favorite spells

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
The whole magic system in Two Worlds 2... because you can create a fireball that hits the enemy, debuffs them, damages over time and spawns a fire demon beside that stricken foe.

Oh, and Bigsby's Hand spells of course :D

Gashad

Apr 8, 2009
alarcity + timestop in Baldurs gate 2-Cast this then drop like 15 spells on your opponent when the smoke clears your opponents are either dead or magic immune :)-really makes you feel like a powerful mage.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Great Combustion from Dark souls - Short range, but incinerates most enemies like nothing.

Dual casted Lightning Bolt from Skyrim with stagger perk - STUNLOCK ALL THE ENEMIES.

Divine Armor from Dante's Inferno - with the Ciacco's Bile relic that regens mana, and both maxed, it basically give you an infinite invul-shield with HP regen.

Ward of the Norns from Too Human - My second fav invul-shield

Dual casted Pacify from Skyrim - this can turn the whole damn fight around on any enemy except dragons by calming them down and leaving them wide open for a backstab with up to 30x damage.

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
QFQFASS. Anyone recognise this?

Also, I don't think Bioshock plasmids should count. Not really a spell, it's SCIENCE :D

Liquidcool

Jun 5, 2010
I really liked Incinerate! from Bioshock. Fireballs are nice, but setting your enemies on fire is awesome.
Also, Gravelord Greatsword Dance from Dark Souls.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Corpse Explosion from Diablo 2. Wait until your skeleton horde has killed a monster, then BOOM, BOOM, BOOM everything is dead.

Conversion spells in general are also fun but usually nerfed hard. There is almost always a faster and safer way to kill things than making some of them fight for you. But I like to do it anyway.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I find it hard to pick since spells are usually elemental and therefore very situational...
I guess i'll go with any inferno-style fire based spells though 'cause i always get annoyed when fire's a "bad" pick against an enemy.

Noticed this a lot in Dark Souls. I love my Pyromancer. He burns things... all the time >_>

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I liked the Jump spell in Morrowind.

Running around the place and find a wizard that just fell from the sky with a Scroll of Jump on his corpse.

Immediately use the scroll of jump.

Realise what killed the wizard.

That was always a hilarious moment for me.

I guess I also liked "Corpse Explosion" from World of Warcraft (It was removed a while ago) running around as an Unholy Deathknight and whenever something died blowing it up! It wasn't particularly strong (Infact it was really weak) and it also wasn't convenient (Since you needed to be fighting 2+ enemies at a time to hit with it) but damn was it fun, it also helped me when I was tanking (Because with extra threat from stances and talents it did become a nice threat booster when DPS switched targets)

Seed of Corruption always brought a smile to my face, especially when I used it in Alterac Valley when defending a boss (Hit people up with it and then when the tank gets hit everyone does a huge explosion dealing craptons of AoE damage)

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Capt. Crankypants said:
QFQFASS. Anyone recognise this?

Also, I don't think Bioshock plasmids should count. Not really a spell, it's SCIENCE :D
I'm sure someone once said something about sufficiently advanced technology. Also, QFQFASS? I have no idea.

OT: Might and Magic had some utterly ridiculous ones. Souldrinker: Sucks the life out of everything in sight and uses it to heal your party. Armageddon: Causes massive damage to everyone on the map. And that's just the dark magic. Also, word on the town portal and Lloyds beacon.

Honourable mention to TES4 Oblivion, for giving me the opportunity to make my own stupidly powerful spells at the cost of all my gold and all my characters magic points. Good times.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
Limited Wish and Wish in Baldur's Gate II. Anyone can make a spell which does X damage to Y targets at a range of Z. Making a spell which has open, varied effects based on whether or not the caster has the common sense to word his request well, then including little mini-quests and effects?

That was cool.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I've always enjoyed the creative use of Color Spray against hordes of enemies... especially by swashbuckling sorcerers. One of my players was very clever with that.

Ninedeus

Feb 26, 2010
teh_Canape said:
1)Scrye from Clive Barker's Undying
granted this isn't much of an active spell, but I thought it was really cool how it allowed you to see hidden things that really helped get into the atmosphere and the world of the game, like the hanging corpses on the lamps at the beginning of the game, or the unforgettable family picture, that was some cool shit
This! Will never forget the scene in the mothers bedroom...ever.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
TopazFusion said:
Definitely spells that turn enemies on each other. (Examples: Frenzy in TES, Enrage in BS1, Hypnotize in BS2, etc.)

It's very satisfying seeing the enemies that were chatting to each other just a moment earlier, suddenly fly into a rage and attack each other.
All while I stand back, or hide around the corner.
Yes, this so much.
Also anything that poisons the targer and/or can spread. (Or set them on fire to deal additional damage over time)

I don't know if pokemon counts, but I love Ghost-type Curse, and tend to have ghost types in my team every time anyway.

I've been playing Dragon age Origins lately, and I love casting Virulent Walking Bomb and running away. Also Sleep + Waking nightmare.

Also I like summoning stuff. Even if it just draws the fire off me.
Scifi equivalent of that is having robots or such you can use in combat.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Indignation judgment from Tales of Symphonia. Now that thing could really do some damage!

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
It really is just hard to nail down. I did like Fus Ro Dah! But then didn't everyone?

I also Liked firestorm in DAO but I found I kept killing my entire party with it....

the Push and Lift Biotics from Mass effect were also rather fun in my opinion.

But I supose I could then go with several of the controller powers from City of Heroes.

Okay maybe I will go with one of the Controller powers... Throw (at least from memory I think that is the name... haven't played my dom in ages) from the Gravity pool.... Always so satisfying to watch as a random object was thrown at an AV. Sure I would probably be dead by the time the damage hit it (or my team had killed it) but when it hit... Well it was awesome.

So yeah... that could possibly be my favorite.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Eyes of the Beast in WoW, back when I played it. The sheer novelty of running around as my pet wolf...