FF13-3 pretty much confirmed

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I happened to love Final Fantasy XIII, and Lightning being my favorite female character, but I would take Versus XIII over XIII-3 anyday.

Though more Lightning is cool.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
I enjoyed both XIII and XIII-2. Nothing you can do about it guys. I realize they could've ended it in XIII-2, and they're probably just cashing in, but still it's an enjoyable game with enjoyable gameplay.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
DracoSuave said:
But the rest of this doesn't make sense. Yes, FF13's game mechanics are meh. So what? Your solution then is... because they invested so much time and money in making a good game engine that it took away from other aspects of development, that they should throw out the VERY useable product of that time and money, and reinvest MORE money into it that could be used towards other aspects of development?

They need to go back and look at what made their most successful games work, and start trying to return to their roots. But at least they tried something new with the battle system. It's when the Final Fantasy teams STOP trying to innovate new game mechanics that you need to call for heads.
That's exactly the problem I have with it! As is, the Crystal Engine is not that good an engine. Does it have potential? Yes. Should they keep the graphics rendering framework? Yes.

But as is, I don't think the engine is "good" as a whole.

It needs work. Work that hadn't been done yet for FF XIII-2 and - excuse my prejudice - I doubt it will have been done with FF XIII-3.

In my original comment, I stated that: "They wasted all that time and effort making that worthless 'Crystal Engine'". Now, that may be a bit harsh, but it doesn't take away that - up until know - they have shown they do not know how to handle the creation and maintenance of a reusable in-house engine. So I will stand by my statement until Square Enix proves me wrong.

By the way, I've always admired the fact that they re-invent themselves with every game. (though, again, the FF XIII saga isn't exactly a great example of that: same engine, same models, continuing the same storyline, sticking to the same combat mechanic, same stat accrual system, same paradigms... Well, except for that whole monster thing.)

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
DracoSuave said:
But the rest of this doesn't make sense. Yes, FF13's game mechanics are meh. So what? Your solution then is... because they invested so much time and money in making a good game engine that it took away from other aspects of development, that they should throw out the VERY useable product of that time and money, and reinvest MORE money into it that could be used towards other aspects of development?

They need to go back and look at what made their most successful games work, and start trying to return to their roots. But at least they tried something new with the battle system. It's when the Final Fantasy teams STOP trying to innovate new game mechanics that you need to call for heads.
That's exactly the problem I have with it! As is, the Crystal Engine is not that good an engine. Does it have potential? Yes. Should they keep the graphics rendering framework? Yes.

But as is, I don't think the engine is "good" as a whole.

It needs work. Work that hadn't been done yet for FF XIII-2 and - excuse my prejudice - I doubt it will have been done with FF XIII-3.

In my original comment, I stated that: "They wasted all that time and effort making that worthless 'Crystal Engine'". Now, that may be a bit harsh, but it doesn't take away that - up until know - they have shown they do not know how to handle the creation and maintenance of a reusable in-house engine. So I will stand by my statement until Square Enix proves me wrong.
But they DO, and they HAVE in the past, many times over. What's wrong with their engine? It doesn't come with a lot of bugs at all, in fact, it's incredibly well polished. Didn't you mention the Unreal 3 engine? The engine that when you see it you can anticipate exactly what bugs are going to pop out of it and exactly how plastic everything is going to look?

By the way, I've always admired the fact that they re-invent themselves with every game. (though, again, the FF XIII saga isn't exactly a great example of that: same engine, same models, continuing the same storyline, sticking to the same combat mechanic, same stat accrual system, same paradigms... Well, except for that whole monster thing.)
Well on the other hand, one could say that the reinvention between X and X-2 wasn't a good thing because there should be some interconnection between the games. I dunno what the right answer is there... but I think if FF13 had better received game mechanics, it'd not look so bad to see it revisited in 13-2.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
As long as VS isn't cancelled then I don't care. I will shove my head in the sand and ignore all the stupid shit that SE does until that game sees the light of day. But I swear, if they fuck it up somehow, I'm done. That's it. End of the road SE.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Sweet! *Puts up flameshield*

I loved FFXIII-2, I think it was an excellent Final Fantasy game with enjoyable characters and an easier story to follow. I didn't like FF13 because it mucked up too much but FFXIII-2 fixed pretty much all my problems.

Call me crazy, but I am excited!
Same, 13-2 is one of the best games I've played this entire generation. I loved every minute of it, and the ending had me screaming and begging at my TV for more. Structurally, the game really reminded me of Chrono Trigger, which is anything but a bad thing. :)

also, 13-2 really made Lightning jump to the top of the list of my favorite FF characters. Sucks S-E never released a 13-2 costume DLC for Duodecim....

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
kyosai7 said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Sweet! *Puts up flameshield*

I loved FFXIII-2, I think it was an excellent Final Fantasy game with enjoyable characters and an easier story to follow. I didn't like FF13 because it mucked up too much but FFXIII-2 fixed pretty much all my problems.

