Faster than light travel.

Skooterz

Jul 22, 2009
Abedeus said:
Yeah, of course I meant mass. Forgive me, it's hard to think in Polish and use English at the same time ;p
No problem, man. Easy mistake to make.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
It has been suggested that it would be possible to drive an object along at faster-than-light speeds by contracting the space in front of it and expanding the space behind it (or something). However, this would require negative mass, which we do not have.

Lemon Of Life said:
We split the atom. It will only be a matter of time before we achieve this, technology is advancing at an incredible rate.
The big difference between splitting the atom and travelling faster than light is that splitting the atom is not forbidden by the laws of physics.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I never really think it would be impossible, but Im pretty sure it would be something crazy like out of an Alastair Reynolds book. Like that ship in Chasm City that was powered by a wormhole into pre-big bang to take fuel from the quark soup, then used that fuel to make wormholes to travel faster through space- which even then, took a LONG TIME to get anywhere

Skooterz

Jul 22, 2009
A13X T3h NubCak3 said:
Even Photons have mass when travelling at the speed of light.
I've never understood why they have so little mass when travelling that quickly. Shouldn't they, by the very theory you mentioned, have infinite mass?

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
kelsyk said:
Captain Blackout said:
Ooo Ooo Ooo!!!!!!

We may already have FTL!

Quantum entanglement!

If I remember correctly, it's possible to send 1's and 0's a FTL speed. Ok, it's just data, but:

INTERGALACTIC EVE ONLINE!!!!!!!!!!
Quantum entanglement might work but has at least two serious flaws. First, we can't control whether a one or a zero is sent until after it has been sent. Second, the energy and difficulty of entangling particles increases the further away from each other they are. Meaning that either you need to entangle the particles at home and send one a sub-light speed to the destination of we need to develop much better methods for entangling particles. On the upside however, the information transfer is (as far as we can tell) instantaneous, regardless of distance. I know this because I spent a summer as a lab assistant at the Institute of Quantum Computing.

Personally I believe that humans will one day find ways to effectively travel faster then light. I have no idea how, but I think we they will. My reasoning is simple.

It would be AWESOME.

The universe is made of awesome stuff that allows us to do awesome things (like fly). FTL is so awesome that there must be a way for it to be possible.
Ya know, I used to believe that bit about having no control over the data sent. It kept the universe sensible. Then a read a host of articles (I'll have to search for them later) showing how that really isn't the case, that we can can control the data. My head popped.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I believe that the commonly accepted theory is that you can't go faster, but you can make distances shorter. If you accept that, technically yes. Practically, I seriously doubt we will ever travel faster then light, even technically. Make something go faster then light, maybe. But probably not travel. I seem to remember that it would require energy that exceeds the energy in all the stars in the galaxy, or somthing to that effect.

Aft3rShock

May 2, 2008
Lemon Of Life said:
We split the atom. It will only be a matter of time before we achieve this, technology is advancing at an incredible rate.
Agreed. Technological ability of the human race over time has shown to increase exponentially. In the past 50 years we've done as much as most of history combined. If we can survive long enough, we will develop ways of FTL travel. Whether by altering space to achieve pseudo-FTL travel or another method.
ex: IF time travel where possible you could theoretically travel to a different time, travel to your intended destination, and re-enter your original time. This is pseudo-FTL in that you don't really go any distance faster than light, but by warping back immediately after ur departure time u can cover long distances in what seems to any onlookers as a mere instant.

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
A13X T3h NubCak3 said:
REAL SCIENCE ANSWER BELOW

Im a physicist.. its impossible for a body to move faster than the speed of light. There are some principles involving close to light speed travel but you have to take into account Enistiens equation E=mc^2 where as you gain more energy you increase in MASS.. which in turn slows you down (this is really simply put... increase in E would increase M because C is constant... E being energy M being Mass and C being the speed of light 3x10^8)

Even Photons have mass when travelling at the speed of light.
I'm not buying it. One, everyone is a physicist on the net. I'm not trying to denigrate you, just pointing out that from where I sit, how do I really know you are? Two, impossible means you've found that Einstein is the be all end all. What happens when we understand the Higgs field, and then begin to manipulate it? Yeah, I might be waaay off on that point, but the real point is this: At any moment we could make a discovery that throws Einstein 'out the window', as in, his science and math are still right on but for practical purposes we have a new science and math that throw Einstein into a whole new light. Three, photons have mass? What? Source or it didn't happen. Ok, that sounded terrible. Can you link me an article explaining the mass of photons?

