Far Cry 3, is a better RPG than Skyrim.

Festus Moonbear

Feb 20, 2013
The difference for me is that Skyrim actually knows what it is, while Far Cry 3 just wants to be everyone's best friend. I can almost see the FC3 developers sitting round a table saying, 'So people like Skyrim, right? So lets put in some levelling, dungeons, magical objects (compass) and flowers to make magic potions that let you see through walls and resist fire. And people like Red Dead Redemption and GTA, right? So let's put in some poker, racing, hunting and skinning animals and lots of random encounters, and people saying 'fuck.' And people like Call of Duty and Medal of Honour, right? So let's put in some generic gunplay and big colourful signs on top of all the objectives and enemies' heads, and hold the player's hand as much as we can. Oh, and a couple of people liked FC2, I suppose, so best put some fire in. Tada!'

The whole time I'm playing FC3 I can hear the game shrieking at me, 'Like me, like me, like me!' And I do like it, I guess, but all in all I prefer a game that knows what it is and invites you in if you're interested - like Skyrim. I only started Skyrim a couple of weeks ago but it has basically cast its shadow over every other game I play because of how immersive it is. Yeah there's some grinding, but that's kind of the point of an RPG and if it feels like a chore you probably just don't like RPGs. I spent six hours last night doing nothing but working on my house and making fittings for it (Hearthfire DLC). A chore to be sure, but a hugely enjoyable one. Skyrim is a game where I never feel rushed, while in FC3 I feel like it just wants me to barrel ahead to the next objective - it even feels the need to give me permission from time to time to 'explore the island and come when you're ready', something which should be a given in a sandbox game and not need pointing out. That looks like something they added after playtesting to me, because people weren't feeling the need to spend any more time than necessary free roaming. Skyrim is the opposite - I never feel pressured to go off on an adventure, but do so when the moment seizes me. Again, just like an RPG.

The case could be made that FC3 is a better game, although that's subjective of course and I certainly prefer Skyrim. But FC3 a better RPG? Not if the term 'RPG' means anything.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I didn't like Far Cry 3- there was a huge segregation between gameplay and story that took me out of the whole game. Also, does FC3 actually have any RPG elements? You can get upgrades for yourself... but you can get all of them, and it's not particularly difficult.
Literally yes FC3 is a role playing game as you play a role... but by that standards XCOM is an RPG, and so is CoD, Assassin's Creed and even FIFA. I didn't find any way in the game to make myself different than my other playthroughs... Save the gun camo I guess.
Also I thought the crafting wasn't better in any way. You got the hides, you got the upgrades. That's not exactly in-depth, especially not compared to Skyrim where you have to discover the traits of the ingredients and then experiment by making potions to find the best combinations.
Since when did looks make a game an RPG anyway? Or story (for which I prefer Skyrim's)
But I'm biased. Skyrim is my second favourite game from my favourite developer... Far Cry 3 is just Far Cry 2 with some bits added and some bits removed.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Soopy said:
The reasons I say that Far Cry 3 is a better RPG than Skyrim;

***reasons***

Obviously, this is all pretty much subjective opinion. But it's what I genuinely think, I'm not even sure that Far Cry 3 is considered an RPG, but based on the properties of what both games offer and the fact that Skyrim IS considered an RPG, I feel that the comparison is somewhat valid.

What do you think?
I think in that first sentence I've quoted there, you should change the word 'RPG' for 'game'. Do that and your point works for your opinion and perspective.

Now I've not played Far Cry 3 yet so correct me if I'm wrong here. Sure, Skyrim and Far Cry 3 might have a lot of similar elements in the realm of gameplay: open world; non-linear progression; levelling up; skills; range of available equipment fitting various playstyles; crafting; etc. But the difference is here: in Skyrim you create a character: choose their sex, appearance, race, name and so on. You then play through the game, choose what sort of person you're going to be and how they are aligned. This is part of what makes Skyrim an RPG. In Far Cry 3 you are always the same guy. Sure, in different playthroughs you might allocate your skills differently and play a sniper-type as opposed to a balls-out thug, but in the end you're the same guy making the same sort of progression through the same story. This is what makes Far Cry 3 not an RPG.