Call me crazy, but I am excited!
Same, 13-2 is one of the best games I've played this entire generation. I loved every minute of it, and the ending had me screaming and begging at my TV for more. Structurally, the game really reminded me of Chrono Trigger, which is anything but a bad thing. :)

also, 13-2 really made Lightning jump to the top of the list of my favorite FF characters. Sucks S-E never released a 13-2 costume DLC for Duodecim....
Exactly, considering I didn't like 13, I was surprised on how much I liked 13-2, hell, Noel is one of my favorite FF characters. Please Square, don't much this up, I want to see how everything gets wrapped up!

Also, I hope we get a new Dissidia soon, on the Vita preferably, with every game having at least 3 characters, and all outfits are different, not just shitty palette swaps. FF13 has a definitive villain to add (Caius)and Noel would rock that game! Make it happen Square!
13-3, or whatever they call it, is going to be a day 1 buy for me. The stakes can't get much higher than with what happened in 2. Noel was indeed pretty awesome, as we Serah. I even liked Hope, and I despised him in 13! I'm wondering if this focus on Lightning shows a shift away from the old "Fabula Nova Crystalis" thing. If so, I have no complaints. More Lightning, and a good continuation with whatever the next game with Lightning is, isn't a bad thing :)

TheLizardKing

May 4, 2012
Oh great. A sequel that nobody asked for to the sequel that nobody asked for to the game nobody asked for. Woohoo!

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
I for one am not surprised in the least keeping in mind the final ending to XIII-2 was pretty much "everyone's dead, world's ended, tough". I don't know of any game that has ever ended like that, that hasn't ended up with a sequel (unless the company collapsed or was bought by EA).

I also really don't like the fact that, as Yahtzee points out, the game actually doesn't want you playing it since the XIII group will use the same awful battlesystem. Still, at least they didn't do what VIII did with the enemies that level with you making training pointless as the boss will always be stronger.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Arina Love said:
awesome! Loved FF XIII and FF XIII-2 can't wait for continuation of story!
I agree with you Arina! I don't see why people always complain about these games. I loved them. If you don't like them and they don't interest you there is a simple solution. Just don't buy them! I notice people are almost to the point of anger when they hear about these games. No one is sticking a gun to your head and forcing you to buy them and play them.

KrossBillNye

Jan 25, 2010
Ando85 said:
Arina Love said:
I agree with you Arina! I don't see why people always complain about these games. I loved them. If you don't like them and they don't interest you there is a simple solution. Just don't buy them! I notice people are almost to the point of anger when they hear about these games. No one is sticking a gun to your head and forcing you to buy them and play them.
Simple Ando.

I love FF games. When I played FF-XIII that wasn't Final Fantasy. That was movie mode. It was horrible.

The tutorials on the game play was retarded, the game play was horrible, the story wasn't bad. That is one of the very few plus's I would give this game.

I bought the game expecting what I have seen in ALL Final Fantasy games. What I got was a pile of manure and I was upset.

It ruined my 20 years of experience with the franchise.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
KrossBillNye said:
Ando85 said:
Arina Love said:
Simple Ando.

I love FF games. When I played FF-XIII that wasn't Final Fantasy. That was movie mode. It was horrible.

The tutorials on the game play was retarded, the game play was horrible, the story wasn't bad. That is one of the very few plus's I would give this game.

I bought the game expecting what I have seen in ALL Final Fantasy games. What I got was a pile of manure and I was upset.

It ruined my 20 years of experience with the franchise.
I guess I reacted differently. I loved FF13, but that is beside the point. I was in fact disappointed with Final Fantasy 12. I wasn't really angry though. After that I had low expectations with 13, but actually ended up loving it. My favorite Final Fantasy was either 7 or 9. I didn't like 8 as much as I thought I would another example. I just don't think a game I don't personally like in a series is enough to ruin a complete series for me. 7 and 9 will always be great games no matter what to me.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
**sigh**

I'm thrilled to hear that FF 13-3 is getting published soon. I look forward to the resolution of the cliff-hanger from FF 13-2.

However, this thread makes me so sad. It's as bad as the Bioware hate threads. If you don't like something, fine, but stop crapping on things I love.

I don't go into Halo or Gears of War threads and talk about how much they suck, do I? No, I don't. If you're only going to contribute hate to a thread, seriously, piss off. You're killing my buzz.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
That's the Square Enix i remember! Sleeping Dogs did alright critically so naturally they follow it up by announcing a back breakingly stupid idea lest they become a respected company. Why haven't they just let Eidos completely take the reins and give up on the genre they personally murdered?

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Look, I love FFXIII in my personal opinion and I think it is a brilliant FF game. However, Square Enix should not make sequels to FF games since they never work out, It's why I haven't bothered to play FFXIII-2 because it just looks absolutely terrible, so please no more sequels.

You'd think they would have learnt their lesson with FFX-2.