FF13-3 pretty much confirmed

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a401012/final-fantasy-xiii-3-teased-as-site-confirms-new-lightning-saga.html

Final Fantasy XIII-3 has been suggested by a new teaser website.

Square Enix will announce a new direction for the Lightning saga at an anniversary event next month.

Titled "A Storm Gathers", a new teaser site confirms that the next chapter in Lightning's story will be unveiled by the director, producer, art director on September 1.

"FINAL FANTASY XIII TEAM TO PRESENT NEW DIRECTION FOR THE SAGA OF KEY CHARACTER, LIGHTNING," reads a post on the site.

"The 'Lightning Saga' that started with the release of Final Fantasy XIII, has achieved a cumulative shipment of over 9.6 million units; and in May 2012 Final Fantasy XIII-2 was brought to conclusion with the add-on content entitled Lightning's Story: Requiem of the Goddess."
How did a game that ended the way FF13 did get two sequels?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I hate square-enix . It breaks my heart to say this , being a fan since 1990 , but i can't do it anymore . It's funny , squaresoft had great games , Enix had great game . Logically square-Enix should be fuckig amazin . But nooo something went wrong and we got this . So much potential squandered . Makes me sad man .

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Elect G-Max said:
Wait, there was a Final Fantasy 13-2?
No . And don't go searching for it . It doesn't exist , you hear me , it doesn't . Let's agree to never speak about this again.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Simples.

FFXIII really didn't resolve everything and was a little blah[footnote]degrees of 'blah' varies from person to person[/footnote], and that game's ending left it wide open for FFXIII-2 to come in. After that, that sequel left a huge cliffhanger at the end and one of the DLC hinted at the next sequel.

After that? Damned if I know, but this makes me happy. :D

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
krazykidd said:
Elect G-Max said:
No . And don't go searching for it . It doesn't exist , you hear me , it doesn't . Let's agree to never speak about this again.
I thought FF13-2 was liked more then FF13?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Simples.

FFXIII really didn't resolve everything and was a little blah[footnote]degrees of 'blah' varies from person to person[/footnote], and that game's ending left it wide open for FFXIII-2 to come in. After that, that sequel left a huge cliffhanger at the end and one of the DLC hinted at the next sequel.

How did FF13 ending leave the ending right open? Everything was resolved , the ending was bittersweet . But it was finished . Now suddenly everything was an illusion ? All in serahs mind? Really ? No . It was done . SE just decided " NOPE NEVER HAPPENED YOU SAW IT WRONG", which is absolute bullshit .

Korten12 said:
krazykidd said:
Elect G-Max said:
I thought FF13-2 was liked more then FF13?
It's 50/50 . I'll admit they did somethings better , but they did a lot of things worst in my opinion .

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
FF13 was 40 hours long, FF13-2 was 25 hours long, so I guess FF13-3 will be about 10 hours long, with all the rest sold as DLC? Don't get me wrong, I like FF13-2, but it was too short for the price I paid for it, and seemed to be designed around selling tonnes of expensive DLC. If its not longer than FF13-2 in the box then I won't be buying it at full price, simple as.

Dec 14, 2009
I love that FF13, considered one of the weakest entries in the series, is getting 2 sequels.

it boggles the mind :D

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
krazykidd said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Simples.

How did FF13 ending leave the ending right open? Everything was resolved , the ending was bittersweet . But it was finished . Now suddenly everything was an illusion ? All in serahs mind? Really ? No . It was done . SE just decided " NOPE NEVER HAPPENED YOU SAW IT WRONG", which is absolute bullshit .
It wasn't 'all in Serah's minds' and I'm not gonna excuse SE for not doing the best job at explaining time paradoxes, it was a little clunky. And everything wasn't resolved, like what happens to everyone since Cocoon is no more, and some of the Data logs hinted at somethings that never happened in the first game, but totally did in the next one.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Eh, jeez. Whyyyy?
This only furthers my theory that SE hates gamers and wants us to not play their games by making them as shitty as possible.
I loved you once, Final Fantasy!

Captcha: less is more.
It certainly would be.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Yeah, the "To be continued" ending for FF13-2 (as I've heard) made it pretty obvious.

As for why/how? Left over art assets + easier to make more than something new. Plus I believe it sold pretty well too.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
I love that FF13, considered one of the weakest entries in the series, is getting 2 sequels.

it boggles the mind :D
This.

I've never really been a fan on Final Fantasy, but the direction they're taking it just boggles the mind. Versus actually looked interesting to me. I'm sure the same can be said for many other people who are also put off by the usual tropes FF adamantly stick to, yet instead they make two fucking sequels to a game that no-one liked and was supposed to be released with Versus together in one box!

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
krazykidd said:
I hate square-enix . It breaks my heart to say this , being a fan since 1990 , but i can't do it anymore . It's funny , squaresoft had great games , Enix had great game . Logically square-Enix should be fuckig amazin . But nooo something went wrong and we got this . So much potential squandered . Makes me sad man .
If you look at the talent that was working for them before the merger you will see that many left when it happened.

For example a big part of why I love FF is the music. Nobuo Uematsu, who did all the music upto 9 and most of 10 left after work on 10 was finished.I cannot remember a single bit of music from 12 or 13.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I suppose I really should get around to playing XIII-2. I was very happy they made a sequel to XIII because that ending was "out of the frying pan, into the fire" in my opinion. Everyone is now stranded on what they literally believe to be Hell, no more tech, no training on how to live, no nothing. Logically, they should have all been dead within months with all the monsters running around. Once I heard that XIII-2 has a cliffhanger ending, I was a little worried to finish it, but now I'll go and wrap it up.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Well, I would post a picture to express my feelings, but pictures of people beating dead horses would be too tasteless. I mean, I think that FF XIII exemplifies almost everything that is wrong with the modern RPG.

The simple fact that SquareEnix has to turn to FF XIII to recoup losses from FF XIV shows just how desperate the company has become, and just how bankrupt of talent they really are. Interestingly enough, I say this as a fan of many of the early Square RPGs, including FF VI, Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana, but they have long worn my goodwill thin, especially with FF XIII.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I suppose I'll get it once the price drops to £9, like with FFXIII-2. It was better than FFXIII, but not by much.
Still, move the fuck on, SE.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
You know, this reminds me of a news article I saw years back saying that Square-Enix wanted to release a new (major) Final Fantasy every year....

I guess they weren't lying...

Sure, FF XIII wasn't the best one.. (hell, I've seen it argued as one of the worst) but, the reason it's getting a second sequel is because (from my maths) of that business plan Square put in several months/years ago...

kinda sad though, the way that Final Fantasy, instead of being an absolutely brilliant game seen twice a console generation, is now turning into another "samey" game that is seen once every year like every single franchise under EA's or Activision's banner...

makes me sad man...