Favourite Ship

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
The Balao class diesel-electric submarine:

or, now with more ghetto, the Gato class submarine:

and finally, the first and great, Tambor class submarine:

A big part of why I loved the early design phases of diesel-electric submarines was how similar they looked to certain classes of destroyers. Almost as though the original naval engineers sat down and just tried to make existing plans work underwater until they hit a point where they could stick a few sealed bulkheads between a compact diesel and the ocean and call it done.

They weren't especially pretty or all that fast, but they always screamed ingenuity under pressure to me.

RariShyZealot

May 31, 2011
Aerosteam said:
Fluttershy and Rarity
AHA! A man by my tastes ;)

On topic I gotta say either 'Da Looted Krooza' from 'Deffwotch the Series'; or the 'Daedalus' from Stargate, that ship was nothing special by most measures, but it always saved the day.

6urk17s

Nov 16, 2010
Redlin5 said:

...only the Hammerhead makes me want to jump into a dangerous system and fight swarms of Outcasts.

Self sufficient, heavily armed and turns tight. Nice cargo capacity too.
Barbas said:
The trusty and affordable 'Anubis' VH-class fighter from the tail end of Freelancer. It was the result of collaboration between some of the finest engineering minds of their time. Its armament, hull armour, shielding and speed got me through the worst kinds of trouble.

Its like neither of you know style.

Here are some other Outcast/Maltese ships from the Fan Mod Discovery that love:

and

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
6urk17s said:
Its like neither of you know style.
The Stiletto was a very narrow close second. I love that ship to death but I can't choose it over the Hammerhead. Also the Sabre disappoints and bores me. It's just a Stiletto with two pointless spars. Yawn.

I do need to get around to getting into Discovery at some point. I'm just chronically lazy when it comes to modding and I can play the vanilla game without complaints for hours. I will always love snaking across Omicron Alpha in my Hammerhead, getting into very difficult fights with at least 9 Outcast ships. It's a thrill.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
The Ragnarov-class Titan from Sins of a Solar Empire.

A massive railgun with an FTL drive is fun. Bonus points for its shotgun mode.

ShadowGandalf01

Oct 3, 2011
absulute said:
I always liked the USS Voyager, for it's pointlessly movable warp nacelles.
Not pointless... The general rule of Starships is that Warp Nacelles must have direct line of sight to each other in order to generate a stable Warp Field around the ship. So why do they swing down at all you ask? It's all part of the warp nacelle redesign that prevents warp systems from damaging the fabric of space....

Sorry to sound like a picky nerd. I got all this from the magazine I'm subscribed to, the official Star Trek Starships collection.

I'd say my fave ships are...

Real - Titanic (i have an Airfix model i built of it)
Fictional - Voyager from Star Trek (we have that in common)

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
In EVE Online:

My favorite all-around ship is the Hurricane. It can handle a wide variety of situations in both PVE and PVP. It doesn't have the defensive power of the Drake or a battleship, but it makes up for it with being very fast and having about 1.75x the damage output of the Drake. It was nerfed recently (with good reason, as it was a little OP) to make it a little fairer when pitched against the other ships in its class, but the overall playstyle that the Hurricane follows is still my favorite. Its upgraded tier, the Republic Fleet Hurricane (which is the old un-nerfed Hurricane) is basically the regular 'cane, but better, and it can go toe-to-toe with nearly any sub-capital and come out victorious. Its weakness is stasis webifiers, which take away its dodging ability ("Speed tank"), but that can be countered with fleet support or having some onboard EWAR or capacitor drainers.

For PVP, I generally like the versatile Rifter. It can be fitted for speed, offense, or defense. Obviously it's outclassed by higher-tier ships like the Dramiel or its T2 variants or Interceptors, but the Rifter was my first PVP ship and will always be one of my favorites. Also, low cost can be a significant advantage because it allows you to take some pretty stupid risks with it, and that always results in a good time.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Redlin5 said:
I'm well aware of that. Doesn't make it any less cool. I like to imagine such ships at Jutland.

Don't know exact details of her sinking. Submarines are cheaters anyway.
He, well of course a vessel like that would have been quite dominate in a WWI era engagement.

There has been a lot of number crunching though to postulate that the Yamato would still have not fared much better against a contemporary battleship of its time in a one on one fight. The 18.1" guns she carried didn't actually contribute that much more significantly to its range and total boardside weight, and while it certainly had one of the thickest belt armors around, it was plagued with inferior quality metal - due to when it was produced during the war. This was also hampered by less than stellar blindfire fire control compared to its contemporaries. Iowa and South Dakota class ships were already firing past the visual horizon.

