Favorite game that tanked in sales

WanderingBiscuits

Apr 19, 2010
Psi Ops is the only one that springs to mind that tanked in sales. Shame cause they set up for a sequel. Also the gameplay was more fluid than any other game involving telekinesis. Its a wonder nobody followed up on it.

EDIT: PRIMAL. That game was amazing yet had lackluster sales.

AmbushIntheDark

Aug 2, 2010
Shadowrun.

Probably the best competitive FPS I've ever played, and it sold like shit because it came out near the same time as Halo 3.

God, I would buy Shadowrun 2 so fast...

vazzaroth

May 19, 2009
Steambot Chronicles. Here the wiki, because you didn't play it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steambot_Chronicles

That game was so cool... I guess it introduced me to Steampunk, waaaaay before it was popular.

The other is Valkyria Chronicles, although I think it's sales picked up slowly. But I remember when I went to pick my copy up from Gamecrazy with my friend who pre-ordered it (His name is Brian), the guy at the counter asked if I was Brian. I said no. He said "Oh. Your Josh then".

We were the only 2...

Games with Chronicle names are apparently destined to be underrated.

Kakulukia said:
It's a tie between Primal and Sphinx & the Cursed Mummy. Two awesome, awesome games that didn't sell at all. Also Psi-Ops.

Dude, Psi-Ops was SO fun. I played the demo for probably 5 hours, just playing with levitation.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Psychonauts and Otogi: Myth of demons.
Both were well done, artistic games. Psychonauts was very well written and imaginative and funny and Otogi was artistic and beautiful. Yet tragically, neither one sold very well.

Aerograt

Jan 7, 2011
Shadowrun.... Y U NO HAZ RESPAWN GAMETYPE?!!?!?
AmbushIntheDark said:
Shadowrun.

Probably the best competitive FPS I've ever played, and it sold like shit because it came out near the same time as Halo 3.

God, I would buy Shadowrun 2 so fast...
Hold me.

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010
Kuchinawa212 said:
Mr Shrike said:
Operation Flashpoint: Red River

It's got its flaws, but it's very good when played in co-op.
*hiss*
Sorry personal bias against the Operation Flashpoint series. So Red River is good for Co-op? hmm maybe something I should look into
Fair enough, it took me a while to get into Flashpoint me'self.

Both of the newer Flashpoints (especially Red River) are great with 2 or 3 buddies. The AI isn't really up to the job of taking care of itself, so you end up babysitting it.

If you didn't enjoy the earlier Flashpoint games, chances are you won't enjoy this one. It's not the most unforgiving game ever, but it's certainly not a "run & gun" shooter.

Thamux

Feb 2, 2010
ChromeHounds!, good times... and well Im probably the only person in the universe who enjoyed Too Human

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
timesplitters: future perfect, i don't know anyone besides myself that bought a copy of it.

PhoenixOnly

Nov 18, 2009
Grim Fandango....
I have a dream that maybe one day it will be recognised as the amazing game it is...
I dont know if I would want a sequel but I would buy it in a heartbeat if there was one.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Chrono Cross. I'm truly surprised to see this did not do well. Or why continuity has remained stalled, whether from Squeenix or from fans.

[tantrum]DO IT NAO !! [/tantrum]

Thamian

Sep 3, 2008
I suspect Freelancer didn't do as well as it deserved... Digital Anvil of course going the way of most underperforming Microsoft subsids soon after.

Other than that, probably Emperor:Battle for Dune (look what happened to Westwood immediately afterwards) or Tachyon:The Fringe (really doubt that one did anywhere near as well as it should have, considering that the golden age of space sims was on it's very last limbs at the time before Freelancer came along to sing it's swan song).

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
Well, my choices are all Sega CD games. They technically sold well for their system, but their system tanked in sales, so, in the great scheme of things, its games tanked too.

So, here we go:

1 - Lunar, the Silver Star;
2 - Lunar, Eternal Blue;
3 - Sonic CD (BEST SONIC GAME OF ALL TIME);
4 - Silpheed.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Advent Rising (action movie in a box, composed of concentrated awesome)
System Shock 2 (though many years later we finally got Bioshock)
Septerra core (a new spin on WJRPGs and an engaging story to boot)

Countless others