Favorite game that tanked in sales

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
A Werewolf said:
This one puzzles me, it was so great, with so much critical acclaim, and yet nobody bought it.
As someone who never bought it, and may not ever, the reason is because it doesn't look like it's going to be good.

If you don't read gaming magazines/reviews/forums whatever and you walk into a gameing store and see a watercolour painting of a fox/wolf (Flame shield ACTIVATE!) with "Okami" written on it, chances are that unless you're into manga/anime/Japanese culture or watercolour animals, you're not even going to read the back.

If it had been called "Fox Quest!" or like "Adventure of the Something or Other!" I might have been interested, but "Okami" didn't say to me "You will enjoy this game if you are a teen male", and unfortunately they seem to do most of the buying in this industry, or at least they represented a large market share when Okami came out.

Thamux said:
ChromeHounds!, good times... and well Im probably the only person in the universe who enjoyed Too Human
You are not. I can name at least 3 others who I know in real life other than myself who enjoyed it too. :)

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Very many, but I guess indie games don't count so here's a commercial list.

RECOIL (fucking play it NOW it's freeware now)
Aliens Vs. Predator 2 (amazingly still has a master server, albeit a thirdparty one that takes an hour of patching to get on)
War World 3
Trackmania (particularly united although that one actually sold kinda well given its exposure...)

Be quiet, 4 is enough.
Wait, no, Strife. It's a cyberpunk RPG/FPS, also the last game ever made in the DooM engine. It's heavily modded and insanely fun, take a look if you're into that stuff.

Warready

Apr 17, 2009
Glad someone else said Planetside. That game is still by far my favorite shooter. Lots of fond memories and good friends made playing that game.

Jimmybobjr

Aug 3, 2010
Legendary!
Loved it, i cant see why it sold so badly.

Other than that, I would say Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings for the DS, i thought it was brilliant.

cerealnmuffin

May 15, 2010
I would be so happy if someone knows the game I'm about to refer to: Rule of Rose for ps2. It tanked mainly due to buggy combat and the game being a survival horror where killing enemies was very discouraged (even more so then early silent hills). The plot is where it shown through. It is the only video game that had me crying at the end. The story is a fragmented journey into this girl's memory of being at an orphanage that had a very lord of the flies society of girls. One of the game's strengths is that it was like a mystery only hinting and leaving clues (there is an entire website devoted to analyzing the clues and plot threads). This probably hurt it in the review dept, but for me was extremely strong.

The music is great (dischordant violins) and the atmosphere is top notch. It is more of a sad mystery than action oriented.

I would spoil some of the events but that would require telling the whole story, but I will say it was one of the most moving and sad things ever. This game was more high literature than game and I doubt anything like it would come out for a long time.

cerealnmuffin

May 15, 2010
Noobxs said:
I second the opinion's of people saying Lost Odyssey. That game deserves a sequel and more importantly not to be in a £5 bargain bin.
I so agree. To me it was the next real Final Fantasy. Only problem I had was how short it was. It seems like it is missing its middle act like slow build up to first boss and then I felt like I was running to final dungeon. The writing was excellent.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Mr Shrike said:
Kuchinawa212 said:
Mr Shrike said:
Operation Flashpoint: Red River

It's got its flaws, but it's very good when played in co-op.
*hiss*
Sorry personal bias against the Operation Flashpoint series. So Red River is good for Co-op? hmm maybe something I should look into
Fair enough, it took me a while to get into Flashpoint me'self.

Both of the newer Flashpoints (especially Red River) are great with 2 or 3 buddies. The AI isn't really up to the job of taking care of itself, so you end up babysitting it.

If you didn't enjoy the earlier Flashpoint games, chances are you won't enjoy this one. It's not the most unforgiving game ever, but it's certainly not a "run & gun" shooter.
Oh...Well I played Dragon Rising with a buddy and at times it was okay and at other times it felt like I was drilling holes into my skull. So I'm not going to sugar coat this and say "Oh okay dude, maybe I'll check it out" or "I dunno maybe I'll rent it"
I think I'm going to avoid this one. But thanks for informing me some more on it. If the AI is still dumb as bricks and I don't want roll the dice and hope my friends want to play it.

Monkeybald

Nov 13, 2010
Space Station Silicon Valley on the N64. Play as a micro chip that can take over other robotic animals in a giant artificial habitat/space station setting. It had it's bugs and over the top difficulty, but I still consider it one of my all time favorites.

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
jacobythehedgehog said:
Falcon123 said:
jacobythehedgehog said:
Kadoodle said:
The entire Call of Duty series. Shame there's nobody to play with online, guess it never took off.
Are you kidding, Call of Duty one of the best selling games of all time. How can you say it never took off???
Sarcasm has escaped you. What a pity that you let it get away :p
I am sorry, I feel kind stupid. :(
No worries. Happens to the best of us :)

gCrusher

Mar 17, 2011
ForgottenPr0digy said:
gCrusher said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
The Bouncer
I'll have to respectfully disagree with this one. My fellow brawl-monkies were only there to kill-steal, robbing me of XP, and it had an end boss that was cheap to no end. Regardless who I used to fight through all the way to the end, I never felt like I had the power necessary to bring him down.

Thanks for the kill-steals, guys.
upgrade defense and life if you wanna beat the game. I beat that game a few times but i gotta say the text dialogs during loading screens could have been interesting to read but the game loads to fast you never get a chance to know more about the character's backstory. A prequel to the Bouncer would be great.
I appreciate the tip. I traded in this title a long time ago. Paid $50 for it on release, only got $2 on trade about 3 months later.

A prequel may not be a bad idea, so long as they give something for your AI-controlled buddies bringing down a bad guy. Even if it's reduced XP. And why not tag-team/combo/gang-up type moves, and story mode multiplayer? That would make for a good title.