YazBar

Jun 23, 2010
I couldn't agree more. I love TES games, but I hate what they did to Skyrim. Taking out the classes and the system of Attributes governing over Skills really ruined character building for me. It becomes too unfocused and on top of that, they really limited the magic in the game. For example, Alteration used to be about alter-ing the world around you, used for things like: walking on water, burdening opponents, unlocking doors, levitation, etc... Now its just basically centered around making defense barriers plus one or two other spells (which were originally part of different magic skills), which was only ONE of its uses back then. I mean its ridiculous to have an orc and a wood elf run and jump at the exact same speed and high from the get go with no development. I liked the visual aesthetics of Skyrim being reminiscent of Morrowind, but compared to Morrowind and Oblivion, Skyrim as a gameworld is just unoriginal. I dunno what kind of weird Viking/Norse phase Bethesda was going through, but I sure hope they got it out of their systems.

Better name would have been, The Elder Scrolls V: Have We Mentioned We're Really Into Vikings ATM?

EDIT: Maybe FC3 isn't great for Roleplay, but it handles its RPG elements better. Then again, its kinda difficult to Roleplay as anything other than a Nord in Skyrim. I tried role-playing in skyrim as a Dark Elf, and the only way I could do that is by not getting involved in the civil war, ignoring the main quest, the companions' questline, and the Thieves guild questline. It just makes you feel like you don't belong, I mean I don't fucking want to be Mr. Big Viking hero who yells at dragons and hopes to end up in Sovngard (aka "pretend Valhalla"). As far as my Dunmer character is concerned, Skyrim can fuck off, why should I save them from dragons?!

End rant.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Dunno what other people mean by RPG. When I use that term I mean progression mechanics. Most people use "RPG-elements" to mean some sort of subtle progression system within another genre. RPGs tend to use progression as a central theme, so that your character starts off, both in gameplay and in the story, as a relative insignificant but grows in strength as the game goes on. That's what I mean by it anyway.

But, like, pretty much everything has some sort of RPG-elements in it now. Especially in that umbrella "Action Adventure" genre (now what the hell does that one mean?). And then it's a fine line between an RPG and a game with RPG-elements; probably boils down to elitism more than anything. I haven't played Farcry 3 yet so I can't really say one way or the other.

Benni88

Oct 13, 2011
The general gist of the convo appears to be:

-Don't compare an FPS with RPG elements to a First Person RPG.
-If you prefer FarCry as a game, just say it
-Both games have limited crafting.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Ok... An RPG is a game where you can take on the role of a character, and you can make the decisions on how they develop, how they interact with the world and eventually how they turn out in the end! A good RPG will allow you to develop your character in vastly different play styles, effecting how you go about completing levels/fights/missions at the very least. (IMO)

Far Cry 3 doesn't let you do much of that at all... the only development options for your character don't really change the way you play at all... it just increases your capability! That is all indications of development in an action game!

The reason the crafting in Skyrim is much more in depth is initially due to the way you have to do lots of it to level up. You initially start with basic skills, and have to develop them with practice to make and improve better levels of armour... You then have the much more in depth enchanting, which is part of Skyrims crafting mechanic... Far Cry has nothing close... all it has is a really weird 'match the animal skins to the upgrade' mechanic... Please someone explain how I upgraded my wallet using the skins of 2 entire sharks!!?

Far Cry 3 is a great game... I am not denying that! I had loads of fun with it... and I loved how dynamic the gameplay was at times. But it was no RPG... You were Jason fucking Brody... and that was just about it... you played a winey teen, who didn't have much going for him, and you didn't have the chance to do much to change that!

If Far Cry is an RPG, then so is Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Gears of War, Enslaved, and many many more!

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
i think many games are better than Skyrim but it's all subjective.

Don't compare FPS with RPG, Far Cry 3 and Skyrim are very different games! What game is best out of those two is matter of personal preference.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Soopy said:
Obviously, this is all pretty much subjective opinion.
I was in an agreeable position until I read this line. I haven't played FC3, but I was interested in how it stacked up to Skyrim in terms of RPGness, as Skyrim isn't deep enough to wash your hands in. You had a nice list of reasonable points, and you came to a good conclusion. And then you said that, and your entire line of rational and objective thought was washed down the drain. Have confidence in what you say, otherwise don't say anything at all.

