and gritty tho.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
I, for one, hate when trailers give away too much. The fact that this trailer showed us the theme of the film and introduced the characters without spoiling the whole damn movie is a positive in my book.

theNater

Feb 11, 2011
I've always said the Fantastic Four need to focus more on the sacrifices and consequences of exploration.

Wait, that doesn't sound right...

Never! I've never said that.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
tf2godz said:
is anyone else scare by the fact we don't see a good shot of the thing or no shots of doom in the suit. the cgi going suck isn't it.
Im not 100% but was Doom the guy laying on the bed at 1:31?

This movie looks so generic. Reminds me of the remake of Total Recall, nothing about that movies design/cgi to make it stand out from the crowd. Looks like they played it safe. I liked the look and feel of the last two FF movies.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Fantfourstic.
Looks dark, brooding, and far too serious. This is coming from someone who actually liked Man of Steel. The cast also look quite young, too young in Reed's case.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I was reallllly thinking this would be 100% turd, but I there was ONE thing I liked:
"What IS coming?" "The answers...".

More clever than I had given this credit for.
Then again, I gave it zero credit, so it's all uphill from here (just way, way, way not far enough uphill).

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Do they really have to do with the epic but emo look like Man of Steel. Sure I wasn't expecting another comedy like the first film but still.
Also judging from the description, is the Negative Zone will be in it?
Oh thank you. I was afraid I was the only one that could not see any difference between this and the Man of Steel trailer. It just looks absolutely and totally unappealing. Heck I thought the Ultimate FF books proved that FF does not work as a dark gritty deconstructionist reboot. FF is supposed to be a hopeful story of discovery. It's supposed to be classic Star Trek. Not The Dark Knight. Refgardless of any "controversial" changes if the filmakers cannot manage to recognize the most basic core elements and appeal of the property they are adapting, the adaption will suck hard. (Once again see Man of Steel.)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It wasn't that bad in my opinion. Part of me hates how they changed some things (evil blogger Doctor Doom, sorry, you kind of made me angry with that one). But I am optimistic about it. Especially with how well the studio has done with the XMen Reboot. We'll see what happens.

Also, I have dealt with the fact that it's not the FF I have always loved. As one of Marvel's first books, it filled in the gap for the Fantastic better than most books ever did.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
ShakerSilver said:
Fantfourstic.
Looks dark, brooding, and far too serious. This is coming from someone who actually liked Man of Steel. The cast also look quite young, too young in Reed's case.
That's because they seem to be basing it mostly on the godawful "Ultimate Fantastic Four" which was primarily "Dark Gritty Science Hogwarts with Reed as Harry Potter" instead of the 50 fucking years of good Fantastic Four Stories. (Well ok 40 fucking years of good stories... plus the 90's which we try and forget ever happened.)

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
V TheSystem V said:
Burnouts3s3 said:
Just a quick topic to ask everyone: What did you all think of the Fantastic Four films by Tim Story and how does this trailer compare with your impressions?
I liked them when they were released, but didn't have enough knowledge of the comics to really know how awful a representation of the Fantastic 4 they really were. Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis made them fun, but in hindsight that was probably the only saving grace. Also Jessica Alba, who was probably my first proper celebrity crush. Though Galactus was a travesty. HE'S A MASSIVE ALIEN DUDE, NOT A FUCKING CLOUD!

I still need to read the comics and find out why Dr Doom is so great a villain, because the film did not do him justice from what I've heard. This film won't harness how evil he is either, from what fans have been saying, so I will have to find all this stuff out for myself.

Can anyone recommend a good F4 storyline to read?
Galactus was not a cloud, he was IN the cloud. A giant man in a purple suit would've looked ridiculous.

faefrost said:
Scarim Coral said:
Do they really have to do with the epic but emo look like Man of Steel. Sure I wasn't expecting another comedy like the first film but still.
Also judging from the description, is the Negative Zone will be in it?
Oh thank you. I was afraid I was the only one that could not see any difference between this and the Man of Steel trailer. It just looks absolutely and totally unappealing. Heck I thought the Ultimate FF books proved that FF does not work as a dark gritty deconstructionist reboot. FF is supposed to be a hopeful story of discovery. It's supposed to be classic Star Trek. Not The Dark Knight. Refgardless of any "controversial" changes if the filmakers cannot manage to recognize the most basic core elements and appeal of the property they are adapting, the adaption will suck hard. (Once again see Man of Steel.)
Man of Steel was neither dark nor gritty. The best word would be serious. They took a certain aspect of the character (that of being an alien with powers alone on Earth) and explored what that would mean. Anyone who says they (the filmmakers) didn't 'get' the character doesn't know what they're talking about.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
IOwnTheSpire said:
I'll wait and see what people think of the movie when it comes out before I decide to see it or not.

Also, Man of Steel was NOT dark and gritty, people. Not even close.
Man of Steel wasn't a lot of things, least of all, a Superman movie.

