Favourite 'Blow off steam' game

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Witcher, I bought it off GoG. Get it? So I can "Blow off" Steam?

OT: GTA Online is really doing it for me. Or it was until my xbox live ran out. Now it's just singleplayer for me.

Skyrim did it for a while. I'd just run around do any old menial quest. But I quickly got bored of 2-hitting dragons on master difficulty so I gave up on it.

Just Cause 2. Oh god that game is so fun. It's stupid and I love it. I go around hook passing cars to things, other cars, people, you name it. And when there is a base to destroy, I plant all my Charges on the destroyable objects, find a badass way out, and BOOM everything explodes at once.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Evonisia said:
I play Gears of War 3's multiplayer, I enjoy getting those easy kills in such gory ways (most guns tend to just tear limbs off) and after a while I start enjoying it more because I'm settled and ready for the challenge of other players.
Is doing nothing but charging people with the bayonet in GOW3 viable? I only played it at launch for a few months and it was everywhere, Retro Lancer and Sawn Off Shotgun. The rage that combo inspires is great :D

OT: Playing Normals in League. There are two different mindsets regarding Normals, you have the people who play Ranked and people who ignore Ranked and only play Normals.

Ranked people just take it easy and do stupid shit whereas the people who never touch Ranked are in the usual "tryhard" frame of mind. I'm not like my friend who goes jungle Zyra or AD Carry Elise, that stuff can ruin the fun for others (caring about other people's fun? Do you even League?) and instead use them for training purposes.

I try to get mid Ahri, ignore winning and just try to get better with her. It's pretty chill. I have a suspicion that Ahri is a tad OP, Charm is one of the strongest spells in the game and she has three teleports. You can basically Flash < Charm then get back out if you overestimated your damage. Because if you Flash into something you automatically deserve the kill. This is law.

Also the Arkham challenge mode. Pick Deathstroke, hit people with sticks, win game.

recurve6

Jan 8, 2011
Dansen said:
Dynasty Warriors, you are God amongst men leaving a swath of carnage in your wake.

Nuff said
Basically this.

Dynasty Warriors combines the most ridiculous music and characters with easy-to-learn-difficult-to-master gameplay and instant accessibility. Little thought is required, but DW can hold your attention way easier than you'd think, especially the faster-paced, newer titles.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Torchlight II can be very soothing with it's multitude of explosions and stacks upon stacks of numbers floating up when you wipe out a gaggle of enemies.

Probably the one I play the most though for this purpose is Orcs Must Die 2. Throw on some thrash music, sit back in my chair and just let loose with some carnage.

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
The Wonderful 101. It's such a cheery and upbeat superhero story with an addictive core gameplay. Team! Unite Up!!

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
Grand Theft Auto V. Take a nice drive to Ammunation, become death destroyer of worlds, and then turn the streets into a War Zone.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
*takes a deep breath*

These orcs must DIE!!!

Nothing as cathartic as watching a bunch of orcs swept up and mangled by your cleverly placed killboxes as punishment for parking wrong.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'd agree with 'Just Cause 2' as well.
It's a great screw around game.

Dragon's Crown has also been a game I've enjoyed just messing around with for a while.

Sumrex

Apr 4, 2010
im gonna have to go with painkiller(the original that is) because, and I'm qouteing Yahtzee here "So that's Painkiller more proof that the best way to blow off steam is to blow of someones natches"

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
I like this thread. It's so... positive. Refreshing.

OT: DOOM, Dead Rising 2, Killing Floor, or any other game with copious amounts of violence and mayhem. A spot of MW2 also works quite well because I have transcended into godhood in that game. (About 1500 hours in it)

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Saints Row 4. I just run around causing nukes and throwing cars at people. I will also occasionally stop to toss an ice blast at a group of people then smack them and watch the chain reaction of bits fly everywhere. Then there is simply running into someone at high speed and doing some insane high speed wrestling move on them. Never gets old. Being an unstoppable god is a good way to blow off steam. It helps that I run around in red and black knight armor while wearing a demonic looking horse head.

I also find that playing some Rock Band 2 helps a lot.

TheJayke

Oct 22, 2010
Am I the only one who plays Fifa? Each years Fifa is my go to game when I just want to burn half hour or so, either a couple games online or in my career mode there.

If I have a bit longer, then maybe a couple games in League of Legends, generally ARAM if I don't want to have to concentrate..

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Multiplayer: Mass Effect
Singleplayer: Fallout: New Vegas or the Sims 3

Can't get angry when building a house!

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
I generally switch between Dynasty Warriors and Prototype, as morbid as it sounds, just slaughtering hundreds upon hundreds of people as this absolutely godly being really soothes the mind.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Prototype's got exactly the kind of aggressive, fast, fluid, varied gameplay I need for letting off Steam. You can fling fridges at tanks one moment, claw your way through mutants the next, and roleplay as Blackwatch to round things out.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Halo Reach. Firefight mode. Pop on some tunes and blast away for long as I can. Halo is generally pretty good for just screwing around. My brother and I used to race warthogs on the last level of 3.

Exhuminator

Oct 14, 2013

http://www.gog.com/game/postal_2_complete

It's cathartic in ways you can't imagine until you play it.