Favorite RPG game of all time

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
Either Final Fantasy 9, or Pokemon Platinum. I'd pick Pokemon by a long shot if those games finally started to put an effort into slightly more serious stories by I'll deal with it.

Gameplay variety -> Pokemon Platinum
Music -> Pokemon Platinum
Story/Plot -> FF9
Art Style -> Pokemon Platinum
Lasting Value -> Pokemon Platinum
Pacing -> FF9

o_O DAM PIPLUP at least make it fair!! But I gotta give it to FF9 for best RPG. Pokemon P is the better game overall. The ending for FF9 that left me completely surprised in addition to this song will stay with me for a while. Just to make up for it though I need to hear the song that gave me the most goosebumps and ran a slight shiver up my spine everytime I hear that first note.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Chrono Cross, easily.

I realize that I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for preferring it immensely over Chrono Trigger, which is not to say I don't love that game, but Chrono Cross just struck a chord in me and struck it hard. No other game brought so much emotion out of me, nor has any other game twisted them to such an extent.

It's probably out of pure nostalgia that Devil May Cry is my favorite game of all time as opposed to Chrono Cross.

ollieoz17

Dec 17, 2008
Ogre Battle: Person of Lordly Caliber. Great, ahead-of-its-time RPG with approachable, deep strategy mechanics and, above all, one of the best stories in any RPG I've ever played. So sad it's not more widely known.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Daedalus1942 said:
Gill Kaiser said:
Baldur's Gate 2, Morrowind, Mass Effect 2.
Mass effect II is not an RPG.

Wild Arms, Final Fantasy VII, or Valkyrie profile.
-Tabs<3-
Also, System Shock II <3
Wait wait wait. Final Fantasy VII is an RPG but Mass Effect 2 isnt? Might want to think about that again.
That was actually supposed to be VIII, not 7, I made a mistake, but in any case, uhh.. yeah Final Fantasy VII is definately more of an RPG than Mass Effect II.
-Tabs<3-

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Planescape Torment because it is one of the only "pure" RPGs where you play an actual story role.

BG1 has a very loose story but is fun. BG2 has a great story where the bad guy is the main character, and it works very well. The ending sequence will probably make you cry.

And I know everyone will disagree buy IMO the best RPG of the 2000s is STALKER. It doesn't have stats or leveling or character progression. What it does have is a perfectly immersive environment where the player makes his decisions in character.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Baldur's Gate 2

Persona 4

Planescape: Torment

Almost done with DDS, if DDS2 is as good (or better), I'll throw them in there as well.

Ulvai

Mar 9, 2010
Fallout 2, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.
Also Nverwinter Nights: Hordes of Underdark and Platinum modules.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
NES: Final fantasy 1
SNES Lufia , Final fantasy 3 (US)6 japan ,
PS1:Legend of Dragoon , Legend of legaia ,Final fantast 7
PS2:Wild ARms3 ,Persona 4 , Final fantasy 12
Xbox360: Lost oddessey , Star ocean 4 ,Final fantasy 13