Fat and proud?

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
The movement is born out of insecurity. These people don't feel particularly attractive, they feel judged and they are trying to convince others that they should, in fact, be seen as attractive and healthy humans.

It's how they cope, talking about your body is easier than changing it.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Yan007 said:
In their heart of hearts, %99.99999... of men truly would never pick an overweight or obese woman over a thin one
I dont think that is true (either that or im the 0.000001 percentile) I think in a lot of cases overweight women can be very attractive. I think obese is a different issue but certainly an overweight woman can look amazing. It just depends on the person

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
It really depends on what you mean by `Fat`.
People define weight very strangely sometimes. Weight and health are not the same thing.
I used to be underweight because my metabolism is quite strange and I was always praised for being skinny even though I was super unhealthy.

Now I'm in my `ideal weight` zone for my height, though I don't work out and I'm not really healthy in my eating habits, but because of the way my weight sits on me, I'd like to lose a bit.

So honestly I think what the fat acceptance movement is and should be is- basically, mind your own business!
People's bodies are very different and you (mostly) can't judge someone's health just by looking at them.
So being mean about people's weight just makes you look rude and nasty.

masseyguy911

Aug 6, 2010
Fat people are an easy target, I should know I was overweight as a kid and just about every other kid reminded me on this fact. Saying "I am fat and proud!" is a defense mechanism, it is a lot easier to say that than to attempt to lose weight. I am the person who would say "I'm fat and could stand to lose a few pounds..." but, that would not mean I am proud of who I am, I just take no pride in my fat.

Honestly, at the end of the day if you can say that you are happy with who you are, how you look, and where you are in life, isn't that the most important thing?

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
Naqel said:
Longing said:
Well, fat people have always been the easy target.
I feel like this wasn't meant to be a fat joke, but it still sounds like one. Either way: well played.
lol, i'm gonna say it was intentional. thanks for making me look a lot more clever than i am.

Just a little note here for the people thinking that shaming fat people into losing weight is the way to go.

Shaming doesn't work. It just doesn't. End of the line. You are helping absolutely no one, not that it was ever you motivation to begin with. You think fat people just wake up one day and think, 'oh wow this is super unhealthy, why did no one tell me this before'. you help them by first building them up and then encouraging them to pursue different lifestyle choices. if they don't want to, fine. i think the 500 pounds man knows that he may not live as long as the average populace. you could get hit by a car tomorrow, who fucking cares. stop acting like you're holier than thou.

masseyguy911 said:
Honestly, at the end of the day if you can say that you are happy with who you are, how you look, and where you are in life, isn't that the most important thing?
clearly not, you should also take care not to bother other people with your visual disturbance.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I really think you are conflating two issues. One is the issue of health and the other is fat shaming.

I am overweight, I used to be in awesome shape but had some medical stuff happen and I haven't put in the work since then to get back into shape. I am not proud of my weight. I do not think it is a good thing. I am however proud of myself, as I have a lot of other positive traits and I give a lot to my local community.

I would never begrudge a friend, a doctor, my family, etc., from making a friendly suggestion about getting my weight under control. Many of them have. It shows they care about me and my health and that is great.

What I do begrudge is someone who is going to use my weight to make a personal attack against me or try to berate me. If you do not know me do not bring up my weight. Don't ask if I go to the gym, or comment on what I am eating. If I don't know you or barely know you then you are being rude and breaking a boundary.

Fat acceptance isn't, I believe, about embracing the idea that being fat is healthy or even a good thing. It is about letting people know that you can't use someone's weight as an excuse to attack them, belittle them, or make them feel bad.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
As with anything, there are terrifying extremists within the movement that make it look unhealthy.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/1622018_598919266885330_8266436300003849763_n.jpg

The above is obviously unhealthy and worrisome. At its root, though, the Fat Acceptance Movement is ultimately harmless. There's no good reason to discriminate against someone right away entirely because they're fat (unless you're looking for someone to walk on something flimsy, I guess).

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
The issue I think is because society still believes that you can and should be able to prevent yourself from becoming overweight or obese.