IOwnTheSpire said:
Man of Steel was neither dark nor gritty. The best word would be serious. They took a certain aspect of the character (that of being an alien with powers alone on Earth) and explored what that would mean. Anyone who says they (the filmmakers) didn't 'get' the character doesn't know what they're talking about.
So, because they focused on that one aspect of the character, that means that they "get" the character? The Clark Kent in that movie is all over the place: He wants to save people/He wants to enact petty revenge over a truck driver and his livelihood, He wants to stop Zod and save his adopted homeworld but does nothing to prevent collateral damage, He shouts to the heavens in sadness over killing Zod and the next scene he's kissing and joking with Lois over the crater that was Metropolis. How exactly did the film makers "get" the character again?

OT: It looks like a stock sci-fi film with Ultimate Fantastic Four elements sprinkled in.

Probably going to be okay. The general public will support it, but hardcore fanbase have already tuned this thing out on the grounds that Johnny and Sue aren't the same skin tone.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Can you guys ever not just jump to bash something if it has a different tone or direction than from what the Marvel guys are doing?

There isn't enough here to properly assess. But yet so many of you are jumping on the "it's gonna suck" bandwagon because it's not bright or aesthetically faithful to the comics like some other studios movies.

Sorry this is all just kind of bottled up from all the X-Men movie bashing.

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
circularlogic88 said:
IOwnTheSpire said:
I'll wait and see what people think of the movie when it comes out before I decide to see it or not.

Man of Steel wasn't a lot of things, least of all, a Superman movie.

IOwnTheSpire said:
So, because they focused on that one aspect of the character, that means that they "get" the character? The Clark Kent in that movie is all over the place: He wants to save people/He wants to enact petty revenge over a truck driver and his livelihood, He wants to stop Zod and save his adopted homeworld but does nothing to prevent collateral damage, He shouts to the heavens in sadness over killing Zod and the next scene he's kissing and joking with Lois over the crater that was Metropolis. How exactly did the film makers "get" the character again?
They got that Clark has an inherent need to help people, even if it means exposing his identity (which of course Jonathan told him not to). The truck thing... I'll admit that was dumb. You talk about not preventing collateral damage, it's kind of hard to focus on that when there's someone actively trying to kill you. People bring up the fact that the Avengers were trying to protect people; there were six of them, but Superman is still just one person. He also kissed Lois before his big fight with Zod; after he killed him, it cuts to an unknown amount of time later. We don't know how much longer, but it's not fair to say he got over it really quickly (it'll likely come up in BvS).

I'm not going to say Man of Steel was perfect, but I thought it was a good movie AND a good Superman movie. It was a fresh take on the character, rather than something we've seen before.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
IOwnTheSpire said:

Really? Besides Supes' costume (and even the red and blue there were heavily muted!), the entire color palette of that movie was comprised of grey, black, and brown... and there wasn't a single iota of humor in the entire film.

If that doesn't qualify as "dark and gritty", what does?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'll be honest, I...kinda like it.

Yeah, it's by the numbers, and you could apply the film to almost any sci-fi flick and generate the same result, but I didn't see anything "dark and gritty" in it. If anything, it's taking a more mature look at the subject. At the least, it's a welcome change from the usual tripe Marvel Studious usually gives out. At the end of the day, I'd rather have a good film that stands on its own than one whose first priority is being faithful to source material, its own merits a secondary concern.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Burnouts3s3 said:
Just a quick topic to ask everyone: What did you all think of the Fantastic Four films by Tim Story and how does this trailer compare with your impressions?
I didn't think they were terrible. Just bland and completely forgettable with some fairly awful dialogue.

This looks.... better. Though, not fantastic or anything.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Chester Rabbit said:
Can you guys ever not just jump to bash something if it has a different tone or direction than from what the Marvel guys are doing?

There isn't enough here to properly assess. But yet so many of you are jumping on the "it's gonna suck" bandwagon because it's not bright or aesthetically faithful to the comics like some other studios movies.

Sorry this is all just kind of bottled up from all the X-Men movie bashing.
I agree. The only thing about the trailer was for me, that it didn't really show much of anything. Which sometimes can be a saving grace for a film, that way you can go in and be surprised. I'll wait to see more before I can really form an early impression of it.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
"8 . 7 . 15 #FantasticFour"

Underneath in really really really small writing

Hopefully you'll have forgotten about Age Of Ultron by then

But, yeah the whole serious face tone to the trailer, well I'll wait and see after all the most recent Ultron trailer was more than a tad serious. So who knows maybe the next F4 trailer will deliver the fun?

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
This could have been a trailer for Interstellar. It has the same tone and much of the imagery of the earlier trailers.

The previous iteration of movies seemed deliberately silly (and I didn't enjoy them), but this looks too serious for the setup they're using. It's cool when a movie/comic/TV show successfully incorporates and executes some seemingly universal, transcendent principle or theme. That's the sort of stuff that gets cemented in many young minds and carries into how many of us enjoy fiction as adults. Unfortunately, I can't think of any successful examples which teased the expectation of that payoff in the very first trailer. The last bit of the trailer featuring its only dialog is also underwhelming.

The trailer doesn't do much to change my tepid enthusiasm for the film. Really, my criticisms are only problematic in respect to the rest of the production. We won't have to wait that much longer to see how it lands and we have two Marvel movies to look forward to in the mean time.