FEMALE gamers VS MALE gamers

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I can't take the first one. Aside from the garish yellow color, I'd need a dictionary just to understand what the answers mean. Did a 4th year college english professor write that?

gamingbruin

Mar 8, 2009
Hahahaha. Actually, he's a professor that's teaching the Human Complex Systems minor. I don't know if that means anything to you guys (not very many people know this minor). UCLA is the only university in the world that offers it as a minor to undergraduates. Other graduate schools, however, have it.

Anyway, I have the primary demographic info and stuff.
The actual nitty gritty of reading into the juicy response you gave me has yet to happen..
But here are some general statistics to satiate your needs (and see where the info is coming from).

(1) A whopping 45% you scored as theorists! Go figure. 31% of you are catalysts, 12% improvisers, 21% stabilizer.
(2) Average age of responders was 21-22, with the max at 50 and minimum at 13. The mode was 18.
(3) 49 females responded, while 187 males responded. Eesh, that's 80% males! :p
(4) 81% of you that responded were Caucasian. The next highest percentage was 10%...which were those of mixed ethnicities.

Alright, well, the truly interesting information has yet to be read, processed, and analyzed by me. I shall be back. :p

gamingbruin

Mar 8, 2009
Oops, forgot one interesting factoid while running the data..

While gamers in general are very heavily dominated by theorists (in my sample, at least), there is a difference between females and males.

Females are predominantly catalysts (about 40%), and then theorists (38%, not too far behind).
Male gamers on the other hand are predominantly theorists (48%), and then catalysts (28%, pretty far behind).

Jiki

Jan 21, 2008
Damn, already forgot everything I read in the first test about the results. Mind you, where could one satisfy anew-born interest in those such classy words?

gamingbruin

Mar 8, 2009
Jiki said:
Damn, already forgot everything I read in the first test about the results. Mind you, where could one satisfy anew-born interest in those such classy words?
Sure thing.
I posted a link up there (http://www.interstrength.com/curriculum/temperament.html) for those that wanted to learn more about the temperament theory itself.
Here's the pasted tidbits from each temperament..(for those that are too lazy to click :p)

People of the
Catalyst? Temperament . . .
(Diplomatic Skill Set)

Want to be authentic, benevolent, and empathic. Search for identity, meaning, and significance. Are relationship oriented, particularly valuing meaningful relationships. Tend to be idealistic and visionary, wanting to make the world a better place. Look to the future. Trust their intuition, imagination, and impressions. Focus on developing potential, fostering and facilitating growth through coaching, teaching, counseling, and communicating. Generally are enthusiastic. Think in terms of integration and similarities and look for universals. Often are gifted in the use of metaphors to bridge different perspectives. Usually are diplomatic. Frequently are drawn to work that inspires and develops people and relationships.

People of the
Stabilizer? Temperament . . .
(Logistical Skill Set)

Want to fit in, to have membership. Hunger for responsibility, accountability, and predictability. Tend to be generous, to serve, and to do their duty. Establish and maintain institutions and standard operating procedures. Tend to protect and preserve, to stand guard and warn. Look to the past and tradition. Foster enculturation with ceremonies and rules. Trust contracts and authority. Want security and stability. Think in terms of what is conventional, comparisons, associations, and discrete elements. Generally are serious, concerned, and fatalistic. Usually are skilled at ensuring that things, information, and people are in the right place, in the right amounts, in the right quality, at the right time. Frequently gravitate toward business and commerce.

People of the
Theorist? Temperament . . .
(Strategic Skill Set)

Want knowledge and to be competent, to achieve mastery. Seek expertise to understand how the world and things in it work. Are theory oriented. See everything as conditional and relative. Are oriented to the infinite. Trust logic and reason. Want to have a rationale for everything. Are skeptical. Think in terms of differences, delineating categories, definitions, structures, and functions. Hunger for precision, especially in thought and language. Usually are skilled at long-range planning, inventing, designing, and defining. Generally are calm. Foster individualism. Frequently gravitate toward technology and the sciences. Tend to be well suited for engineering and devising strategy, whether in the social sciences or physical sciences.

People of the
Improviser? Temperament . . .
(Tactical Skill Set)

Want the freedom to choose the next act. Seek to have impact, to get results. Want to be graceful, bold, and impressive. Generally are excited and optimistic. Are absorbed in the action of the moment. Are oriented toward the present. Seek adventure and stimulation. Hunger for spontaneity. Trust impulses, luck, and their ability to solve any problem they run into. Think in terms of variation. Have a talent for noticing and describing rich detail, constantly seeking relevant information. Like freedom to move, festivities, and games. Tend to be natural negotiators. Seize opportunities. Usually are gifted tacticians, deciding the best move to make in the moment, the expedient action to take. Are frequently drawn to all kinds of work that requires variation on a theme.

I guess it makes sense most gamers are theorists. They seek to be "experts" and to achieve "mastery" in things they do, among other things. They also typically plan things out more than the other temperaments.

Okay, back to studying...:(

mark_n_b

Mar 24, 2008
female players occupy about 45% of the game-player space right now. So for someone doing research on the subject you should be careful about saying "rare-breed".

The development side of things does tend to be male dominant, but even that is changing. For PR a lot of women are getting promoted into leadership and design (front line) roles more and more regularly.

This is a practice that will slow down as more women join the development scene.

Careful about making assumptions, it influences research and ultimately de-validates it. The numbers break down differently depending how you break it down, you find a LOT more men in the FPS space, Japanese gaming demographics are completely different than NA / European ones... etc.

Jiki

Jan 21, 2008
Psychology is fascinating, only too bad these kinda things fail a bit since despite people being more dominant in one way, they're also quite layered, being able to find more than a few points relating to them from other types as well rendering the results kinda less meaningful. For example at first, when doing the test, I got quite confused which would describes me the best (in the end going with the catalyst which, if the test is to be believed, proved quite right).

Also, a flaw in self-testing is the tester itself since despite answering only to their own little self, people tend to sway for the answers they prefer, not what might be more accurate. Which also raises the question of perception though that might just be my cynical side talking.

One thing about the theorist gamers though - calm? Heh, nice one.

RowdyRukia

Mar 9, 2008
wow! i was one of the amazing 49 chicks to contribute! and a theorist to boot! none of that "making connections/relationship" stuff lol.
oh and to the boys looking to find themselves a girl gamer, heres a tip/trick. next time ur out w/ friends and u see a group of girls, mention something game related loud enough for them to overhear. the one to look around like a deer in the headlights for the source of the comment(you) is a total gamer. Good Luck!
*oh and u get bonus points if they respond to a "Jack Thompson" comment.*