Zero-Vash

Apr 1, 2009
All the above theories of bending space is the most likely way to travel "faster" than light. Meaning you get there before light does. The real problem with all these theories is we have no idea what would happen if it became possible. The energy needed to accomplish a feat like that would be huge. Unleashing such a force has a chance of ruining where you left or where you are going making it impractical.

I believe that it will someday be possible to travel as fast as light practically. But not faster.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Koeryn said:
oppp7 said:
Does anyone believe it is possible? If so, how would it be?
Yes, depending on the method used.
KillerMidget said:
That just reminded me of Warhammer 40K's idea, the "Warp".

I also remembered the concept of travelling short distances by "folding" the universe. I forget the details.
Actually, the idea is that the universe IS folded, and to travel quickly from place to place, you simply go THROUGH the folds.
Didnt you guys see Event Horizon.

Who knows where it might go.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
It is attainable, theoretically, through warp drive. The concept of warp drive is actually quite simple. There is an absolute standard for how fast something is moving and that standard is how fast an object is moving relative to the space around it. (Note: Relativity results from the fact that you can never tell how fast you're moving as you would have to do that from your own perspective.) However, space itself can move and the speed at which it can move has no limit. Imagine swimming though a river. If the water is static you must move against it and hence you can't swim that fast. However, you are moving with the current you can very fast (imagine how fast you'd be moving if you're about to fall over a waterfall!). Note that any object you want to reach in the current would be moving along with the current so you might as well be in static water. However, if you start at one point along the shoreline and want to reach another point along the shoreline this example works great to illustrate the concept of warp drive.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
They've been able to reverse the spin on electrons faster than it would take for an EM wave (light wave) to travel between the two particles. As with all cool stuff in physics, they have no idea why/how.

Yes, I believe it's possible, but not with our knowledge of physics at the moment.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
EpicPanda said:
There's also the string theory.

It states that time is like a piece of string, and to get from one spot to another, you simply fold the string together to put them next to eachother.
Err...

Eh?

ParadoxBG

Dec 24, 2009
Datalord said:
Well, einstein hypothesized that if you approach light speed, time slows down, but to my knowledge, this is only the theory that currently makes the most sense, and hasn't been verified with an experiment,

In short, we think not
Actually, this was verified. I can't quote any sources, unfortunately, it was a long time ago, but scientists placed two perfectly synched clocks, one on the ground and one on the fastest supersonic jet then available. They had the jet fly around as fast as it was able (still a ridiculously small fraction of the speed of light) and when they looked at it again, the jet clock was a tiny fraction of a second behind the control clock.

Like I said, it was a long time ago, so I may have fudged some of the details. Anyone recognize this experiment?

Keshihead

Jun 15, 2009
It'd be awesome if faster than light travel WAS possible, but would the human body be able to withstand the sheer amount of force placed on it?

ParadoxBG

Dec 24, 2009
OT: Oh, we always manage to worm our way past "it can't be done". I have certainty we'll either figure it out or die in flames.

Either way it ought to be a good time, eh?

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Datalord said:
Well, einstein hypothesized that if you approach light speed, time slows down, but to my knowledge, this is only the theory that currently makes the most sense, and hasn't been verified with an experiment,

In short, we think not
They've done this experiment, without even approaching the speed of light.

NASA has taken two clocks, set them to the same time. Kept one on the ground, sent one into earth-orbit on a. Had the one in orbit make several 'high' speed orbits, and then brought it back down. Sure enough it was behind the one on the ground. It even happens in tall clock towers...given it takes decades to have a very small difference, nonetheless it still occurs.