favorite type of melee weapon?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Longsword. Hands down.

It's the most versatile and one of the most intuitive melee weapons ever made. Has enough function for almost countless advanced techniques and fighting styles yet is basic enough to be understood and wielded at least semi-competently by a beginner. And it looks just awesome.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Hmm an Axe is always good (needs room for a good swing though), I do really love my swords (upkeep can be a chore dealing with hard targets filled with salty mostly water). I'd probably have to go with Trench knives. Large D guards for face pummeling and 7+ inch double sided blades for getting at the insidy parts of a target.

Javetts Eall Raksha

May 28, 2014
spears, i just don't get why everyone is so into swords. there are more design options for spears and more fighting styles. also chainsaws because chainsaws

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
One word. Machete.

Perfect weapon for removing zombie head from body or for cracking skulls. Keep a whetstone to make sure it can lob off an enemy melon in one fell swoop and you have a perfect melee weapon or tool for clearing overgrowth.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Depends a bit on the setting and the overall animation combined with the hit feedback.
In a modern setting i love fist fights and if the game let me use a weapon then the classic baseball bat is my favorite.
As for a medieval/fantasy setting i prefer sharp, heavy weapons like two handed swords or axes. It may sound odd but i need feedback in form of flying limps. Without it i stick to twohanded blunt weapons. One other thing i dislike is when you can take off limps with blunt weapons. LOTR-war in the north was such a game where i always kept looking for sharp heavy axes/swords because blunt weapons will remove bodyparts too.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Clearly it's the fabled lead pipe of lore, anyone who hasn't chosen it is just plain wrong. RESPECT THE PIPE!

The only thing that even comes close to that is a good 'ol Louisville slugger. Or a board with a nail in it, but that's just plain cruel.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Fijiman said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Go lightsaber or go home.

...what? It's a melee weapon!
Yes, but it's still cheating unless the other guy has a lightsaber too.
It's not cheating just because the opponent chose poorly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2VcM5sDyg0

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
After playing Dark Souls, I definitely got into using the halberd. It had the reach of a spear, and the strength of an axe. I found striking enemies before they got in attack range to be much easier than dodging and countering with shorter weapons. When I did have to dodge, most of the time I only needed to back-step or roll backwards.

Dark Souls 2 made it less effective, by turning the standard attack from a thrust into an overhead chop, and by drastically lowering the damage when striking an enemy up close, but it was still useful when I was able to keep enemies at range.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
Put me down as yet another Halberd man.

It's so FREAKIN RARE that you get to play with one in games though, mostly because polearms aren't considered "Heroic" enough. But I squeal like a little boy whenever I get the chance to use one.

Champions of the Halberd: Dynasty Warriors and Dark Souls. No, that's not really how a halberd works. Dark Souls' silly spin attack move aside, I don't really care.

Halberd Hall of Shame: Resident Evil. SCREW YOU I DON'T WANT TO USE IT TO SOLVE A PUZZLE WHY AM I STUCK WITH THIS USELESS KNIFE WHEN I HAVE A FREAKIN' HALBERD!?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'm usually a long sword and shield user in games. My first play through with almost any game is as a melee tank, so sword and shield are needed. I've never been a big fan of warhammers, axes, maces, and pretty much all blunt weapons. The really exotic weapons though I really enjoy.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I prefer knives over swords, but I think there is a tragic under-representation of war clubs in this thread - not the big, goofy cumbersome kind with nails in it, but the polished native American war clubs, or the Aztec sword clubs.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
The Guandao or Naginata. Essentially a quaterstaff with a shortsword at the end. Lets you keep foes at range, has the defensiveness of a quarterstaff and the stabbiness of a sword, and can be used as a walking staff so its always handy.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
I have always been a fan of swords. Swords are the embodiment of nobility, honor and not to mention some sick style. I have always preferred one handed arming swords and bastard swords to anything else. I prefer the bulkier fantasy swords over their more agile counterparts. I love knights, paladins, lords and all that good stuff. For a good example of my preference check out Ike's Smash Bros appearance.

I love how thick and hefty swords are in a great deal of fantasy work, they always look like they have serious power to them even if they would be ridiculously heavy. I also enjoy how great deal of fantasy sword have a diamond shaped blade, at in it had no flat area along the blade similar to this image below.

The end result was the blade was heavier because it has no fuller and was all around just one giant thicker edge, so it isn't something you see commonly outside of fantasy especially in larger sizes. But you will still see your typical video game hero wielding something similar (once again going with Ike here)

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
realistically speaking I'm a purist of sorts I'll take either a pocket knife or metal baseball bat. But if we're including fictional melee weapons I quite like the Energy Sword and the Gravity Hammer from the Halo games.

EDIT:
RavingSturm said:
Do boxing gloves count as a melee weapon? I like those...
I like them to...I've never boxed in real life but I thoroughly enjoyed using them to slowly bludgeon weak enemies to death in Fallout:New Vegas

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Headsprouter said:
Axes. Although, the idea of goring somebody to death with a heavy garden rake is a cool concept. Hence my use of the TF2 Pyro's Back Scratcher. Underrated weapon. I wonder if a rake-like weapon has ever seen use in real combat, though?
It's not quite the weaponized garden rake you're envisioning but there is an old Chinese weapon that might fit the bill

It looks like more a giant back scratcher but I think it's the closest you'll get to what you're thinking of.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
AgDr_ODST said:
Headsprouter said:
Axes. Although, the idea of goring somebody to death with a heavy garden rake is a cool concept. Hence my use of the TF2 Pyro's Back Scratcher. Underrated weapon. I wonder if a rake-like weapon has ever seen use in real combat, though?
It's not quite the weaponized garden rake you're envisioning but there is an old Chinese weapon that might fit the bill

It looks like more a giant back scratcher but I think it's the closest you'll get to what you're thinking of.
That would do just fine, just remove the realistic hand design and it's exactly what I'm looking for.