Those were actually torpedo bombers that delivered the finally salvo to sink her - hense why being undergunned in AA during that time was a big mistake, but it still took 11 torpedoes and 6 bombs to do it. It's a cool ship none the less, but like I said my inner historian flares up when it's put on pedestal. The Japanese were doing far cooler things with their destroyer tactics any ways.

Meinos Kaen

Jun 17, 2009
NarutoXHinata. *feels dagger stares* Ehm, nevermind. I'll go with the headquarters from Suikoden 4.

Reiper

Mar 26, 2009
Kolby Jack said:
Queen Michael said:

And if that doesn't count for some silly reason, my choice is the Enterprise. Seems like the nice way to travel.
You *****! RON AND KIM FOREVER! ALSO I ALREADY WIN BECAUSE IT'S CANON. XD
I never understood the whole "Kigo" thing, where did it even come from!? Though I did find Ron more annoying in season 4...

OT: I make the controversial decision of choosing the NX-01 enterprise!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I would have to say the Retribution Class Battleship of Warhammer 40k.

From its armoured prow to its insane broadside armament, it is my favorite 'kill everything that it meets' warship.

Honorable mentions go the the Raganov Titan from Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion for be being the Orkish concept of being a gun with smaller guns strapped to it and the Sovereign class from Star Trek, the Porsche of Federation starships.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Slycne said:
my inner historian flares up when it's put on pedestal.
Haha, that's fair. I react similarly when people suggest that the decision to stick with Sherman production instead of beginning Pershing production was right because of the Sherman's "better" mobility. >.<

[sub][sub]The argument that access to having such a large pool of Shermans in the late war period was better gets some concessions from me but I still think American war industry was efficient enough to produce enough Pershings to achieve the same goal with less sacrifice.[/sub][/sub]

*ahem*

Getting carried away. <.<

The Japanese were doing far cooler things with their destroyer tactics any ways.
Do you have any WWII naval tactic books to recommend? I like authors like John Keegan but I'd check out anyone's work on the subject. I'd like to dive more into the naval history of the world when I'm looking for fun reading.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Redlin5 said:
Do you have any WWII naval tactic books to recommend? I like authors like John Keegan but I'd check out anyone's work on the subject. I'd like to dive more into the naval history of the world when I'm looking for fun reading.
Hilter's U-Boat War by Clay Blair was an interesting read. Most of what everyone knows and is taught about German submarine warfare and its effectiveness was rubbish. There were certain some brilliant captains and commanders, but they kept getting misappropriated by folks higher in the Naval chain of command. Fair warning: it's quite exhaustive and reads more like an encyclopedia.

One of my roommates has been recommending another one about the Pacific theater, something about a bunch of resurfaced documents and getting to see the reports from both sides. I think it might be Eagle Against the Sun, but I'll double check on that.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
Off the top of my head I would say that my favourite ship is the Japanese fleet carrier Shokaku. It was a really nice looking carrier and proved to be quite handy throughout the early part of the Pacific War. Though her sister-ship Zuikaku had a much more distinguished career.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
My favorite would have to be the X Wing Starfighter from Star Wars. I like its look, capabilities, and it's my favorite ship to use in the Rouge Squadron games for its overall balanced performance.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
Slycne said:
Hilter's U-Boat War by Clay Blair was an interesting read. Most of what everyone knows and is taught about German submarine warfare and its effectiveness was rubbish. There were certain some brilliant captains and commanders, but they kept getting misappropriated by folks higher in the Naval chain of command. Fair warning: it's quite exhaustive and reads more like an encyclopedia.

One of my roommates has been recommending another one about the Pacific theater, something about a bunch of resurfaced documents and getting to see the reports from both sides. I think it might be Eagle Against the Sun, but I'll double check on that.
It definitely wouldn't be Eagle Against the Sun by Ronald Spector, as that one is a pretty old single-volume, general history of the Pacific War (it is from the early 1980s if my memory serves). Eagle Against the Sun is very good for what it is, but a fair amount of his scholarship is now outdated.

I'm not quite sure what book your roommate would be referring to. Is it in regards to the submarine war specifically?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
A_Parked_Car said:
It definitely wouldn't be Eagle Against the Sun by Ronald Spector, as that one is a pretty old single-volume, general history of the Pacific War (it is from the early 1980s if my memory serves). Eagle Against the Sun is very good for what it is, but a fair amount of his scholarship is now outdated.

I'm not quite sure what book your roommate would be referring to. Is it in regards to the submarine war specifically?
No, it was more an overall focus of naval engagements in the Pacific, driving some new commentary based on recently released/found Japanese naval reports. I could have sworn it had Eagle in the title and that was the first one that came up when I searched, but that does seem to be older than what he'd indicated when we were chatting about it.

Falien

Nov 21, 2008
I'm an old fart, and every time ships are mentioned, I think of The Odyssey from Ulysses 31 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_31]:

Also, not a ship per se, but still a favourite: