Fez Review

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Why I oughta... fezzes will never be cool and bow ties ceased being cool when it was first uttered.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
I was never interested in this project to begin with, and after seeing how much the creator has his head stuck up his ass i'd rather just not support him at all.
But thanks for letting me know, Escapist.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Hmm, looks interesting; if it ever comes to the PC maybe I'll grab it. I love 2D platformers that require some thinking, like VVVVVV.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Lacking a 360, I can only hope for a port until I actually acquire one, or set out to actually buy one, since there are now enough games for it that I want to validate the purchase. This kind of puzzle platforming is what I want to see in the 3DS Paper Mario title, if that's still in the works.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Was a good game. Shame it really starts to become all too easy once a few pieces start falling into place. Took many hours to get the first few anti-cubes, and only a few more to get all the rest, barring waiting for that damn clock to come around...

But now, been there, done that, have the heart cubes to prove it. Want more "cerebral" platformers like this one on XBL. Braid never quite scratched the same itch.

I'm also confused about the whole Fish thing. I've heard people claim he said --all-- Japanese development sucks, and always has. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was a dismissal of contemporary development, say, this console cycle in particular, that they are, to turn a phrase, a shadow of what they used to be? That was the impression I got from the whole controversy, but there's a measurable number that keeps insisting otherwise.

Which is it?

Because, to me, in more than one way, the game started off like some long love letter to the Japanese games of yore (with more than one extremely powerful nod to Zelda in the bargain), so I'm getting a bit of a logical disconnect from all this.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
It is a fun game! I bought it because of the caustic statement, then it turned out fun.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Phil Fish said a lot more than just calling out the Japanese game industry. Like, for example, calling a whole lot of his Twitter followers dicks and (I believe) being a massive xenophobe.

Have you not watched the Jimquisition episode on the subject? XD

vid87

May 17, 2010
I don't know what's weirder - that this is really similar to Super Paper Mario, or that an indie developer can put more details and complexity into a game than, well, Nintendo.

Aug 20, 2011
The demo was weak as shit. Just really lame platforming and non-puzzles. The art style is a turn off, too. It's that ironic-retro-hipster bullshit that seems to permeate every level of this game.

I know the reviews have been positive, but with the amount of hype that was built up around this thing, I didn't really expect any reviewers to be anything less than glowing.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Great review Susan! Had me laugh out loud a few times, I'll give this game a look.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
unoleian said:
Was a good game. Shame it really starts to become all too easy once a few pieces start falling into place. Took many hours to get the first few anti-cubes, and only a few more to get all the rest, barring waiting for that damn clock to come around...

But now, been there, done that, have the heart cubes to prove it. Want more "cerebral" platformers like this one on XBL. Braid never quite scratched the same itch.

I'm also confused about the whole Fish thing. I've heard people claim he said --all-- Japanese development sucks, and always has. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was a dismissal of contemporary development, say, this console cycle in particular, that they are, to turn a phrase, a shadow of what they used to be? That was the impression I got from the whole controversy, but there's a measurable number that keeps insisting otherwise.

Which is it?

Because, to me, in more than one way, the game started off like some long love letter to the Japanese games of yore (with more than one extremely powerful nod to Zelda in the bargain), so I'm getting a bit of a logical disconnect from all this.
He told a Japanese developer that all his countrys games suck. Then he backed it up and said current Japanese games suck. Still a stupid statement IMO.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
l3o2828 said:
I was never interested in this project to begin with, and after seeing how much the creator has his head stuck up his ass i'd rather just not support him at all.
But thanks for letting me know, Escapist.
I can totally respect that.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Anyone want Fez textures in Minecraft? http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_pack/fez-by-edgepixel/

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
When it comes to PC I will take a look on it

likalaruku said:
Anyone want Fez textures in Minecraft? http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_pack/fez-by-edgepixel/
Looks awesome (especially the sky), but unfortunately I currently play MC with TechnicPack on so I don't think both will blend well, but I might give it a try.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Looks like an interesting little game. I'm a nut for retro-styled modern games, if it ever comes to PC, I'll definitively grab it.