It reminds me of this quote I saw from House where he was explaining why there were no ribbons for lung cancer. How the reasoning was mostly the same.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I've come across similar things and yeah it does seem like there is a fat acceptance movement. Mostly by I assume lazy fat people who don't want to be bothered to put in some effort and make themselves healthy. I've been on both sides of the coin. I used to weigh almost 300 pounds and was officially morbidly obese. I didn't demand that people see me as beautiful or accept my rolls as some new standard of beauty. I looked in the mirror one day and decides that something needed to change. I was fat, unattractive, and unhealthy. So I lost almost 100 pounds and now I'm an amateur body builder.

What I think the fat acceptance movement fails to realize is that more often than not, fat does not only mean many people don't find you attracitve, it also means that you're unhealthy. If someone wants to be fat, and loves themselves as fat, that's great, but their demands to be judged as just as beautiful or healthy as someone who spends hours in the gym and watches what they eat should fall on deaf ears.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
lacktheknack said:
As with anything, there are terrifying extremists within the movement that make it look unhealthy.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/1622018_598919266885330_8266436300003849763_n.jpg

The above is obviously unhealthy and worrisome. At its root, though, the Fat Acceptance Movement is ultimately harmless. There's no good reason to discriminate against someone right away entirely because they're fat (unless you're looking for someone to walk on something flimsy, I guess).
I'm calling Poe's Law on that. There's no human being alive who actually legitimately thinks and writes like that.

There can't be.

*shudder*

Tarfeather

May 1, 2013
Hm, at first I was inclined to agree with the article in the OP, but something just didn't ring true about it.

mecegirl said:
Longing said:
Well, fat people have always been the easy target. It's one of those things you can insult without feeling like a horrible human being (you still are).

I feel like Fat Acceptance is just wanting to be recognized as an actual human being and accepting the fact that you may not find 300 pounds people attractive, but just shut the fuck up about it and continue on with your life. Stop acting like you're 'worried' about their health, we all know it ain't true.

I personally think that Everyone Has A Right To Exist And Find Themselves Beautiful Acceptance would drive the point across, but as I said, when it's time to make a quick cheap joke, always go for the fattie.
This is how I feel about the situation. We can claim that its all about health but its really about appearance. What passes for looking healthy isn't always healthy. You can't tell what a person's eating or exercise habits are by looking at them. Some people just have higher metabolisms. I don't exercise nearly enough and plenty of people would think that I'm healthier than my roommate. I also have a bad habit of letting myself get to busy to eat three square meals a day. I'm the type of person who will eat cake for dinner or wake up at midnight to make chilli cheese fries.

Meanwhile, my roommate who would be classified as "overweight" is definitely more fit than I am. Even before her crusade to loose some weight (which even after she reaches her goal according to random charts she would still be ten pounds overweight)she ate better than me. And she has made it a personal goal to incorporate even more vegetables into her diet. She used to run all the time but life got hectic, now she's started up again and can run 3 miles a day. Her stamina increases monthly. I never run ever and my endurance is shit. But at first glance people would assume I'm the healthy one. No, I just have a high metabolism and happen to have a job that isn't sedentary.
Thanks, that's exactly the issue I see, as well. Linking obesity to "lifestyle" so directly is just nonsense. I know many people who have an unhealthy lifestyle, yet do not become fat. To presume that somehow you are living "healthy" just because you're genetically less prone to becoming obese, and then to feel better than those who aren't so lucky, is the exact kind of detestable hypocrisy at the core of our society.

This "genetically/mentally prone to obesity" also ties in with this:
evilthecat said:
I get that hating on fat acceptance is the "in" thing right now, but this is a really extreme exaggeration of what HAES is about.

See, if you actually look at what the rhetoric is saying, you'll find that type of advice being given is actually really good advice for people to lose weight. The difference is that the goal is not conforming to some notion of what a normal size is, but simply finding ways to be more comfortable and healthy to the degree you actually want.
Exactly. Yeah, obesity is unhealthy, but trying to "combat" it with the wrong methods can be even more unhealthy, both physically and mentally. It may actually be in one's own best interests to not try and lose weight with too much desperation, in which case the whole "proud and fat" thing becomes an effective (if wrong/oversimplified) response.

