Farming Simulator 2013 Wins Gamescom

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Speaking as someone who spent the first 18 years of my life living/working on a ranch... I have NO interest in this game. I imagine it will be like when I played LA Noir (I'm a cop) and I'll just sit there fussing about the things that are inaccurate or exaggerated.
Maybe if will make some kids want to grow up to be farmers since there are less and less of them in the united states every year.

ShogunBarbarian said:
my question is who is this aimed at? farmers?

don't farmers you know farm?
When I was a kid I received as gifts from older family members (also farmers and ranchers) quite frequently 'farm set' toys which were kind of like green army men except with more colors and farm oriented. Tonka tractor toys, metal ones not these new-fangled plastic ones, were also very common. Farmers/rancher have a hard time imagining or encouraging their children to be anything other than a farmer/rancher.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Just look at those beauties! They're all here: Case IH, Kuhn, Kramer, Agroliner, even the massive, super-hot new Grimme harvesters! It's glorious green and resplendent red as far as the eye can see! And holy crapamolie, is that an OCO 850 with an inverted-arm quad-disc thresher attachment I see? That baby's not even in production yet!
Kuhn is so one note: "Hi we making good seeding equipment and NOTHING ELSE worthwhile"
Kramer can't decide between using metric or standard on even the [a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_(device)]Governor[/a]
Agroliner- Why yes I'll give a 50% extra markup for your name.
Case? Man that's like buying an Escalade to haul lumber.

Inverted-arm qua... that's just gibberish fella.

I see a serious lack of round balers in this game.

like anyone other than pumpkin patch posers uses rectangle balers anymore.

Feb 28, 2008
I heard that in order to level up in this game you have to do a lot of farming ...

Oh I'm so sorry. But honestly, unless you can go on a combine harvester rampage with this game, I don't see the appeal.

blueb0g

Oct 9, 2010
As someone who plays a fair bit of simulator games (Train & Flight simulator, although to be fair FS isn't that niche and I'm also a real life pilot so I guess it balances out) the article was a bit too barbed. Say what you want Andy, the truth is you were poking fun at the game and the developers for trying to mix with the "proper" devs & games at gamescom, which is not on.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
let's all forget for a moment about the intentions and look at this as a completely straight played article

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
Wow. Way to arrogantly dump on a developer, Andy. I mean seriously wtf? You may not take them seriously but they have just as much right to be at Gamescom as any other dev. If this were say maybe an article on Cracked or some other humor site I'd have found it funny, but an insulting bit like this has no business on a news site.

I'm just stunned. I never thought I'd find myself saying this but I've really lost a large amount of respect for this site because of this.
Don't be so fickle and melodramatic, it's a joke article ... like at the end of the news they always end on a light story and you don't lose respect for the news, do you? You don't lose respect over one light hearted article, if you do, then your respect isn't worth much (I can't remember who said that)

They are pretty brave to use so much money going to gamescom, I am pretty sure there stand will be pretty much empty. For a niche game half a million over 2 countries is decent but I doubt they will attracted many people at gamescom

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Now, do you feel better about yourself? Good. Now go and rewrite the article so that it doesn't portray you as the literate version of an xbox live child, and you may be worthy of being called a churnalist.

Absolutely insulting, really. You're doing yourself no favors with this article.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Wow, this shit is awesome!!! Pre-ordered and buying all the DLC, can't wait to ride bitchin tractors and slaughter chickens with pro skillz. I wonder how many tractor models there are, I hope they include 4x4s aswell.

Ympulse said:
Andy Chalk said:
Now, do you feel better about yourself? Good. Now go and rewrite the article so that it doesn't portray you as the literate version of an xbox live child, and you may be worthy of being called a churnalist.

Absolutely insulting, really. You're doing yourself no favors with this article.
You're doing yourself no favours with this post. Either you love farming sim and somehow took offence where there was none, or you couldn't detect the sarcasm/irony in the article and can't stand that some people might actually enjoy Farming Simulator.

The article is only half-ironic, it's plausible that it's had an increase in attention and popularity recently and I don't think 500,000 sales would be far off the mark.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
MorganL4 said:
I can't tell if the article was written sarcastically or not....

I mean 500,000 copies in 2 countries for a farming sim seems like pretty good numbers to me, I mean we are not talking COD number expectations here.
fuck. I cant get this song out of my head now XD

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
All I could think of when I saw this was

Except threshers instead of dunebuggies.

WHEAT THRESHERS!!!! WOOOO!!!

Actually..Its much like a lot of simulation games, like baseball, golf, flying, etc It might be enjoyable, but its nothing compared to the real thing.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
MammothBlade said:
Either you love farming sim and somehow took offence where there was none, or you couldn't detect the sarcasm/irony in the article and can't stand that some people might actually enjoy Farming Simulator.
The article is an oblique insult to the concept that a simulation game is given screen time at a convention, wrapped in sarcasm as a defense.

Really, is that what you want gaming journalism to be? Because I actually would like to see the industry as a whole (press included) mature past this kind of drivel.

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
Andy Chalk said:
PS. There's actually no such thing as an OCO 850 with inverted-arm quad-disc thresher attachment. I made that up.
What the hell, man. What the hell. I TRUSTED you guys!

OP: I'm assuming these are the same guys who made the Railworks: Train Simulator game. Those guys are jerks. They have two thousand dollars worth of DLC on their game. I wanted to play a train simulator, not pay for an actual train's worth of DLC.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Based on the title of this alone I preordered the game thinking that it was serious. Note to self: Read everything before preordering a sim -_-

Cobalt Lion

Nov 4, 2010
Judgement101 said:
Based on the title of this alone I preordered the game thinking that it was serious. Note to self: Read everything before preordering a sim -_-
Ooh, ouch. Well, I guess you reap what you sow.

Huh? Eh? Okay, I'll stop.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The real irony is that I'm probably the only one in here who's ever actually worked on a farm.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The real irony is that I'm probably the only one in here who's ever actually worked on a farm.
*****, Please, I live on one, West of Ireland, Spent all my live around tractors and cows.
Please kill me now...