Favourite Developers of Yesteryear

Wyld Fyre

Jul 9, 2011
Pandemic Studios, Black Isle, MicroProse, Square, Rare...

All mentioned already but for good reason.

Where is my new Bushido Blade? Or Killer Instinct for that matter.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
BehattedWanderer said:
Black Isle, I suppose. Dead and gone and redistributed throughout the gaming world, presumably mostly into Bioware.
Black Isle is definitely my favorite old developer.
Who went to Bioware? Some of them went to Troika before it died. Feargus Urquhart, Timothy Cain, Jesse Reynolds, Chris Jones and alot of the minor people are at Obsidian. Chris Avellone is working Obsidian and working on Wasteland 2 with Brian Fargo at inXile. Leonard Boyarsky is at Blizzard. Chris Taylor was back at Interplay last I heard. I'm sure I missed some people but I don't remember any going to Bioware.

Reep

Jul 23, 2008
I'm gonna say Team 17, the guys behind Worms, Pandemic for Destroy All Humans, and Rare since i love Banjo Kazooie so much.

Skulltaker101

Jul 20, 2010
Probably Novalogic...they made a fantastic game in Tachyon: The Fringe that got me into games in the first place. Beyond that, I'd probably say Looking Glass Studios, and I'm still a fan of Bethesda Softworks.

ajemas

Nov 19, 2009
Valve. Don't get me wrong, I still love them with all of my heart, but their recent trends towards updates for TF2 and constant hat creation, as well as their continued lack of communication about the Half Life series, have gotten very grating. I'm thrilled that they released Portal 2, but think about how much more they could make if they just dropped all of the work they were doing for TF2 and got back to actually making unique games.
By the way, before anybody rips me to shreds for this, I am absolutely NOT saying that I am entitled to a new Half Life game. All that I want is some kind of "yes" or "no" to whether they are working on it right now or not.

KingofMadCows

Dec 6, 2010
Westwood - I know everyone remembers it for Command and Conquer but they weren't just good at making RTS games, they were good at making games of 4 or 5 different genres. They made good RPG's like Lands of Lore and Nox. They made good point and click games like Kyrandia and Blade Runner. They also helped make the Lion King game, a platformer. Even one of their last games, Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat, an action-adventure game, was pretty decent. And their very last game, Earth & Beyond, an MMORPG, had a lot of cool ideas, and could have been great if EA hadn't screwed things up.

New World Computing - I miss the old Might and Magic and Heroes of Might and Magic games. What was great about them was that they consistently improved with every new game until when 3DO came into the picture and screwed things up.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
AnotherAvatar said:
It's been said, but I'll say it too: Troika. They made what might be one of the best RPGs ever.

I feel like with all the fan love that old team should really get together and make a kickstarter.
Thirded. Also I dunno if you'd find this compelling:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
ChupathingyX said:
That's an easy one:

*wipes away tear*

You shall never be forgotten!
Really? I thought they were rather average. What title did they do which enamoured them to you so?

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Bertylicious said:
Really? I thought they were rather average. What title did they do which enamoured them to you so?
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction, Destroy All Humans!, Destroy All Humans! 2 and Star Wars: Battlefront II.

Not only were they incredibly fun games to play but they also changed things about me personally, mainly Mercenaries (yeah I know that sounds really corny).

Mercenaries had this particular atmosphere that no other game I've played as ever come close to achieving. It's hard to pin-point it exactly but basically it hit this sweet spot with me that no other game has.

Both Destroy All Humans! games remain two of the funniest games I've ever played (reading people's minds never gets old) and are rather unique in their premise and story.

Star Wars: Battlefront II is the best Star Wars game I've played.

Also, they were mainly Australian which was just icing on the cake.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
ChupathingyX said:
Bertylicious said:
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction, Destroy All Humans!, Destroy All Humans! 2 and Star Wars: Battlefront II.

Not only were they incredibly fun games to play but they also changed things about me personally, mainly Mercenries (yeah I know that sounds really corny).

Mercenaries had this particular atmosphere that no other game I've played as ever come close to achieving. It's hard to pin-point it exactly but basically it hit this sweet spot with me that no other game has.

Both Destroy All Humans! games remain two of the funniest games I've ever played (reading people's minds never gets old) and are rather unique in their premise and story.

Star Wars: Battlefront II is the best Star Wars game I've played.

Also, they were mainly Australian which was just icing on the cake.
I stand corrected.

I'd be interested in learning how specifically Mercenaries touched you. Perhaps you could use some kind of doll?

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Bertylicious said:
I stand corrected.

I'd be interested in learning how specifically Mercenaries touched you. Perhaps you could use some kind of doll?
It actually made politics cool and interesting.

While simultaneously having entertaining characters with interesting relations to each other set in a feasible scenario.

Couple that with the fun gameplay, explosive mayhem, great voice acting, fitting soundtrack, various approaches to contracts, "the little things" and a good sense of humour.

The only game that I can compare it to in personal experience would be Fallout: New Vegas.

In other words, it touched the part of my brain that I was neglecting. The "modern political world around you" part of my brain which Destroy All Humans! built upon further in a different way.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Clover studios purely because of Okami one of my favourite games ever.(I like Platinum games though so its not all bad)

Squaresoft purely for FFVI and FFVII, IV and X were good as well the rest not so much (II was terrible) They didnt make excellent games all the time but when they did a good game it was very good. Im still waiting for Square Enix to deliver on the same sort of scale.

I think thats about it I really dont have favourite devs or publishers these were the only two that bothered me in the slightest when they shut down and merged accordingly

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Westwood. Not just for C&C series, but old stuff like The Legend of Kyrandia series and Lands of Lore series. I've always liked their name too.

I miss the golden years of Taito from the arcades as well.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
ChupathingyX said:
Bertylicious said:
I stand corrected.

It actually made politics cool and interesting.

While simultaneously having entertaining characters with interesting relations to each other set in a feasible scenario.

Couple that with the fun gameplay, explosive mayhem, great voice acting, fitting soundtrack, various approaches to contracts, "the little things" and a good sense of humour.

The only game that I can compare it to in personal experience would be Fallout: New Vegas.

In other words, it touched the part of my brain that I was neglecting. The "modern political world around you" part of my brain which Destroy All Humans! built upon further in a different way.
I can relate to that. I had a similar experience when I played Deus Ex; in the China missions there was a bartender with whom you could have a conversation about democracy versus communism, weak government versus strong government. It blew my tiny mind.

It was a transendental moment in my gaming life when up till that point the most revelatory gaming experience had been graduating from poo and bum to dick and cum.

Honestly there it is probably a thread in and of itself in looking at formative experiences in gaming.