Capitano Segnaposto said:
1.) It is NOT AN RPG. It is a First Person Shooter set in an Open World.
2.) Don't Compare games of two different genre's.
3.) Don't Compare Games. Each game is different. Leave it at that -_-

1.) So? If it is a better RPG, it is a better RPG. If it has better combat, it has better first-person combat.
2.) Genre is irrelevant when comparing the same aspects of two games, which the OP did.
3.) So if we can't compare games, what is a good game? What is a bad game? What should I spend my time on? What should I spend my money on? Should we ignore the successes or mistakes of other games because "we can't compare them"?

jrobson68

Jun 2, 2010
None of things listed by OP was in anyway related to rpgs, though far cry 3 is a better rpg by default as it actually has rpg elements, even if they're a little limited

Anton Qvarfordt

Jan 28, 2012
Alright easy now OP... Easiiiiie!

It's fine to think Far Cry 3 is a better game, but it is inarguably not a better RPG. And absolutely not for the reasons you described, if it were to possibly be in any corner of the imagination.

Also more memorable characters doesnt nessecarily mean better characters. Vahz(or whatever his name was), certainly was memorable, but the character makes pretty much no sense and much of his written dialogue clearly has the only direction "write a bunch of crazy things that he says",and it doesn't really add up to a believeable character. Although being cartoony is fine, it's an especially bad fit for RPGs.... ALSO, your lead villain being "over the top" isnt really an excuse for nonsensical dialogue, you can be over the top, crazy and cartoony while still having a sense of motivation behind what his saying.

So.. you know.. Just no.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Soopy said:
The reasons I say that Far Cry 3 is a better RPG than Skyrim;

1; The Combat is FAR better.
Yeah, for the most part it is.

Soopy said:
2; The crafting system functions much nicer and doesn't break the game.
It doesn't break the game, but it's profoundly limited to the point of being utterly perfunctory.

Soopy said:
3; The graphical fidelity and aesthetic choices are far and away better.
Graphical fidelity, yes. Aesthetic choices...that's debatable.

Soopy said:
4; The characters are far and a way better. The way they interact with the player character, the way they are scripted and the way the story is imparted is just leagues ahead of what Skyrim provides.
Yeah I'd agree with that. It has a pretty small stable of characters though, and an ENTIRELY linear set piece based story. It's not really a fair comparison. Skyrim is an intentional sandbox that is trying to maximize player choice. Things will be watered down as a result. But yes, Far Cry 3 had some truly excellent characterizations.

Soopy said:
5; The story - thus far - is way better. It's pacing, its delivery and its content is just better. Skyrim had allot of potential, it had a great pretense and idea, it just fell on its face from a great height with its delivery.
Again, comparing pacing and delivery is a total apples and oranges situation. Far Cry 3 is a set piece based action game. There are some superficial sandbox elements, but at its heart it's a story heavy shooter. And if you want, you can fuck the pacing just as hard as you can in Skyrim by dropping the main quest and spending 30 hours stabbing Tapirs in the undergrowth.

Soopy said:
Obviously, this is all pretty much subjective opinion. But it's what I genuinely think, I'm not even sure that Far Cry 3 is considered an RPG, but based on the properties of what both games offer and the fact that Skyrim IS considered an RPG, I feel that the comparison is somewhat valid.
It's a shooter/RPG hybrid, most effectively compared to games like Dishonored or Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I mean, Dishonored has MUCH better pacing than Planescape Torment. It does not necessarily make it a better RPG.

Soopy said:
What do you think?
I think Far Cry 3 is an excellent game and I'm glad you're liking it so much. Very different animal than Skyrim though.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
To me the big weakness in Skyrim is pacing. It is incredibly easy to distract yourself with meaningless side quests and totally miss the more meaty "real" quests. It can get to the point where I feel like I'm a dog chasing my tail- just running around in circles because there is so much going on. Skyrim represents the challenge of sandbox gaming, how do you give players freedom to do whatever they want without breaking the game to make it unfun. I havent played FarCry, but perhaps the pacing in the game is better, and thats why you like it more?

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
So in other words, it's like Skyrim, WITH GUNS?!

Both are different games, which is better than which is an opinion.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I will be playing Skyrim for the next 4+ years atleast. Once I get the last couple of achievements in FC3, its likely going to stay shelved. Plus you are comparing apples to oranges. FC3 is a linear focused game witha pre-made character. Sure you can ignore the story and go hunting or whatever, but for how long is that viable? In Skyrim I am who I want to be. Both styles have their place, and I am no way saying FC3 is a bad game, but its not a game that you can directly compare to Skyrim.