Favourite Video Game Soundtrack

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Gears of War. I frickin' loved that game's music. I'm slightly surprised nobody mentioned it before me.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Halo soundtrack

Marty O'Donell is a great composer

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Where to start... I don't really have a favourite, so here goes...
Stalker - the trilogy all boast really, really suitable atmospheric stuff
KOTOR - both games, particularly the first have amazing soundtracks
Dawn of War (not all of it, but stuff like the Eldar Theme in Retribution)
Total Annihilation - the epic orchestral really works in battles
Shogun: Total War - it deserved an award for its soundtrack alone
Rome: Total War - really helped build up the game, especially Arab Winter, that was an epic track.
Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2 - yeah technically it doesn't count because its largely, if not all from the films...
The Age of Empires/Age of Mythology series - has had some epic tracks, some of which have been remixed for later games as far as I'm aware
Call of Duty 4 - of all fpses I've ever played, that's got one of the best
Crackdown - that game introduced me to a ton of artists I'd never heard of, but appreciate now
Fallouts 3 and New Vegas - the radio stuff was good, but the actually ambient stuff was even better
Mass Effect - both games again
Ace Combats 4,5,0 and a bit of 6's soundtrack are all epic
And finally Oblivion

Skyrim seems to have an epic soundtrack, but I've yet to play it, mainly because I have exams that must be passed first...

Gali

Nov 19, 2009
Lost Odsyssey. My favorite soundtrack of all time and Nobuo Uematsu's best work in my opinion. There is so much variety (instruments, moods...) in it and it goes well with the cutscenes and gameplay - I never get tired hearing the normal battle and boss battle themes. :)

My second choice would be the Halo ODST soundtrack. Don't get me wrong, I really like the music of the original Halo series, but the ODST soundtrack goes in a different direction and still has the "Halo effect" - that's really cool. It surprised me when I played this game for the first time. This track [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBnbJXO4JIk] is a good summary of it.

I also liked Stephen Rippy's version [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z89adFGjR3g] of Halo and, of course, his previous work in Age of Empires/Mythology.

There are more videogame soundtracks I love to hear. One last honorable mention: Guild Wars (Eye of the North) [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rOve2SuLMg].

duktapeman90

Fhqwhgads
Aug 16, 2009
Probably a tie between Final Fantasy VII and Kingdom Hearts (all of them).
Yeah, I know both of those were never *technically* in the games. Still the same song, same composer, just different versions.
Edit: Oh shit, almost forgot The Bastion. I actually own the soundtrack to that.

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
I am Disappoint.

Not a single mention to Christopher tin's Baba Yetu (Sid Meier's Civilization IV) , Which won a Grammy award. The first video-game Soundtrack to win a Grammy, might I add.

Another honorable mention to FFX and Halo

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Red Alert 2, Oblivion. Haven't played Skyrim yet, i'm sure that soundtrack will become a fave. Oh, all GTA games, specially Vice City, what can I say, being a child of the 80's im partial :)

Narfo

May 26, 2009
Okami and Beyond Good and Evil. These are two musical collections that I will never get tired of.
I'm hoping to add Skyrim to the list.

Neoseek

Mar 14, 2010
Off the top of my head
Blazblue
Guity Gear
Okami
Metroid Prime
Sonic Generations

the spud

May 2, 2011
Maybe not my absolute favorite, but I am still posting it just because I guarantee only a small portion of you have ever heard of it.
That was just one of the many beautiful scores in the game. Just one more reason you need to play this game.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
Dead Space 2's soundtrack has to be the best soundtrack I have ever heard, ESPECIALLY the first track- Isaac, Are You There

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
vivalahelvig said:
half-life series, definetely.
I'm a fan of rock and technoish beats.
First OST was like that but Half-Life 2 wondered into dark ambient, it doesn't make it any less fantastic though.