Yan007 said:
Note: I'm speaking mostly from the side of men because I'm a man and it's my perspective.

I think it is perfectly fine for anyone , men and women, to be proud of being overweight and enjoying themselves that way. On the other hand, I find it ridiculous when I hear "fat and beautiful" or "beautiful curvy woman" because for most people fat is NOT beautiful. You can find yourself beautiful all you want, but at the end of the day you can't force others to find you beautiful even if you keep telling them how beautiful you are, meaning the statement "fat and beautiful" in itself is useless maybe except for yourself or others who already enjoy fat women.

Also let's not forget that for the extremely vast majority of people, being overweight is a lifestyle choice. When I see an overweight woman (or man, but I'm not THAT way so I care less), one of the first things that pops in my mind is not her weight itself, but rather how many other deep rooted issues she might have in life. Being overweight is often a symptom of other things and if a woman will let herself go like that, there is no telling what else is lurking.

I used to be obese 10 years ago and am now a bodybuilder and I'm training for the iron man triathlon. I had all the faults I attribute to most fat people such as laziness, sloth, being envious of others and having no "primal energy" or "drive" in life. Was I handsome when I was obese? Hell no. Did I think I was alright the way I was and girls should accept me the way I am? Of course! Did it work? Take a guess... The only women I used to attract with my looks and lifestyle where of poor character and extremely low quality. It took me years to get where I am today and everyday I work on building value and adding to who I am all the time.

Truth be told - the reason why people keep telling themselves "fat is beautiful" is because they don't have the character it takes to change their life and improve themselves. That's okay, not everyone is cut to be an astronaut, but we shouldn't be fooling ourselves.The men who commingle with women who display low value are of low value, display low value or don't know how valuable they are so they settle for less than they could. In their heart of hearts, %99.99999... of men truly would never pick an overweight or obese woman over a thin one, all things being equal. Men simply settle for the best they can get and unfortunately, the average woman is becoming less attractive and the average man is not working on increasing his value.

Sad. Really.
Are you being sincere here? You might as well just be taking the piss with that post, but for the sake of discussion I'll assume you're being sincere.

Let me summarize: You used to not meet society's ideals in an "attractive male". You tried to accept and respect yourself anyway, but somehow that didn't "work". So the conclusion you drew from that, is that there are "better" and "worse" people in the sex game, and clearly the best way to go forward is to "become" one of the "better".

That's saddening, you know. You could have learned from that experience. You could have realized that those judging you so badly are doing it for superficial reasons. You could have realized that you yourself are being superficial in your judgement, and tried to look more closely. You could have attempted to actually understand those women "of poor character and extremely low quality", and see them as actual feeling people rather than sex objects and decorations. You did none of that, you chose the path of least resistance, and now you feel good about yourself. Sorry, I hate to judge on so little information, you may be a totally different person from what you just described yourself as, but if your intention was to sound like a pathetic excuse for a human being in as few words as possible, you have succeeded.

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
Nooooooooooooooooo....

I've been overweight most of my shortish life and have no pride about it. There is no reason to be pride about not being able to balance your lifestyle properly. It IS harmful. It is not in your best interest to be fat.

What I can get behind though is the people who have an actual medical condition causing them to gain weight. That and wanting to differentiate being overweight and living unhealthily. I have skinny friends who can eat whatever they want and not move a muscle in weeks without gaining weight, whereas I run 4-5 times a week and have already one half-marathon under my belt. My weight certainly tells a lot of my past lifestyle choices, but does not necessarily reflect my current ones.

Just Plain Old Josh

May 10, 2014
Yes, there is a fat acceptance movement.

It exists for the same reason any civil rights movement exists: bigotry. It turns out that when society hates and persecutes a class of people, those people get hurt. Socially, psychologically, economically.

Fat people are still human beings, and what does any human being do when they get harassed and disrespected and made fun of day after day? First they get upset. Some give in. But, eventually, others fight back. That?s the story behind the movement to abolish slavery, the rise of labor unions, the sexual equality movement, the racial equality movement, gay rights activism, you name it. And it?s the story behind fat acceptance.

If you think about it, it doesn?t even have anything to do with being fat. People used to get harassed (and still do in some places) for stuff as shallow as hair color and handedness. Bigotry doesn?t care what form it takes. All of this stuff about whether fat is unhealthy and whether it is an economic or environmental burden is a red herring. Bigots always have a rationale ready to go for why the class of people they persecute ?have it coming to them.?

But it?s all beside the point. Whatever the reasons you make up to justify hating on fat people, the bottom line is that the fat acceptance movement only will go away when individuals and society as a whole stop treating fat people like crap. Not before.

Fat acceptance stands for respecting the humanity of fat people.

Ironically, then, the people who most strongly dislike the fat acceptance movement are the people most directly responsible for its continued existence.

My personal advice? Don?t get bent out of shape when other people live their lives in a way that you don?t like. Save the confrontational attitude for stuff that really matters. And if you?re hating on fat people simply because you need somebody to hate, why not just hate on Nickelback? They?ve earned it.

CLASS DISMISSED.

(Extra credit time! If you really want to keep reading, here you go: I know that bigots don?t like to think of themselves as bigots, but I?m not going to indulge their wish for political correctness. The dictionary defines bigotry as ?prejudice,? and prejudice is literally ?pre-judgment?; i.e., making judgments before you should. If you see a stranger, and they?re fat, this doesn?t tell you anything about who that person really is, except for that they?re fat. The fat on their body doesn?t tell you anything about their dreams, their ideology, their family and friends, their personality type, their decency, their intelligence, their health, or anything else. Yet, routinely, people assume that being fat equates to being dumb, selfish, ugly, smelly, unhealthy, perverted, and to having low self-esteem, self-discipline, and self-respect. Notice that the assumed qualities are always negative, never positive. These assumptions are always intended to dehumanize their target. That is bigotry. Luckily, being a bigot is something people can change about themselves.)

(One more bonus credit, because MY POST ISN?T LONG ENOUGH YET RAAAAH!! Somebody upthread said that ?In their heart of hearts, %99.99999... of men truly would never pick an overweight or obese woman over a thin one.? That?s just plain ignorant, son. That claim is scientifically testable, and empirically wrong. It doesn?t even pass the smell test. If only one out of ten million men preferred a fat partner, then, for the entire United States, you could count those men on your fingers. Most men?probably about 60 to 90 percent?do prefer a skinny partner. The other 10 to 40 percent honestly prefer heavier women. And that doesn?t even take social conditioning into account. (Beauty ideals are heavily influenced by social fashion.) By the way, plenty of women also prefer fat men.)

All right. I?m outta here. I saw this thread out of the corner of my eye while watching LRR and couldn?t help myself from commenting. I hope this post did some good for someone.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I really dont get how people can feel bad about their weight, sure you can look into improving it (if its bad for your health you fucking should no matter how proud you are of it) but to feel ashamed?

I am too skinny (not as much now, but back then, geez) and I have been called out on being too skinny. I then decided to at least do something about it since I could at least try to look better and be healthier but even then I still went to the beach and was all cool with it and shit (and even looking at pictures of that time I was really fucking skinny).

In the end it was actually Crohn's disease so yeah (getting treatment currently and looking better)... Now even though I am still skinny I still know that I was never ashamed of being way too skinny and all I wanted for myself was to be healthier (never actually proud of looking the way I looked, just cool with it I guess).

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
My favourite fat guy on the internet basically shares my thoughts:

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Weaver said:
My favourite fat guy on the internet basically shares my thoughts:
...beautiful

I feel that Eternal Lament [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.849599-Fat-and-proud#20981749] wrote it perfectly and this video expands on everything I believe with the "Fat Acceptance" movement.

It's so hard to talk about it without people getting upset (since no one likes to believe they're doing something wrong). I said it in the OP and I have no problem still admitting it; I could never figure out how to explain my position and my criticisms of "Fat Acceptance" without sounding like a preachy asshole.

I'm going to have to figure out how to put what he said in my own words for it basically nails it. Good show Weaver!