Faster than light travel.

Donttazemehbro

Nov 24, 2009
.... okay here is my theory. U know how we can jump on the moon, because we are lighter and our legs are stronger. So if you reduced the mass of a spaceship to 0 then it could theoretically go faster than the speed of light. This is Mass effect's idea. If you reduce the mass of something to 0 it should be able to go FTL.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Can I throw a new spanner in the works, let's skip over the drive need to power this FTL device, this skip the vast amount of energy that would more than likely be needed and lets look at a more fundamental aspect.

May I link you to Red Dwarf for the introduction to my statement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSt1Kshj1QA

Ineffect if you are travelling at lightspeed you need to either have point to point travel with no deviation, that in effect would require highly accurate stellar maps and confirmation that their is no stellar objects in the way that could cause damage. We aren't talking planets here, stellar dust would do a vast amount of damage to a spacecraft if it hit it at lightspeed.

Failing that you would need to create a computer system that could scan process and then relay commands to it's control thrusters faster than the speed of light, you not only have to solve the issue of making the vessel travel at faster than light speed you have to also solve the issue of making it capable of computing navigation information at a speed faster than light, in effect doing things before they happen.

So will true FTL ever be a reality, no, a very definite NO, will ftl via space folding or some other form of sub space trickery be possible, hmm maybe.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Donttazemehbro said:
.... okay here is my theory. U know how we can jump on the moon, because we are lighter and our legs are stronger. So if you reduced the mass of a spaceship to 0 then it could theoretically go faster than the speed of light. This is Mass effect's idea. If you reduce the mass of something to 0 it should be able to go FTL.
Actually, something with a mass of zero can only reach light speed. It still can't go faster.

Donttazemehbro

Nov 24, 2009
Maze1125 said:
Donttazemehbro said:
Actually, something with a mass of zero can only reach light speed. It still can't go faster.
Anything that weights more than 0 can only reach the speed of light, it didnt say anything about somthing that weights exactly nothing.

PinkAngelKitty

Jan 24, 2010
Donttazemehbro said:
Maze1125 said:
Donttazemehbro said:
Anything that weights more than 0 can only reach the speed of light, it didnt say anything about somthing that weights exactly nothing.
Everything WEIGHS 0 in space, man. We're talking about MASS here.

And not even electrons have a mass above zero. So what you're talking about is strictly theoretical and therefore not possible.

Donttazemehbro

Nov 24, 2009
PinkAngelKitty said:
Donttazemehbro said:
Maze1125 said:
Donttazemehbro said:

And not even electrons have a mass above zero. So what you're talking about is strictly theoretical and therefore not possible.
Semantics. In theory is something that may be possible, we wil lnever know as it will probably not happen in our lifetimes

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
Should Warp Drive become a reality, and you can in fact warp from one place to another through wormholes, I'd like to point out that you, yourself doing the travelling, will not be going faster than light. That is fundamentally impossible. It will, however, appear that you travelled faster than light to other people.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Donttazemehbro said:
Maze1125 said:
Donttazemehbro said:
No, things that have mass greater than zero can't reach the speed of light.
Only things with zero rest mass, such as photons, can travel at the speed of light.
Nothing with a real value of mass can travel faster.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'm sure we could find something in order to do it. We have particle smashers already so, probably something involving those.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
i don't know much about physics, but I think nothing is faster than light.

vehystrix

Nov 18, 2009
Maze1125 said:
Donttazemehbro said:
Maze1125 said:
Donttazemehbro said:
Only things with zero rest mass, such as photons, can travel at the speed of light.
Just thinking here, but anti-matter, does it have negative mass? If so, we could go FTL by putting enough anti-matter into something

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
vehystrix said:
Maze1125 said:
Donttazemehbro said:
Maze1125 said:
Donttazemehbro said:
Just thinking here, but anti-matter, does it have negative mass? If so, we could go FTL by putting enough anti-matter into something
No, anti-matter still has positive mass.

PinkAngelKitty

Jan 24, 2010
Donttazemehbro said:
PinkAngelKitty said:
Donttazemehbro said:
Maze1125 said:
Donttazemehbro said:

Semantics. In theory is something that may be possible, we wil lnever know as it will probably not happen in our lifetimes
Uh no it's not semantics. Weight has to do with the normal force that one exerts on a surface, hence why it changes depending on location. Mass is a constant for each object. And it will happen never, because it's physically impossible.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
PinkAngelKitty said:
Mass is a constant for each object.
No it isn't.

Mass is constant in total, but can easily be transferred from one object to another.

PinkAngelKitty

Jan 24, 2010
Maze1125 said:
PinkAngelKitty said:
No it isn't.

Mass is constant in total, but can easily be transferred from one object to another.
The fact that it is a constant was my point. Didn't want to further confuse this person, as he clearly doesn't know what he is talking about. Thanks for buttin' in.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
PinkAngelKitty said:
Maze1125 said:
PinkAngelKitty said:
No it isn't.

The fact that it is a constant was my point. Didn't want to further confuse this person, as he clearly doesn't know what he is talking about. Thanks for buttin' in.
The difference between "mass being constant in each object" and "mass being constant in total" is quite important.

PinkAngelKitty

Jan 24, 2010
Maze1125 said:
PinkAngelKitty said:
Maze1125 said:
PinkAngelKitty said:
No it isn't.

The difference between "mass being constant in each object" and "mass being constant in total" is quite important.
Not for this argument it isn't.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
PinkAngelKitty said:
Maze1125 said:
PinkAngelKitty said:
Maze1125 said:
PinkAngelKitty said:
No it isn't.

Not for this argument it isn't.
Yes it is.
If mass was constant for each object then there would be no problem accelerating an object beyond the speed of light because, no matter how fast it accelerated to, the energy it had would always be constant.